Thread: I you like _________, then you should really check out _____________?????

I you like _________, then you should really check out _____________?????

OK group mind....

I have been really digging Opeth's Pale Communion. What else is in this loose-structure but song-oriented universe of bands/albums? (And, yes, I have Damnation and Heritage...looking for non-opeth).

Maybe try Agalloch--The Mantle

This one too--Morte Macabre - Symphonic Holocaust

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Maybe some Meshuggah?, Destroy Erase Improve or Obzen
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Anathema, Katatonia or Pain Of Salvation, Riverside remind me of the non-cookie monster Opeth at times.

OK, an obscure one for me:

If I like The Mandrake Project, I should really check out_______________________.

I miss this band.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Found some katatonia on youtube and that is really up my ally. Riverside is solid too!

Quote Originally Posted by littleatlas_steve View Post
    Found some katatonia on youtube and that is really up my ally. Riverside is solid too!
    Steve. try Wisdom of Crowds. Katatonia's singer does the vocals and Bruce from Pineapple Thief is there too.

November's Doom is similar to Opeth.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    OK, an obscure one for me:

If I like The Mandrake Project, I should really check out_______________________.

I miss this band.
    These are the ones who made the great A Miraculous Container, right? Then try These New Puritans' Field of Reeds or anything by Make a Rising.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

If you like Phil Collins try Val Doonican or Max Bygraves

I agree with the following pairings for several different reasons. More recent Opeth => Katatonia, Anathema, Riverside, Maschine, Russian Circles, OSI, Dredg, Pain of Salvation
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

If you like Little Atlas, then you should really check out Strattman.

Old people are simply unpredictable.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    If you like Little Atlas, then you should really check out Strattman.

Old people are simply unpredictable.
    That is an excellent album.

Regards,
    Jon