Thread: Saga : What are the best post 80s albums?

Saga : What are the best post 80s albums?

I was a big fan back in the 80s and had the pleasure of running into Micheal Sadler at a bar after a 1985 performance in Burlington VT. He bought me a beer and talked to me for almost an hour. I was going through a tough time in my life and he was very encouraging. Cool guy.

Anyways I kind of lost track of them in the 90s but have recently rediscovered the early 80s albums and am wondering which of their post 90s albums are the strongest and worth purchasing.

You'll get a wide variety of responses, with different people probably nominating every album at some point. That said, my choices would be The Security of Illusion, House of Cards, and Network. (The live album with both the old and the new "chapters" is also very worthwhile, IMHO). To me, those come closest to their classic early '80s approach. Like I said though, others will certainly disagree!

“generation 13”
    “network”
    “10,000 days”
    honourary mention: “the human condition” (stronger than expected)

in saying that, i actually like the three chapters-revival albums the least. at that point they became their own covers band. the best tracks on there are the ones which sound least obviously like SAGA. however, even doghouse albums like “steel umbrellas” (very funky vibe) and “pleasure & pain” (a demoish hodgepodge with some actually very cool ideas here and there) have something to offer. strangely enough the very aseptic and phoned-in cut/paste-job “marathon” has become a closet fave of mine due to its very unique atmosphere which somewhat compensates the weak songwriting.

For me personally, 'House of Cards' is the best album Saga have ever released. I like it even more than s.c. classic efforts from late 70's - early 80's.

Network and 10,000 Days would be my top picks. Generation 13 is excellent but one that I rarely listen to because I feel like you have to listen to the full thing or not at all.

Security Of Illusion
    Generation 13
    Full Circle
    House Of Cards
    Trust

I like "The Security of Illusion" and "Trust" the most out of the 7 or so post-1980's Saga albums I've heard.

Yup, House Of Cards for sure, along with Security Of Illusion. I've heard everything else and I can recommend 3 tracks from Network, That's it IMHO. I appreciate other will have a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Anyways I kind of lost track of them in the 90s but have recently rediscovered the early 80s albums and am wondering which of their post 90s albums are the strongest and worth purchasing.
    I personally don't get all the love for The Security of Illusion, but you may like it. Generation 13 is overrated, so don't get that one right away. Avoid Marathon like the plague. That was a misfire.

You want/need:

Full Circle (1999). A tremendous album. People usually like this one more or as much as its successor, House of Cards.

Trust and 10,000 Days (the last album before Michael Sadler left for a spell) are among the band's best works.

You may also want to check out [Saga keyboardist] Jim Gilmour's solo album The Great Escape, which, of course, sounds like Saga, but includes some nice instrumentals.