Thread: Interesting 'Paul McCartney' tribute album due!

Interesting 'Paul McCartney' tribute album due!

This November sees the release of The Art Of Paul McCartney, and all-star tribute album featuring the likes of Kiss, Bob Dylan, Def Leppard, Chrissie Hynde, Jeff Lynne, Paul Rodgers, Roger Daltrey, Sammy Hagar, Perry Farrell, Heart, and Cheap Trick's Rick Nielson and Robin Zander.

Following the release two week's ago of a video of The Cure's version of Hello Goodbye (featuring Paul McCartney's son James on keyboards), the latest footage to be published features Alice Cooper taking on the Beatles' classic Eleanor Rigby. Alice also covers Smile Away on the album, which originally appeared on the 1971 Wings album RAM.

"We were way influenced by the Beatles' music, by the great songwriting of Lennon and McCartney", says Alice. "If you ask Ozzy and Steven Tyler the same thing, you'll find that there's a lot of melody in what we all do. We're always going to be a little more horse-powered than the Beatles were, but we always referred back to those melody lines".

The Art Of McCartney is the brainchild of producer Ralph Sall, who has worked with The Ramones, Stone Temple Pilots, Sublime, Smash Mouth, Cheap Trick, Aerosmith and Jane’s Addiction. He first met the songwriter in 2003 when compiling the soundtrack to the movie The In Laws, which features several McCartney songs.

The Art Of McCartney Track List:

1.Billy Joel - Maybe I'm Amazed
    2.Bob Dylan - Things We Said Today
    3.Heart - Band on the Run
    4.Steve Miller - Junior's Farm
    5.Yusuf Islam - The Long and Winding Road
    6.Harry Connick, Jr. - My Love
    7.Brian Wilson - Wanderlust
    8.Corinne Bailey Rae - Bluebird
    9.Willie Nelson - Yesterday
    10.Jeff Lynne - Junk
    11.Barry Gibb - When I'm 64
    12.Jamie Cullum - Every Night
    13.Kiss - Venus and Mars/Rock Show
    14.Paul Rodgers - Let Me Roll It
    15.Roger Daltrey - Helter Skelter
    16.Def Leppard - Helen Wheels
    17.The Cure, featuring James McCartney - Hello Goodbye
    18.Billy Joel - Live and Let Die
    19.Chrissie Hynde - Let It Be
    20.Cheap Trick's Robin Zander and Rick Nielsen - Jet
    21.Joe Elliott - Hi Hi Hi
    22.Heart - Letting Go
    23.Steve Miller - Hey Jude
    24.Owl City - Listen to What the Man Said
    25.Perry Farrell - Got to Get You Into My Life
    26.Dion - Drive My Car
    27.Allen Toussaint - Lady Madonna
    28.Dr. John - Let 'Em In
    29.Smokey Robinson - So Bad
    30.The Airborne Toxic Event - No More Lonely Nights
    31.Alice Cooper - Eleanor Rigby
    32.Toots Hibbert with Sly & Robbie - Come and Get It
    33.B.B. King - On the Way
    34.Sammy Hagar - Birthday
    Deluxe/vinyl Edition Bonus Tracks:

1.Robert Smith - C Moon
    2.Booker T. Jones - Can't Buy Me Love
    3.Ronnie Spector - P.S. I Love You
    4.Darlene Love - All My Loving
    5.Ian McCulloch - For No One
    6.Peter, Bjorn and John - Put It There
    7.Wanda Jackson - Run Devil Run
    8.Alice Cooper - Smile Away

A well-deserved tribute. Some of it looks interesting. Most of it, not so much.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Most may fall way short. Paul Rodgers Let me Roll it could rock... there are others, too. Hard to cover the Beatles.

Did Billy do this?

sounds intriguing to me. Paul is coming here this month, but I'm out of the habit of paying $90 for each ticket to watch him from the other end of the arena.

Probably get it as the Kiss, Toots and Cheap Trick guys tracks sound interesting but mostly it looks awful. (Booker T. and Toussaint are cool too but they've already done The Beatles thing when they were in their prime). Billy Joel gives me a rash.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    2.Bob Dylan - Things We Said Today
    Bob hasn't even been able to perform his own songs convincingly since the mid 1970s. What's he gonna do to that one? Have the band play it in 9/8?

There's a few cool things there. Interested. I want to hear the Dr. John cut Alice doing Elanor Rigby probably was funnier on paper. Anyway, he'll never top Because.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    There's a few cool things there. Interested. I want to hear the Dr. John cut Alice doing Elanor Rigby probably was funnier on paper. Anyway, he'll never top Because.
    HAHAHAHAHA!

Laugh all you want, but that and Earth Wind and Fire's contribution earned that movie a D- instead of an F.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Billy Joel has covered the Beatles before, most notably Back In The U.S.S.R. And his song Laura from Nylon Curtain sounds like a lost Beatles tune.

Not a half-bad looking tribute album, on paper anyway.