Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kinetic Element news

That, ladies and gentlemen, is some tasty prog best served with a nice Bordeaux. Excellent job, Mike and company. Looking forward to hearing, sorry, Mike, a "real vocalist to go along with the great music.

If only the new YES album could sound so good. ;-)

Sounds good, Mike. That's the kind of prog I like.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Finished up all the instrumental tracks for the second of the two "epics" that will be on Travelog. The four of us are somewhat amazed after listening a bit more to the finished instrumental tracks with (not the final) vocals for Vision of a New Dawn. It just seems like everything flows so well. I guess we will find out what we're really made of when we try to put this together for a live show. It ranges from Brubeckish 7/4 jazz amped up for prog to flamenco/rock to classical piano to intimate quiet piano/vocals to pretty big verses to this ultra symphonic "voyage" section in 5/8 to Badfinger-like acoustic guitars to bombastic final verse to this huge mellotron choir ending. Holy mackrel. I hope Her comes out as good. I have to figure it will be midwinter finishing this thing. Thanks everyone for staying with us. BTW here is a link to the demo of the first five minutes if you haven't seen it yet. We changed the bass part a bit since I made this little demo movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ZhWCPooBA
    PROG LIVES. It keeps us young.
    Last edited by HoldYourFire; 10-11-2014 at 05:09 PM.
    A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission!

Again, many of you probably saw this on Facebook but here goes anyway.
    Wow. We really are working on the last of the five pieces for Travelog. The end of this long marathon is in sight. And as usual we got some ideas on the spur of the moment for Mark's bass part that, once he understood what Todd and I were trying to communicate, he knocked out an improvised section that is utterly gorgeous. We were unable to finish, and Mark will be unavailable for a couple of weeks so we will flesh out the guitars and keyboards and finish the bass when he comes back and wouldn't you know, that's when our main vocalist candidate is coming to Richmond to record/audition. Maybe the pieces of this puzzle are going to come together after all! Unfortunately the audition weekend falls on the weekend of New Jersey Proghouse's Homecoming Weekend so I don't see how I can get up there to see Heliopolis. It's the only available time for our candidate to come down here. Let's keep fingers crossed that this works out so we can announce who it is.

Now. What I didn't post there: There is now a rough mix of Vision of a New Dawn in all its 18:30 glory. I sang. NO, I will not sing on the album, but we will not get our singer candidate down here for another month. My guys do not want to let this out of the bag yet. But it won't be that much longer, hopefully!!

KE is happy to be able to announce that DIMETRIUS LAFAVORS, currently lead vocalist with Odin's Court, will be the vocalist on the upcoming Kinetic Element CD Travelog. We had a very happy audition experience with him. He is as excited to be part of this as we are to have him on board. We did dummy tracks with him today that are darn close to being album quality and given time to work together we think this will be the final piece of the lineup. Dimetrius will not be parting with Odin's Court, as they have a special thing going there with the prog metal they play. We are very thankful to Odin's Court for graciously giving Dimetrius the space to pursue another aspect of his vocal abilities with us in the symphonic prog genre. And heck, it seems in prog at least, a whole bunch of musicians are in several bands. We have a few scheduling things to work out but everybody in Kinetic Element is pretty psyched right now. As I always say, stay with us! PROG LIVES. It keeps us young.

Right on! This is very exciting news - can't wait to hear this record.

I'm looking forward to the record, too, Mike.
    Lou

Quick update. Some of you probably saw all this on Facebook, but in a nutshell:
    Dimetrius LaFavors could not finish the project, as his main band Odin's Court got very busy and he simply had no time. So he will not be joining Kinetic Element. It was like a sucker punch to the gut as his work on the first three he recorded was just amazing. I was depressed for several days. However, Michelle Schrotz of Brave has come to our rescue and recorded one piece, and the remaining piece will be recorded by solo artist Mike Florio. Both of them are awesome singers. So we will have three guest vocalists on Travelog. Mike Florio will also sing with us on at least one date that we have booked at a certain well known prog venue that we've waited eight years to get a shot to play at. I will announce it when the promoter says I may.

Meanwhile, incredibly, we were reached out to by the brilliant composers of Glass Hammer, Steve Babb and Fred Schedel, to mix Travelog. They have one of the pieces and when we get the mix back on that, we will use clips from it to do our Kickstarter campaign, as we need to raise money to pay them to do the rest of the album. The first trial mix we got back from Fred and Steve was a humongous transformation of the bottom of the band's sound and we knew right away that these guys get it. As you would figure, based on the stuff they produce for their band!

As soon as we have everything in place for Kickstarter I will start a new thread that incorporates all this info. We think we have something very good here. If you haven't heard the five minute demo from a few months ago, here is the link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ZhWCPooBA
    This is the piece Fred and Steve are mixing for us now. There's another 13 minutes of it too.

Travelog will have as its theme the danger in which the whole idea of individual liberty finds itself in the first part of the 21st century. It's kind of a melancholy record. I was listening to Big Big Train's The Underfall Yard and I realized I got the same feeling from that record that I get from listening to the tracks we're recording, but for different reasons.

This has been a very long journey and as you already know we have been beset with all kinds of obstacles for the last five years. But, we can see the finish line now. We hope to see you in a live setting and we long to take you on this little journey that every prog artist sets out to do. I love you all for staying with me on this. Please visit us on Facebook and give us a share at Kinetic Element official Site 2.0 and Kinetic Element Street Team. All it takes to be on the street team is to Share stuff we post that you like.

As I love to say as my aging face develops more lines and bagginess that it didn't used to have ... PROG LIVES. It keeps us young.
    Last edited by HoldYourFire; 03-13-2015 at 11:36 PM.

It's good that you stayed alive long enough to realize this, my friend!

Sounds quite nice.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What if it turns out he's been a ghost all along?

Just kidding - cool update! Looking forward to seeing the Kickstarter rewards.

Dear friends, we're making a push to get the Kinetic Element "Travelog" album mixed, mastered, manufactured and in hand by early June. We have a Kickstarter video done and we are writing copy to go along with it. I am sorry it will not be ready for ROSfest. I humbly ask you to share, share, share when I get the link up here. I can tell you the Glass Hammer guys are doing a bangup job mixing for us, the band is sounding very good in practice (if a tad loud LOL), we have a well-known graphic artist working on the album art, there is an early June concert date and that is the reason we are pushing hard so that we will have merchandise available for that event. More info will be announced as soon as possible. I know I have been all talk for far too long, and it is crunch time. We'll need your help! Thanks for staying with us ... it won't be long now.
    Oh BTW you can Share this message. Brainwash your friends into helping us. The Prog gods will smile on you. :-)

Hmmm....Brainwashing. Is that like evangelizing?

You know that was a , my talented friend.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Looking forward to hearing it, Mike.
    Lou

WE ARE FUNDED ON KICKSTARTER!!! 4 days to go and if you want to donate anyway we welcome and appreciate it as every dollar makes it a little easier to get the new CD out. I know there are a few of you who dove into the pool with us. There's plenty of room for more. THANKS more than words can say! We are $111 over. If we can get $500 over it means a road trip somewhere!

We have a show at Orion Studios in Baltimore on 5/29 with Brave. Brave will open at 8. Another at New Jersey Proghouse (Roxy & Duke's Dunellen NJ) on 6/6 with Lo-Fi Resistance. We will open at 7. Come out and join the shouting.

Looks like the product WILL be available. See www.facebook.com/kineticelementband. PROG LIVES. it keeps us alive.
    Kickstarter is at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...new-album-2015

Mozel-tov!

Congrats, Mike!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Love to hear it, Mike. Keep up the good fight.
    Lou

Orion was a blast although the crowd was smaller than we hoped for. Brave opened and just positively rocked the joint. Michelle was superb. She is such a great fit for that band.

We came on around 11 p.m. at Orion and performed all of Travelog plus one song from Powered by Light ("The Ascent") and all of it came off very well. I was most gratified that after the big instrumental part in Vision of a New Dawn we got some nice sustained applause, which is something I am not used to LOL! Mike Florio had a great performance as did Michelle. Your humble keyboardist got some love shown him for the pipe organ bit in War Song and the big piano intro in Vision. Mark got his first dose of prog fan love as not only did he get many compliments on is bass playing from the audience, but Brave's bassist kind of dug what he was doing too! Todd was his usual brilliant, nonchalant self and Michael drove us along nicely on drums with few barely noticeable hitches. For our first real gig since August of 2013 I think we did pretty well. Let's believe Saturday night will be even better as we have a lot to measure up to in Jimmy Robinson and in Lo-Fi Resistance!!
    You can hear all of Travelog at Orion was a blast although the crowd was smaller than we hoped for. Brave opened and just positively rocked the joint. Michelle was superb. She is such a great fit for that band.

We came on around 11 p.m. and performed all of Travelog plus one song from Powered by Light ("The Ascent") and all of it came off very well. I was most gratified that after the big instrumental part in Vision of a New Dawn we got some nice sustained applause, which is something I am not used to LOL! Mike Florio had a great performance as did Michelle. Your humble keyboardist got some love shown him for the pipe organ bit in War Song and the big piano intro in Vision. Mark got his first dose of prog fan love as not only did he get many compliments on is bass playing from the audience, but Brave's bassist kind of dug what he was doing too! Todd was his usual brilliant, nonchalant self and Michael drove us along nicely on drums with few barely noticeable hitches. For our first real gig since August of 2013 I think we did pretty well. Let's believe Saturday night will be even better as we have a lot to measure up to in Jimmy Robinson and in Lo-Fi Resistance!! You can hear all of Travelog at http://melodicrevolutionrecords.com/album/travelogKE with Michelle at Orion #2 5-29-15.jpg

The gig was so nice you said it twice

Would have love to have seen you guys. Did anyone take some video?

Fred, video was shot at NJP. I am not sure I want to let people see it but I have to get a look at it myself first. Both gigs went well, both were sparsely attended although the people who did come gave us a great welcome and we did move some CDs. BTW there's a couple headed your way.

Just a few comments coming in from our Kickstarter and Facebook friends.

Lee Barrentine: Listening to Travelog for the third time. Guys, this album is brilliant. Even better than I expected. Love every track. My favorite is Vision of a New Dawn. The first 4 minutes remind me of Brain Auger and it gets better from there. I am very proud to have my name in the liner notes for this. Mike, Travelog is a masterpiece. Brilliant album. One of the best prog albums of 2015. So proud to have helped make this happen, if only in a small way

Brian Watson (British DJ): Just having a listen to War Song by Kinetic Element Official Site 2.0 and all I can say is I'm supremely glad I backed the Kickstarter for the new album. This is some seriously good progressive rock music. Huge congrats to Mike Visaggio and the boys.

Gary Ryan: I just finished listening to the album on MRR; FANTASTIC! Even better than Powered By Light, and I absolutely loved PBL! The mix is a lot better in Travelogue, and your keyboard work is masterful. Definitely will be purchasing the download after payday on Friday.

Eric Harabadian: Hi Mike, I got the package. Thanks so much! Man, the way you rallied everything together at the last minute to pull this release off. Splendid job! I'm sincerely impressed! The new album will be my car and home listening this coming weekend. Give me a shout when you've got time. Cheers!--Eric

Gary Appleby: If you like the best of ELP, Yes, Genesis, & symphonic prog, you will really like Kinetic Element. I recently saw them play at Roxy & Dukes & picked up the Travelog CD. They definitely have an American flavor to them. Their CD reveals more and more as I listen to it again & again. Each song develops though many parts, and each player gets a chance to shine. Strongly recommended for fans of progressive rock!

OK I wish there were more of them ... but as I get you guys to wake up to what we're doing I hope we'll be seeing more of this. I plan on engaging some more ... er ... serious promotion on a professional level. It's do or die for us.

I've enjoyed the bits and pieces I've heard so far. I am hoping to order the album with an upcoming paycheck. You guys really do deserve a festival spot. Hope it comes soon for you!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Afterglow Playlist for June 18, 2015.

http://soundscapes.us/afterglow/play...15/150618.html
    http://billfox.blogspot.com/2015/06/...e-18-2015.html

RECAP:
    I played new music from The Syn and Kinetic Element.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohost View Post
    http://soundscapes.us/afterglow/play...15/150618.html
    http://billfox.blogspot.com/2015/06/...e-18-2015.html

RECAP:
    I played new music from The Syn and Kinetic Element.
    Thanks Bill! I hope the responses are positive. We got a few more in:

Steve Swayne: Mike- I have had the CD for a couple of days now, and I am enjoying it very much. I am looking to play a couple songs on my program on June 26th. This is a most excellent CD and you should be very proud of what you have accomplished. I know it took a long while to put it together, but the end result is fantastic!

Kurt Matson YOW! Mike. I have it. Great cd buddy.

Scott Corcoran: Here's a little blurb I wrote about Kinetic Element's new CD Travelog. If you don't own yet, go out and get it!!! Kinetic Element offers up a Progressive Masterpiece with their 2nd CD entitled “Travelog”.
    True to the genre’s music of the 70’s while ushering in a freshness of the modern day progressive rock Travelog’s musical/lyrical journey doesn’t disappoint the listener. Coming in at just over 70 glorious minutes of savory symphonic bliss spanning 5 tracks Travelog’s conceptual theme covers the nations “loss of Liberty” . It’s one of those CD’s where you can’t just listen to it on your ipod’s shuffle play or ala carte tracks. This disc is meant to be a five course progressive rock meal that will leave your appetite fully satiated. You’ll want more alright, you push the replay button over and over again!
    The amazing compositions allow the individuals virtuosity room to show off without being pretentious or falling victim to “overplaying”. Every solo or musical interlude intertwines within the framework of the story wonderfully. The recording sounds fantastic and brings Kinetic Element to life like we’ve never heard them, kudos to the recording engineer /drummer of the band Mike Murray and mixing and mastering talents of the great Fred Schendel and Steve Babb of Glass Hammer fame. This recording sounds as if the band is playing a personal concert for you. Every nuance, every little note is heard and it’s all there for your listening enjoyment.
    Here we are halfway through 2015 and I can say this…Travelog is one of the best CD’s of the year hands down. Pick it up today at www.cdbaby.com or from Melodic Revolution Records site.

Dang. That's two who said "among Best of 2015.! And they listen to it all. We hope to have some of the people who are known reviewers weigh in soon.
    Last edited by HoldYourFire; 06-23-2015 at 06:06 PM.

Kinetic Element will be featured on www.houseofprog.com with host Marty Dorfman this Friday night June 26. This will be a couple of hours at least, playing the CD in its entirety and interviewing the band in between songs. If you guys have not had a chance to get to know us this is a nice way to do it. Looks like at least me and Todd will be interviewed, and I'm trying to corral the rest of the band. See the Facebook event at https://www.facebook.com/events/1573371762883413/ You might have gotten an invite on Facebook from old Mikey. But they stopped me from inviting all 2500+ of my friends, so I am posting an invitation to you all right here. This should be fun. You know Marty is a real cut-up and we are flattered he's doing this with us because he doesn't play bad music on his show. So tune in, join the chat, and turn it up!
    Last edited by HoldYourFire; 06-23-2015 at 06:33 PM.