Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you like the Canterbury Scene bands

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    It should be up digitally now for download , if you mean streaming, not for 3 to 4 months, we don't stream new albums immediately
    Hmm. I see the bandcamp page but it doesn't look like "Protein for Everyone" is a downloadable one. The others are. Is there a different place to go? Cherry Red has it but not digital either. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Hmm. I see the bandcamp page but it doesn't look like "Protein for Everyone" is a downloadable one. The others are. Is there a different place to go? Cherry Red has it but not digital either. Thanks for the info.
    Derp... I see the download is there with the physical purchase. My bad. Thanks!

I couldnt wait - picked it up this morning. I was mulling it over all weekend - but I can forgo a couple lunches for this. Sorry Steve - couldnt hold out for the wayside offering.

Just to mention that all our digital is via I Tunes, Amazon etc, --The Orchard are our digital middle men and hence its not via bands bandcamps etc but by the channels that The Orchard use.

Okey. I got the FLAC files buying thru bandcamp. Sounds great! Loving the album in full now that I have it. Worth the buy people! This is about as pop as I'll go these days - and these guys make pop music sound excellent. Love the organ - the runs - the overall feel is sublime. The melodies are top notch and I dont say this very often - the singing is great too. Love to see this live. Wish I didnt live in crappy Texas.

Listening to their track on the 'Prog Mag' sampler; this is actually the first time I'm listening to one of these things, and I can hear why - the Schnauser seems to be the only actual progressive rock appearance on the whole damn CD... And they are essentially a "pop-prog" act!

Well, the Formal Horse contribution is quite nice. But oh GAWWD there are some really laughably bad musicmakers honing the "prog" tag these days. Good to know more than what is reflected here, and thank Kali for bands like Schnauser.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 10-07-2014 at 12:16 PM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Listening to their track on the 'Prog Mag' sampler; this is actually the first time I'm listening to one of these things, and I can hear why - the Schnauser seems to be the only actual progressive rock appearance on the whole damn CD... And they are essentially a "pop-prog" act!

Well, the Formal Horse contribution is quite nice. But oh GAWWD there are some really laughably bad musicmakers honing the "prog" tag these days. Good to know more than what is reflected here, and thank Kali for bands like Schnauser.

If I can mention and this is pretty important--"that track " is actually Tin Spirits--Binary Man (I know this because thats one of ours too) Prog cocked up here and essentially labelled a Tin Spirits track as Schnauser and Schnauser arent on there at all and should have been --this is rectified for both bands Im told in the next edition.

If I can mention and this is pretty important--"that track " is actually Tin Spirits--Binary Man (I know this because thats one of ours too) Prog cocked up here and essentially labelled a Tin Spirits track as Schnauser and Schnauser arent on there at all and should have been --this is rectified for both bands Im told in the next edition.

I somehow thought the alleged "Canterbury" traces were suspiciously far and in between! Alright, then Tin Spirits it is... Jeez, I'm laughing my arse off now. Formal Horse was a bit better anyhow.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Vicky are Cherry Red planning on following the Amazon "auto rip" idea for disc purchases? I went online to Amazon today to get both this and Tin Spirits, because being an impatient sod I wanted to hear them straight away, but being a sad collector I also want the discs. Sadly Tin Spirits is saying 2-3 week order time, which is frankly ridiculous for a new release, you need to kick them hard. I went to HMV today to try and get it too, but not even a space in the shelves, and so I thought perhaps it's filed with XTC, but there wasn't even an XTC section, which is even more horrifying to these ears and eyes. I'll pick them up via Cherry Red and patiently wait to listen.

Edit...

I picked up via Amazon in the end, and then of course they start recommending additional Esoteric releases, and between these two, Todd at the BBC, PFM at the BBC and the soon to come Ant Phillips archive, my pockets are about to be lightened quite a lot! I must say the releases from Esoteric are so enticing and so well put together, well done!
    Last edited by Sunlight Caller; 10-08-2014 at 06:35 AM.

I ordered my cd copy of Protein yesterday morning through bandcamp and by last night they emailed me saying it was in the post already. I'm in Texas so we'll see how long it takes from the UK. :P

http://schnauser.bandcamp.com/album/...for-everyone-2

I just got Schnauser.It's all meat.

Got my disc already! Awesome. Speedy delivery and a nice digipack and booklet. Thanks for the little hand singed note too. Lyrics! Was waiting for those.

This sounded really good. The Stackridge comparison is spot on. I'll be getting a copy for myself.

Yes I think the Stackridge comparison is a good one. I do know they like Stackridge and they are from around here too. Yes if you buy from their Bandcamp I know Alan likes to pop notes in!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFsxNxLVrqg

6 minute audio/video trailer for the Bristol based band Schnausers new album "Protein for Everyone" . The band have been very well received critically.
    Recommended if you like early Soft Machine, Caravan, Canterbury Scene, the Bonzos, Supersister etc. The band also have some modern influences such as Gruff Rhys, White Denim etc. Terrifically good fun live too and very able musicians !!
    Love this group, Vicky! You guys are really scoring when it comes to contemporary releases, either by existing bands like VdGG, or new ones like Schnauder, Sanguine Hum, Tin Spirits.....

...congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Love this group, Vicky! You guys are really scoring when it comes to contemporary releases, either by existing bands like VdGG, or new ones like Schnauder, Sanguine Hum, Tin Spirits.....

...congrats!!
    yes we have had some really terrific albums and artists coming through this year including earlier in the year too. and we have several more to come as well!! I knew you would like Schnauser John, in fact I think most fans that like the Caravan, Hatfield, Matching Mole, Soft machine vibe have said how much they like them, they do however sound modern and "themselves" as well, a hard act to pull off--- especially combined with a bit of the Bonzos and Stackridge in there as well . New album with Sanguine Hum early next year plus a new live one with VDGG from 2013 including yes--Plague of Lighthouse Keepers. (people always ask me if it has this track--yes it does) Album will be called Merlin Atmos.

A band that never released an album, even though it was recorded.
    Quite good!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    A band that never released an album, even though it was recorded.
    Quite good!
    This is wonderful! Somewhere between Soft Machine, The Muffins, and Hatfield + the North (complete with the Northettes). It's a sound you just don't hear any more, and one that would be impossible to re-create without studying old "Canterbury" records, trying really hard to sound like them - and still coming up short. But of course, 25 Views didn't try to sound like anyone or anything but themselves. There's a prettiness and innocence (maybe not the right word, but the best one I can come up with) to it that's more than just the old-fashioned, early prog sound of home organ + Pianet, Bunk Gardner-ish clarinet through an octave divider, and tight but low-keyed rhythm section. Just really sweet music, music that makes me nostalgic for a life I never actually had.

It's probably too late in the game for anybody to release this - the bottom's dropped out of the record business - but if the band themselves could maybe put it on Bandcamp.....

They released a 7"

https://www.discogs.com/Twenty-Five-...elease/3098951

I was told that the had recorded a full album, but something happened (economy?) - not sure it has been available in any form anywhere.

Aymeric probably knows

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    They released a 7"

https://www.discogs.com/Twenty-Five-...elease/3098951

I was told that the had recorded a full album, but something happened (economy?) - not sure it has been available in any form anywhere.

Aymeric probably knows
    Well, my knowledge is fairly recent, and doesn't much exceed what anyone could find using Google...

Here's the longest track from the 1977 EP :

https://soundcloud.com/barnstorm-mus...ws-of-worthing

And from a blog page, Paul Devonshire wrote:

"I was the sax player in 25 views of Worthing. We were from Watford. The original band was Roger Hillier keys. Paul Devonshire sax clarinet flute. Mark Sugden drums. Paul Lindsay bass. We completed an album at Island records but it was never released."

Putting two and two together, the YouTube videos appear to be from that unreleased album, recorded at Island's Basing Street Studios in 1972.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Oh my goodness I totally missed this in 2014! This is wonderful stuff! I’m seeking out a copy immediately! The 25 views thing is cool as well. But schnauser had me in about 2 seconds

Purchased!

Now wondering if I should check out Stackridge...

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    But Schnauser had me in about 2 seconds.
    They're interesting. I didn't listen to them when this was originally posted, but did now (to the sampler track). And one big difference I hear between them and and 25 Views is that Schnauser clearly know what Canterbury is supposed to sound like - the saxes playing lead lines, the cheap organ through a fuzzbox, the Clavinet through a wah-wah but totally unlike the funk version of that sound, the pleasant, almost conversational Richard Sinclair-ish vocals. In contrast, 25 Views didn't know anything about Canterbury at all, it was just what they played.

^ There's been at least one Schnauser release since Protein, but I haven't heard it.

A very fine band.