Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Who tune- "Be Lucky"- Thoughts?

I like the songs on Face Dances but the production is horrible. It sounds like an Eagles record with Who songs. Glyn Johns did a much better job on It's Hard. That's a great record.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I like the songs on Face Dances but the production is horrible. It sounds like an Eagles record with Who songs. Glyn Johns did a much better job on It's Hard. That's a great record.

Bill
    Huh, I thought it sounded about like everything else of the time and not particularly Eagle-y. I'm not a fan of the drum sound though but it all sounds more or less like Who Are You. You know Glyn produced the Eagles too, right? I don't like the drum sound on It's Hard either.

^'Face Dances' really doesn't rock, which is a major issue when you're dealing with a Who album. Listen to the live version of 'The Quiet One' on the remaster to see the difference.

That's why it feels more like a Pete solo album.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Most of Townshend's best material from that period ended up on Empty Glass and All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes. Song for song, Cowboys is my favorite post Quadrophenia Who related release.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    It's the lead single from the new album, Who's Left.
    Hahahah... B side features "Who farted"
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Cowboys is my favorite post Quadrophenia Who related release.
    Hmmmmmmm... gotta think on that. After By Numbers (I like it) it might be...

Thoughts... Once one of the greatest rock bands in the entire world with a long history of GREAT music.... This is garbage, put in a bin with squeezebox. Just not interested in it one bit. And I listened twice... Be lucky? Whats that all about? May as well be singing " I'm a little teapot". Rock lyrics have been reduced to lame fortune cookie slogans.

Well you asked, and I truly love the Who, but not like this.

Sorry pete & rodge.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 01-22-2015 at 08:33 PM.
    Still alive and well...

Funnily enough, Roger actually says 'Be Lucky' at the end of that 'The Quiet One' live version I mentioned!

How do people feel about 'Endless Wire' now? As I said, the last few times I played it, I felt it wasn't anything like as dodgy as I remembered. The acoustic songs on that are particularly good IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    How do people feel about 'Endless Wire' now? As I said, the last few times I played it, I felt it wasn't anything like as dodgy as I remembered. The acoustic songs on that are particularly good IMHO.
    I've liked it from the beginning, despite my frustrations with the sound and arrangements in places (I still think the bass/drums sounds are not what they should have been on a Who album). The acoustic songs work quite well and bring back an old 60/70 vibe. I'm not sure the mini-opera flows very well, but it is an enjoyable ride. (I still wish some pieces had been extended...)

^Cohesiveness is its biggest flaw- I always felt the album really could have been called 'Fragments' as that's what it is. Various good songs and ideas are scattered throughout it.

'In The Ether' is an odd one...I laugh at Pete Townshend's Tom Waits-type vocal performance on that, what was he thinking? The song itself is good but it's hard to hear beyond that!

I am an admitted fan-boi of The Who, and a staunch defender of their move forward after Keith and John's respective deaths. I defend It's Hard as an excellent album, and Kenny Jones much-maligned tenure with the band. With all that being said, The Who are making it pretty hard to defend them with this track. Very lacking imo. If it was on The Endless Wire, it would be the weakest track, and that is kind of sad when I think about it.

Well, I rather like it. As for "Endless Wire," I find it hard to love.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    He sounds most excellent on the disc he did with Wilko Johnson.

I still don't know why they didn't call it Roger Wilko.
    Hopefully they are saving that title for the follow up. I certainly hope they record another one, I really thought that was a great album, rush recorded and released as it was, but with the fabulous news of Wilko getting a lease of life, there has to be a chance of another.

Most of Townshend's best material from that period ended up on Empty Glass and All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes. Song for song, Cowboys is my favorite post Quadrophenia Who related release.
    Agreed. Cowboys is a fantastic album.

Now playing "the best of pete townshend coolwalkingsmoothtalking.." Damn, there's a lot of good songs here but it would have been nice to hear The Who roar on some of these. Picture "Rough Boys" with a little more heft to it, it would have been a monster of a concert anthem. The Who have such a history of missed opportunities, feuding, missed chances, badly mastered resissues, etc. What if Moon had mastered his mania and his addictions, not burned out and died young, leaving the band lurching around and unable to bear their grief? What if Pete took those solo songs to a band that was still vital and getting along? I love the records we got out of the band in their prime but there could have been so much more and it's just a goddamn shame.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I've played every album the past month. I think these 80s ones are definitely their low-point, but one solid album could have been made instead of two average albums. 'You Better You Bet' and 'Eminence Front' are probably the best examples of The Who coming to terms with a new decade...notably these were the only songs from the two albums on the '30 Years Of Maximum R&B' box. 'Another Tricky Day' is another one I'm quite fond of. I'd forgotten about 'I've Known No War', that's a good one.

Some like 'Athena' as well but that cheesy 'bomb' hook drives me up the wall, what were they thinking??

RE; reissues. I'd agree, but researching the catalogue over the past month I've come to the conclusion it's simply not possible to bring any kind of logic to this catalogue. So many different versions and mixes, what do you do with them all??

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Picture "Rough Boys" with a little more heft to it, it would have been a monster of a concert anthem. .
    The Who played that on the '89 tour (still with Pete singing).

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Huh, I thought it sounded about like everything else of the time and not particularly Eagle-y. I'm not a fan of the drum sound though but it all sounds more or less like Who Are You. You know Glyn produced the Eagles too, right? I don't like the drum sound on It's Hard either.
    Compare Face Dances with The Long Run. They have that same sound. Who Are You and It's Hard had much more "life" to it than Face Dances.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

I do think the drum sound on It's Hard is better than the one on Face Dances- I just don't think either sounds all that good. Or that any Who related album sounded very good after Quadrophenia. FD was on the end of the 70's dead drum sound era- yeah, it sounds like Long Run but it sounds like most everything from then, Who Are You included.