Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you like the Canterbury Scene bands

If you like the Canterbury Scene bands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFsxNxLVrqg

6 minute audio/video trailer for the Bristol based band Schnausers new album "Protein for Everyone" . The band have been very well received critically.
    Recommended if you like early Soft Machine, Caravan, Canterbury Scene, the Bonzos, Supersister etc. The band also have some modern influences such as Gruff Rhys, White Denim etc. Terrifically good fun live too and very able musicians !!

chalkpie
    Thanks - will check out.

They a pretty eccentric band (in a good way) but very well received critically here in UK . All photos on Clevedon pier, just down the road from us in Bristol. The week before One Direction used the same spot Im told!

Good stuff, with an appealing combination of wheezing late-Sixties keyboard sounds, up-to-date energy, and (from what I could tell) well-written songs.

They do like their late 60's keys

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    They a pretty eccentric band (in a good way) but very well received critically here in UK .
    When, btw, did UK "prog rock" audiences start to shun the eccentric (in any way)? I mean, I realize that they do, but is there really that much of a grudge against anything that doesn't taste of the usual and ordinary or doesn't conform to convention? When reading purpoted "prog" media from the UK one could almost suspect someone like Knifeworld or Sanguine Hum (both of whom are great, make no mistake!) to constitute bonafide avant-garde ensembles.

Really looking forward to hearing the Schnauser record; autobuy from description alone.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    When, btw, did UK "prog rock" audiences start to shun the eccentric (in any way)? I mean, I realize that they do, but is there really that much of a grudge against anything that doesn't taste of the usual and ordinary or doesn't conform to convention? When reading purpoted "prog" media from the UK one could almost suspect someone like Knifeworld or Sanguine Hum (both of whom are great, make no mistake!) to constitute bonafide avant-garde ensembles.

Really looking forward to hearing the Schnauser record; autobuy from description alone.
    Ha, I do get what you mean. Possibly not my best choice of words,! You would be suprised though that bands like Knifeworld, The Fierce and the Dead and our own Sanguine Hum and certainly Schnauser are seen by many fans as at the more avant-garde end of the genre and yes I do think it is a harder sell to the majority of a Prog Rock audience these days than something like say "Yes" or Mostly Autumn or Transatlantic. . In Schnausers case they do like their Edwardian gentlemen get up and the drummer Jasper wears a kilt and to me is very Ginger Baker like! they like to sing about paying bills and shopping, wasps and grey days , its very "English" in many ways in the same ways as Ogdens Nut Gone Flake or the Bonzos, however I think that is what makes them a very charming band.

Sounds really good. Will have to pick this up. Thanks!

Nice!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

This is one of the big surprises for me this year. It has that Caravan/Hatfields/Robert Wyatt vibe. Lyrically and musically eccentric, but the songs are all well structured and nice fuzzy organ of course in a Mike Ratledge/Dave Sinclair style. For me, I even pick up on early Stereolab too. The epic 17 minute closing track, Disposable Outcomes is definitely up there with Nine Feet Underground. Yep, it's that good!

Will it be available through Wayside, Lasercd, Synphonic?

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Will it be available through Wayside, Lasercd, Synphonic?
    I'd be very surprised if it wasn't - it's on Esoteric, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I'd be very surprised if it wasn't - it's on Esoteric, after all.
    I checked Wayside and LaserCD; no dice.

I know one place in the USA that does have it "kool kat" and I know that----- because I sold them direct to him!!

Otherwise you can always pay me on paypal to esotericarts@btconnect.com and I will send it you over £10.00 including postage , its digipack. Just write in the notes "Schnauser" Wayside and Lasers Edge dont stock everything we do,

They would by the way be a superb band for Rosfest as they are brilliant live! The 17 minute track Barrie refers to is terrific live, I actually dance to it and it has talking in it too, sounds odd but i think is amazing.
    Last edited by Esoteric; 10-02-2014 at 09:49 AM.

Wayside will be stocking by the way very shortly , just isnt with them yet, I did check.

Great news, as I don't have paypal!

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    Wayside will be stocking by the way very shortly , just isnt with them yet, I did check.
    I just suspended my latest order from them when you wrote this! Can't wait to get that thing, so I'm glad Steve is stocking it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yes, I know Steve enjoyed it too. Just to mention our catalogue is so big that the guys would have trouble stocking it all, they would need a credit line as long as your arm.

I dig this. Thank you for the heads up! Nice smooth sounds.

Reminded me of Stackridge - from the same part of England.

Indeed the band like Stackridge too---as do we!!! and yes we are all from the Bristol/Bath area

yeah, I'm hearing lots of Soft Machine-isms in there (That's a good thing)

Cool stuff.

Any plans for a digital release soon?

It should be up digitally now for download , if you mean streaming, not for 3 to 4 months, we don't stream new albums immediately