Thread: Top 5 progressive metal albums

Gorguts- Obscura
    Voivod- Nothingface
    Behold the Arctopus- Horrorcension
    Ved Buens Ende- Written in Waters
    Cynic- Focus

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    This one is a sheer MONSTER, although it does tend to drag on a bit. But they were a truly original band. I never cared for their "mandatory" (and sometimes seemingly a bit forced) connections to the usual black metal scene, but the opening track on Written in Waters counts among the most impressive and convincing kickoffs to any album I ever heard. And of course the Voivod influence WAS seminal...
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I mentioned this one back on post #35.

I agree with everything you say about it.

Wolverine is one of the most under-appreciated prog-metal bands around.
    my bad. I thought I noticed everyone else's and was just trying to throw in a different one. I love The Window Purpose as well but Communication Lost just seems like it was a culmination of everything the band was leading up to if that makes sense. I'd rate Still and Cold Light Of Monday just a tad below the others. some may disagree but I found Wolverine's prog metal style more accessible than some of the technical and complex offerings from other bands. not that it was simple or anything like that, it's just that I thought they could showcase their mettle without being overindulgent. I really enjoyed that dark melancholy change of pace. the songwriting just kept getting better as well. I don't have Fervent Dream so I don't know about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I think they suffer from the same fate as Riverside, not Metal enough to be appreciated by Metal-Heads and a little too Metal to be appreciated by Prog-Heads.
    I'm a little different than that. both bands are plenty metal and prog enough for me. Green Carnation is another one that I believe doesn't get enough recognition. like you say though, everyone has their own take on what that genre is about. some simply don't like the fact one would put prog and metal together at all and call it a sub genre. that doesn't really bother me too much but it is confusing at times that there has to be so many genres at all. in the good old days, it was rock, hard rock, heavy metal and simply progressive. now I can't keep up with all of them. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new one tomorrow.

some people think if you add keyboards to metal then it automatically becomes prog metal. I'm not really sure how I would define it but I won't begrudge anyone who thinks that way. if I want to call something I'm listening to as prog metal, then I will. you might disagree but it's only my opinion, not a definitive proclamation by any means. I said earlier in the thread that I thought Sabbath's first album was progressive metal and I stand by that. one might also argue that ITCOTCK, Sea Shanties, were early preludes to the genre. bands like Lucifer's Friend and Night Sun could be seen as harbingers of things to come. please feel free to dispute these opinions of mine with your own. I'm not easily offended by what others think. BTW, when I say "you" or "yours" I'm not specifically meaning you "Just Eric"...just generalizing

still trying to come up with a top 5 but it's not easy. I might start with Transcendence from Crimson Glory though. with Operation Mindcrime and FW's No Exit coming out the same year, Transcendence was probably overlooked by many. it's still a favorite of mine.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    This one is a sheer MONSTER, although it does tend to drag on a bit. But they were a truly original band. I never cared for their "mandatory" (and sometimes seemingly a bit forced) connections to the usual black metal scene, but the opening track on Written in Waters counts among the most impressive and convincing kickoffs to any album I ever heard. And of course the Voivod influence WAS seminal...
    another problem....I keep seeing these bands I never heard of or discovering them on my own. ever changing but I like it. you seem to have a really good sense of so many bands Scrotum Scissor and I always note who you mention. don't feel left out anyone else. I pay astute attention to most of the posts here. Progressive Ears has the some of the most knowledgeable folks around when it comes to music.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    There are some awkward bits, but I'd say it really is "progressive metal" in the truest sense of the word. Three guys who were active in that 90s black metal scene with all of its "rules" and KVLT attitudes really trying to push their limits. I can forgive some growing pains.

Their drummer, now a guitarist, has a group called Virus that sounds like VBE with the overt black metal cues removed. Possibly even more Voivodian than VBE.

Their drummer, now a guitarist, has a group called Virus that sounds like VBE with the overt black metal cues removed. Possibly even more Voivodian than VBE.
    Yup, I know. They're quite good!

And for the uninitiated; Carl-Michael Eide (VBE drummer, now axeman with Virus) also guested on the debut White Willow album back in '95 (the track "Cryptomenisis", I believe). Eide suffered a devastating accident about a decade ago, leaving him part paraplegic and mostly in a wheelchair; he's actually even been called "the Wyatt of Norwegian metal" (not kidding).
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Dusty Chalk, you're naming many great prog bands that aren't even close to being metal. SGM??? Really?
    :-)
    Well...maybe because the first time I heard them was at a multiple-header bill of largely prog metal acts. And maybe because I associate metal with the most extremes of prog.

(shows no remorse)
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk View Post
    because the first time I heard them was at a multiple-header bill of largely prog metal acts.
    To be a fly on that wall!

I would call these the most influential:

Rush - Hemispheres
    Iron Maiden - Powerslave
    Queensryche - Queen of the Reich EP
    Watchtower - Control and Resistance
    Fates Warning - No Exit