Thread: ASIA - Super Group Gets Serious with Gravitas in Morristown (Concert Review)

ASIA - Super Group Gets Serious with Gravitas in Morristown (Concert Review)

Nice review. Sounds like Carl Palmer is still as dynamic as ever. Thanks for posting!!!

Downes is a busy fellow. For most people, being in either Asia or Yes would be a full time job, and he is in both.

Also: about thirty-five years ago, I saw the original four-piece UK in that same venue.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Super Group

Looking forward to seeing them this coming Friday (10/3) here in ATL !!

I'd definitely recommend the ongoing tour -- saw a show recently and enjoyed it. I only know their first album and enjoyed the other songs I'm not familiar with. 80s style (and/or classic/timeless style) prog pop is enjoyable when executed well. Everyone in the band performed great. It was loudish. Got louder whenever Wetton's bass pedals came in (not often) which made you feel the floor shake, which was not often. Wetton's voice was in really good shape -- I think it cracked only at 2-3 very brief moments, all when going for some high notes. Palmer played a fun drum solo, it was definitely not boring.

Carl Palmer's drum solo from the Bergen Performing Arts Center in Englewood, NJ.

Tony Ortiz - Official Archivist at Emerson Lake & Palmer
    https://www.facebook.com/tony.ortiz.94064

I read somewhere that they only had 60 people or so in the audience for their show in Hartford, could this be true?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Relayer53 View Post
    I read somewhere that they only had 60 people or so in the audience for their show in Hartford, could this be true?

Tim
    Can't speak for Hartford, but BB King's was packed for the NYC show, with Crimson sold out a few blocks away, and Holdsworth in town as well.

OK, I saw ASIA last night here in Atlanta.

Having not really followed their career since the first two albums 30+ years ago, I mostly forgot the tunes...or so I thought.

ASIA came on stage to a rousing standing ovation and launched into Sole Survivor. (A tune that I had completely forgotten about but was very glad to hear) They continued through their canon and every time they played a tune from their first 2 albums, I was really beginning to appreciate the greatness of those compositions. They played stuff from Phoenix, XXX & Gravitas (I was not familiar with any of those tunes but they were quite good.) All-in-all it was an excellent night of great music performed in top-notch form.

Carl Palmer = Robot with human features. I could not keep my eyes off him. Speed, finesse, class, LEGEND! his drum solo was mesmerizing. My Wife LOVED it.

John Wetton = The Prog awards should have a Life-time achievement award and it should go to JW. His voice was SPOT-ON. Never missed a note and the projection was strong. He too is a legend.

Guitarist (Have no idea what his name is) = Played the tunes very well but I found him to be a bit of a poser. Too many classic "Rock Guitar" poses for my taste. Sadly, the guitar was low in the mix the entire evening and I had difficulty hearing his solos.

Geoff Downes = No accusations of Milli Vanilli here ....This is where GD shines. His sound choices are fantastic and he totally gives the band its signature sound.

Venue was about 75% full.

...Now, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing the Carl Palmer/ELP Legacy here next month. !!
    Last edited by Supersonic Scientist; 10-07-2014 at 08:35 AM.