Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Results 176 to 191 of 191

Thread: WTF covers

  1. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Apparently Jannick Top is one of the men behind this “should not exist, yet it does” monstrosity:
    Say it ain't so! :'-(
    Amazon Marketplace - http://www.amazon.com/shops/A3UJ306B3ZDWF4
    Many hard to find CDs (mostly prog)

  2. #177
    Hadn't heard this one before: "Layla" played by Judy Schomper, Flairck's original violin-player:

    Last edited by interbellum; 01-22-2020 at 10:40 AM.

  3. #178
    Damn ... it's well done but leaves out the good part of the song (which would be really well adapted for violin).
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

  4. #179
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

  5. #180
    OK, so re-reading this thread, I find that in one of my old posts, my inability to proofread again caught up with me, so I'm gonna try this again:

    Probably about 10 or 12 years ago, I saw this female pianist/vocalist on a talk show do a jazz piano trio reading of Smoke On The Water. She basically turned it into a torch song, and she totally made it work. The thing that was cool was that she dispensed with the guitar riff, except for one brief bit near the end where she sang it. I don't know who it was but I thought ti sounded really cool and would love to hear more.

    Edit: I think it could have been Judith Owen:


  6. #181
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    3,043
    I thought I already posted this but I couldn't find it again with a quick scan...


  7. #182
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Nice one
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    OK, so re-reading this thread, I find that in one of my old posts, my inability to proofread again caught up with me, so I'm gonna try this again:

    Probably about 10 or 12 years ago, I saw this female pianist/vocalist on a talk show do a jazz piano trio reading of Smoke On The Water. She basically turned it into a torch song, and she totally made it work. The thing that was cool was that she dispensed with the guitar riff, except for one brief bit near the end where she sang it. I don't know who it was but I thought ti sounded really cool and would love to hear more.

    Edit: I think it could have been Judith Owen:

    And with Leland Sklar.

  8. #183
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Nice one


    And with Leland Sklar.
    That guy shows up everywhere. I saw him last year outdoors at an ampi-theater.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  9. #184
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    That guy shows up everywhere. I saw him last year outdoors at an ampi-theater.
    I can remember having seen him in Rotterdam on the pavement of a restaurant. Or it was someone who looked like him, I didn't dare to ask him if he was Leland Sklar.

  10. #185
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19
    I'll add my own recent cover tune here if you don't mind. My occasional bandmate, Jonas Reingold, makes a lovely fretless bass appearance in the second half.


  11. #186
    ^^It isn't Mad World (speaking of favourite covers, but it's working [sic] very well! Great arrangement.

  12. #187
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    Posts
    1,235
    German metal band, Thunder And Lightning, are now streaming their cover of the Phil Collins classic, "I Don't Care Anymore". VERY different from the oriignal:


  13. #188
    I LOVE this cover of "Beat It" by Dutch prog-metal band, Lemur Voice.

    It even has a couple of jazz breaks, with killer trumpet solo on the second one.


    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

  14. #189
    Well, that certainly went in unexpected directions!
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

  15. #190
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    German metal band, Thunder And Lightning, are now streaming their cover of the Phil Collins classic, "I Don't Care Anymore". VERY different from the oriignal:

    Tweaker did a cover of this song in 2012:


  16. #191

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •