Thread: Steamhammer recommendations

Steamhammer recommendations

I've noticed they've released 4 studio albums and are heavy on the Blues side of the equation. In particular do you recommend any of those 4 albums?
    Thanks!
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Speech(more like Krautrock)
    Mark II is decent.
    First album and Mountains were not keepers

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    Speech(more like Krautrock)
    Mark II is decent.
    First album and Mountains were not keepers
    I was wondering why Speech seemed to get some differing opinions but that Krautrock flavour you mentioned is probably why. Thanks! I need to get that one.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Speech is pretty good.

I also let go of Mountains.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Speech is really the odd one in the bunch and is definitely my favorite of the 4. Here are my notes: "Steamhammer’s last album. And by far their wiggiest. Primarily a blues rock outfit prior, they loosened up the creative nodes for a truly wild work that finds many parallels with their Krautrock peers (I say that given that the album was originally released on the legendary German label Brain). Starting with bowed guitar, creating a haunting ambiance, they launch into a wicked hard rock riff with complex rhythms right out of the Italian school. Some of the guitar jams really get intense, not as cosmic as Ash Ra Tempel or Guru Guru, but certainly in the tradition of the toughest of the British blues psych groups. Only misstep is an overlong drum solo on the last track ‘For Against’."

It's worth mentioning that this album is in effect a proto Armageddon (yes, the Keith Relf group), and that's ultimately what Steamhammer merged into. They even arranged a few riffs from "Speech" for Armageddon's sole album.

Speech. Apart from the dull drum solo (included as homage to the recently deceased percussionist), this is (as mentioned) noisy kraut-like acid progressive. I have from certified Sources that this album was a substantial influence on several Japanese "free rock" groups during the 90s/00s (Acid Mothers Temple, Musica Transonic, White Heaven et al).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Speech is fun but only an occasional listen for me. Textbook indulgence I'm afraid, principally to mask a lack of good ideas.

I like 2 a lot but I am quite surprised at the lack of love for Mountains on this thread. This is their most consistent album for me - particularly the live Riding on the L and N/Hold That Train, recorded at the Fairfield Halls, which rocks like a mother. Woulda loved to be in the crowd.....

Thanks for all the great information everyone, I think i'll check out Speech just because it sounds adventerous enough to be interesting.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    Thanks for all the great information everyone, I think i'll check out Speech just because it sounds adventerous enough to be interesting.
    If sound matters, find it on vinyl.

I used to think the old Repertoire CD sounded ok (probably from vinyl anyway) until I heard the Brain LP. I then realized that ... what do you know!? The album didn't originally sound like tin.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    If sound matters, find it on vinyl.

I used to think the old Repertoire CD sounded ok (probably from vinyl anyway) until I heard the Brain LP. I then realized that ... what do you know!? The album didn't originally sound like tin.
    Thanks for the tip Jeff i'll try to find the vinyl first.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

here's a few vinyl copies for sale on Discogs http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/3559461?ev=rb

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    here's a few vinyl copies for sale on Discogs http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/3559461?ev=rb
    Thanks man!
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten