Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF covers

WTF covers

What's wrong with those??

Most covers are bloody awful anyway. I don't ever want to hear covers. Doing a cover IMO demonstrates a lack of creativity or drive. It's a lazy thing to do.
    Very few are better than the original anyway, and even when they are, they are still covers i.e. one artist simply using the creativity of another artist and the success of the track.

I hate covers.
    The Prog Corner

It's only recently in history that musicians were also songwriters. Those *are* two different disciplines. Some great players would be better off letting others write the songs (Yngwie Malmsteen, anyone?). So it's a bit silly to hate covers. SOME covers, I can totally agree with...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    It's only recently in history that musicians were also songwriters. Those *are* two different disciplines. Some great players would be better off letting others write the songs (Yngwie Malmsteen, anyone?). So it's a bit silly to hate covers.
    Not to mention that it's one of the only ways for a vast majority of musicians to make a living, yours truly included. But I don't think I'd put any covers on my album (if I were to make another one) except for a jewel case and art sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    It's only recently in history that musicians were also songwriters. Those *are* two different disciplines. Some great players would be better off letting others write the songs (
    After watching my video footage of Bob Dylan's portion of the Concert for Bangladesh, my dad's opinion was that Bob is "a songwriter who tries to be a performer." thank you for reminding me of that.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    What's wrong with those??
    with the 'Thunderstruck' cover, nothing (other than too short) but I think the RW' cover of KoHD is pretty poor. or maybe it's just the sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Most covers are bloody awful anyway. I don't ever want to hear covers. Doing a cover IMO demonstrates a lack of creativity or drive. It's a lazy thing to do.
    Very few are better than the original anyway, and even when they are, they are still covers i.e. one artist simply using the creativity of another artist and the success of the track.
    What a load of crap! Ever listen to Jeff Beck?

this is one of my favorite covers ever. EVER.

Agreed that some (actually most) covers are unnecessary and disappointing. Then there's:

Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
    The Hollies - Sandy (Springsteen), Just One Look
    Beatles - (Several) Words Of Love comes to mind first
    Janis - Me & Bobby McGee
    And so on.......and on......and on.......and on

For me at least, there are way too many great covers to blanketly condemn that outlet for some artists.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

i LOVE The Beatles' covers of Money, Twist and Shout, Please Mr. Postman, Til There Was You, Roll Over Beethoven, Chains, Boys, A Taste of Honey, Slow Down, Matchbox, Rock and Roll music, Honey Don't, Everybody's Tryin' to Be My Baby. their other covers I don't know that well.

^ That's Great. I love it. Somebody should do a cover of Fairies Wear Boots & Faeries Living at The Bottom of the Garden. I mean blend them together. that would be FUUUUUUN.

I love covers that add something new, rearrange the original, or interpret it in unexpected ways...

Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    I love covers that add something new, rearrange the original, or interpret it in unexpected ways...
    me too.

I actually really like this woman's covers. Olivia Dvorak, aka Poopy Lungstuffing.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    me too.
    Me three.

I had to listen to Adele's song first cause I never heard it or even heard of it. fairly painful for me, that was. Dirty Loops' version is better but I still don't like the song.

Most covers are bloody awful anyway. I don't ever want to hear covers.
    Interesting. I would think your time in this thread would be minimal, since you have no interest.

Doing a cover IMO demonstrates a lack of creativity or drive. It's a lazy thing to do.
    Lazy?When a band completely changes the music and does something different than the original, that is lazy, eh? Ummm, ok.

Success of the track? To do a cover song, the original had to have been successful….? Please, tell us more…

I had to listen to Adele's song first cause I never heard it or even heard of it. fairly painful for me, that was. Dirty Loops' version is better but I still don't like the song.
    It was a HUGE hit and people are crazy about it! I can't tell you how many I times I've heard folks call it a "great song." I don't get it either, but us PE folks live in a different world where musical tastes are concerned.

I like what Dirty Loops did with it, making it "muso friendly" with "adult" chords, rhythms and chops. I've played it for some people who thought the original was great and they usually say, "they're missing the point!" I always tell them they're making their own point.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Congratulations; you're almost as out of touch as I am.

the most painful cover I ever heard was a lady hollering 'Light My Fire'. It was absolutely horrendous. I hate to criticize anything musically or artistically, but... (and I can't even tell you who it is-she really belts it out, absolutely killing all the mood that the Doors arranged into the original-and there was a lot to kill, but she was able to render everything lifeless)

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    (if I were to make another one)
    We really wish you would.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    the most painful cover I ever heard was a lady hollering 'Light My Fire'. It was absolutely horrendous. I hate to criticize anything musically or artistically, but... (and I can't even tell you who it is-she really belts it out, absolutely killing all the mood that the Doors arranged into the original-and there was a lot to kill, but she was able to render everything lifeless)
    if you ask me, this is hideous, but I give the cat kudos for doing it & putting it online.