Thread: For Bruce Cockburn Fans

For Bruce Cockburn Fans

He has finally penned his memoirs and will be releasing a 9-CD boxset (with a concert DVD) that apparently go hand in hand with the memoirs. Sounds good to me!

http://brucecockburn.com/
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Just saw him live last month. He has a violin player with him who is quite amazing —*almost Hendrixian on that thing! Definitely one of our Canadian musical treasures, along with Rush and Serge Fiori!

Looking forward to this. I had to go to Toronto (from Connecticut) to find the documentary "Pacing the Cage". You Canadians have all the good stuff!
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

I saw him a few years back and it was with a female violinist as well. She was the opening act with her own music (my girlfriend bought the CD) and then she accompanied Bruce through his set. It made for interesting arrangements of his songs, but I would have preferred seeing him on his solo tour a few years before. I believe he lives in Montreal and may have ridden his bicycle to the gig!

I find him to be one of Canada's unsung musical visionaries. In his younger days, when his vocals were a little stronger than they are now, I'd have called him a true "triple threat", ie, an artist that can deliver the goods musically, vocally, and lyrically.

He also brought back the hard-hitting stuff, like "Call it Democracy", into his sets, which is nice. I like most of his discography, from the early hippie Christian folk to the angry eighties to the environmentalist nineties... not the best singer but he gets by, and a top guitarist and songwriter.

His voice has definitely changed over the years, it's much deeper now, but I still find it to be quite pleasant, even when he sings the occasional older song (not sure if he changes keys or not). I saw him last in Feb, 2013, and it was a wonderful solo show. I do wish he would play more long forgotten gems from his 70s albums, stuff like Gavin's Woodpile, Clocks Don't Bring Tomorrow, etc...

Thanks for the heads up on this, I went ahead and took the plunge for the boxset + book (seems to be priced the same as the boxset alone, $150 CAD either way). Most of the songs on the CDs are previously released, but there are some new and rare tracks, plus a live DVD, plus it's signed and numbered, so as a fanboy, I had to do it.

I have already hinted to my girlfriend at what a great gift this would make...

WOW, cool! Thanks for the info.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Suspended
    Cockburn is one of those artists of whom I've really liked the little I've heard and always meant to investigate further but never got around to it. Any particular recommendations?

He has only had two (very minor) hits in this country: "Wondering Where the Lions Are" and "If a Tree Falls".

Thanks Yves! I'll have to get the book. Cockburn has been a world traveler and he's seen a lot first hand, so it'll be interesting to read what he has to say.

I would recommend his late 70s period. It is my favorite. Albums such as:

Into The Falling Dark
    The Further Adventures of...
    Dancing In The Dragon's Jaws
    Circle In The Stream (Excellent live recording of that era)

I'm getting a dead end for that box set track listing link.

Here's a direct link. http://truenorth.labelstore.ca/relea...y-box-set.html

I've heard a few of his albums-I love 'Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws', the rest was so-so to me. I bought 'Dragon's Jaws' though, which has some just killer tracks such as 'Badlands Flashback' and 'After The Rain'. Just listened to this a couple of weeks ago in fact, and I still loved it. I'd like to know if any of his other albums are similar to this?

I only know a few of his songs, If I Had A Rocket Launcher and If A Tree Falls, but I've always been curious to hear more. I recall reading that he got dropped from a music festival somewhere in South America or someplace like that, not because of the political bent of his lyrics, but because he wears an earring, and someone decided that "crossed the line of good taste" or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I've heard a few of his albums-I love 'Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws', the rest was so-so to me. I bought 'Dragon's Jaws' though, which has some just killer tracks such as 'Badlands Flashback' and 'After The Rain'. Just listened to this a couple of weeks ago in fact, and I still loved it. I'd like to know if any of his other albums are similar to this?
    I'd go with the 1977 live album, Circle In The Stream, or the 1978 release, Further Adventures Of...

Also, the Re-issue of In The Falling Dark is great! Includes an extra 30 minutes of material from the sessions.

Circles in the Stream is actually a really good intro to the seventies acoustic stuff. Salt, Sun and Time is a great album, as is In the Falling Dark.

And Stealing Fire from the eighties because you'd kind of have to be tone-deaf not to appreciate "Lovers in a Dangerous Time".

Box set looks pretty dull, IMO. 7 discs of officially released stuff (all of which I have) and only a single disc of rarities gets the balance wrong.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I would recommend his late 70s period. It is my favorite. Albums such as:

Into The Falling Dark
    The Further Adventures of...
    Dancing In The Dragon's Jaws
    Circle In The Stream (Excellent live recording of that era)
    Agreed - although I would add Humans to this list.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I'd go with the 1977 live album, Circle In The Stream, or the 1978 release, Further Adventures Of...

Also, the Re-issue of In The Falling Dark is great! Includes an extra 30 minutes of material from the sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by makeyourowntaste View Post
    Circles in the Stream is actually a really good intro to the seventies acoustic stuff. Salt, Sun and Time is a great album, as is In the Falling Dark.

And Stealing Fire from the eighties because you'd kind of have to be tone-deaf not to appreciate "Lovers in a Dangerous Time".
    Thanks I will check those

I remember getting his first record, way back in the early 70s and not knowing how big he would become. Circles in the Stream is one of the great live records. Perfect in all ways.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.