Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Note From Waters Regarding The New Pink Floyd Album

A Note From Waters Regarding The New Pink Floyd Album

I figure my post in the Endless River cover thread could be an interesting thread in itself-

https://www.facebook.com/notes/roger...49195815094869

A note from Roger - September 30, 2014.
    September 30, 2014 at 2:04pm

**Dear Friends

Some people have been asking Laurie, my wife, about a new album I have coming out in November. Errhh? I don't have an album coming out, they are probably confused. David Gilmour and Nick Mason have an album coming out. It's called Endless River. David and Nick constitute the group Pink Floyd. I on the other hand, am not part of Pink Floyd. I left Pink Floyd in 1985, that's 29 years ago. I had nothing to do with either of the Pink Floyd studio albums, Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell, nor the Pink Floyd tours of 1987 and 1994, and I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip.**

Wow! Get a grip???? He asserts quite frankly that he's got nothing to do with Pink Floyd yet makes no mention of how he's been milking the bands name via his Wall tour, not to mention the previous Dark Side Of The Moon tour or all the other tours during the past 29 years constituting mostly PF material. Wow again...get a grip Roger.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Well, to be fair he's only been doing "mostly Pink Floyd material" since 1999. I think on his 80's era tours, he was doing one set of solo material and one set of Floyd material (or at least that's what he did on the Pros And Cons tours, I think maybe the Radio KAOS tour he mixed the material up more).

I do think the "get a grip" comment is kinda stupid. There was a time back in the 80's when "people" didn't know who Roger Waters was. I remember the Rolling Stone cover story in 87, where he said if he introduced himself as Roger Waters to people, they'd have no idea who he was. Then he'd mention Pink Floyd and, they'd say "Oh, I loved The Wall!" or whatever. So if people are associating his name with the words "Pink Floyd" he should at least consider that a step forward, even if apparently some people don't realize he hasn't been in the band for 29 years (and the last Pink Floyd record he was involved in was effectively a solo record).

Many extremely talented musician-composers put so much effort, time & angst into creating music that touches & inspires people.

That explains why so many of them are egocentric, pompous assholes with the social skills of a tree. They're far too exhausted to be civil.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I don't blame him. I mean, fucking pay attention to the past 20 years much? Ever hear of google? Do these people live in a cave? And how is he milking his OWN fucking material? Why wouldn't he play Floyd songs, considering he is the composer of almost all of their most popular music? He is not part of the band, but not because he ever tried to distance himself from the music.

If anyone was milking it, try pointing your finger at the band falsely calling themselves Floyd all these years.

Roger is no saint, but for crying out loud, when people are being that daft, why not call them out?

There is a saying about a Zebra not being able to change his stripes. It fits although after all these years, you would think people would know he isn't in Floyd anymore and he would know how to handle it better.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Sounds like Roger and/or his wife know a lot of dumbasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Waters View Post
    I on the other hand, am not part of Pink Floyd. I left Pink Floyd in 1985, that's 29 years ago. I had nothing to do with either of the Pink Floyd studio albums, Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell, nor the Pink Floyd tours of 1987 and 1994, and I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip.
    To be fair, the last time anyone saw Pink Floyd was the one-off reunion gig at 2005's Live 8 concert which Waters was part of. And then Waters does his Wall tour - and at a 2011 gig in London, Gilmour and Mason are there performing with him. I would excuse the casual fans for thinking that Waters would be involved in the new PF album.

This is interesting. I also heard that Roger was a releasing an album this year from a couple of huge RW fans. Weird.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    he is the composer of almost all of their most popular music?
    no

though I suppose The Wall *was* popular (the final crap was NOT), the other popular ones were collaborative efforts of the entire band
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    the other popular ones were collaborative efforts of the entire band
    Their two biggest hits, the songs most likely to be known by the man in the street, were "Money" and "Another Brick In The Wall Pt 2", both penned by Waters alone.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Roger was & is Mr. Pink Floyd so he has a right to be peeved!!!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    So there are are people who know Roger Waters' wife but don't know that he left Pink Floyd? Hard to believe. Who is it, like her grocer?

>popcorn&crisps< this is going to be fun

How is touring with the music he created milking his former band?

I wish Paul McCartney would stop milking The Beatles.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I don't consider him milking it, it's his material, but it's a bit disengenious to then be surprised people associate him with PF
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    How is touring with the music he created milking his former band?

I wish Paul McCartney would stop milking The Beatles.
    Exactly!
    Quite honestly, I think he's peeved that he's NOT a part of The Endless River.

His note sounded perfectly reasonable to me. He's not been in that band for 29 years, yes, people need to get a grip.

Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    I don't blame him. I mean, fucking pay attention to the past 20 years much? Ever hear of google? Do these people live in a cave? And how is he milking his OWN fucking material? Why wouldn't he play Floyd songs, considering he is the composer of almost all of their most popular music? He is not part of the band, but not because he ever tried to distance himself from the music.

If anyone was milking it, try pointing your finger at the band falsely calling themselves Floyd all these years.
    Why would you point a finger at a band that has only toured when they have new material to play?

I don't agree necessarily that Waters is "milking" anything, but he's much further on that scale than his former bandmates are.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Sounds like Roger and/or his wife know a lot of dumbasses.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    So there are are people who know Roger Waters' wife but don't know that he left Pink Floyd? Hard to believe. Who is it, like her grocer?
    Exactly my thoughts, Jed. You'd think that people that know his wife would at least have some idea of what her husband is up to.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Exactly!
    Quite honestly, I think he's peeved that he's NOT a part of The Endless River.
    That's what I take out of this too. Perhaps he approached Gilmour and Mason and was denied.
    Again, he's been heavily associating himself with the Pink Floyd brand over the decades that it's no wonder casual listeners or young fans think or optimistically hope he'd be a part of The Endless River. He hasn't separated himself away like Peter Gabriel has from Genesis.
    And yes, who are these folks that are asking his wife??
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I actually think that's a great response from Roger. He could have easily fallen back into the vile, angered rhetoric of the '80s blasting Gilmour and Co., but he didn't. The reunion and subsequent interactions with his old band mates seems to have smoothed the waters (get it?!).
    Chad

It wouldn't be unreasonable for someone who heard about the album coming out to ask if Roger was involved in it or knew about it at all. It also wouldn't be unreasonable for him to take offense at the question (for whatever reason - guilt over leaving - pissed they didn't ask him to participate - angst about his old bandmates making money on it - whatever).

I think this is totally expected and at least he didn't rant on about it or comment on it at all, really.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I actually think that's a great response from Roger. He could have easily fallen back into the vile, angered rhetoric of the '80s blasting Gilmour and Co., but he didn't. The reunion and subsequent interactions with his old band mates seems to have smoothed the waters (get it?!).
    Agreed IMHO folks are projecting their own sentiments about the split in the 80's onto these responses.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Again, he's been heavily associating himself with the Pink Floyd brand over the decades
    He's every bit as much of the brand as David, Richard, Nick or even Syd, IMO. No need to associate himself with it. But, your point is valid.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    If I ever see Waters in public I'm going to say to him, "Hey, you're the guy from that Gini ad, aren't you?"

That's what I thought as well. I was curious how he would comment on Gilmour and Mason releasing a new album as Floyd. Nice to see he can now be civil about such things.