Thread: The Masters of Deceit: Anybody Familiar?

The Masters of Deceit: Anybody Familiar?

Sometimes my brain coughs up something that has been long tucked away in it's memory banks for reasons unknown. This morning I found myself thinking about this forgotten psychedelic/jazz-rock/proto-prog album that I had when it came out in '69 and not surprisingly, I found it on YT. This band was apparently from Indianapolis and made only one album. I used to listen to it a lot back then but haven't heard it in almost 45 years. Listening with my seasoned and hairy adult ears, it still sounds pretty good (aside from the production values which are very much of the time). They were good musicians, especially the keyboard player/bandleader. I'm just curious if anybody here ever knew that it existed.

Full album:

Yep - I have this one on CD (Vanguard). It's been a few years since I heard it, and didn't jot any notes down - but do recall it being a nice hidden gem.

Cool; I had faith that somebody here would know of this obscurity! For an American album from '69, there's a surprising bit of a Canterbury vibe going on.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    Yep - I have this one on CD (Vanguard). It's been a few years since I heard it, and didn't jot any notes down - but do recall it being a nice hidden gem.
    If it helps, I noticed you gave it a 10 on gnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    If it helps, I noticed you gave it a 10 on gnosis.
    Well - I did know that much at least... I've noticed that on relistens many of these albums are getting a +1, so when I get to it (whenever that will be), I'll try to put some notes down and put in the UMR blog.

Nice album, tollerable vocals, great playing the guitar in paticular is brilliant and memoreable compositions