Thread: "Rachel Flowers - Hearing Is Believing" - documentary crowdfunding campaign

"Rachel Flowers - Hearing Is Believing" - documentary crowdfunding campaign

Hi Everybody,

I just wanted to drop a quick note here since this board has always been so supportive of Rachel. I know Jubal posted earlier about the documentary film that's being made. Filming is well under way with a considerable amount of performance footage, interviews with key figures in Rachel's life, and "fly on the wall" segments of Rachel in her home studio composing, arranging, and recording her original material as well as her covers of the music she loves. There is still more to shoot, and of course then there is editing and all that fun post-production stuff. Director Lorenzo DeStefano is aiming for a 2015 release date.

The thing is, this film isn't being funded by some deep-pockets entity. It is an independent film venture being created and funded by individuals who believe in Rachel and in this project.

I would like to invite you to join us.

We are presently in the midst of an Indiegogo crowd funding campaign. We are at 61% of our goal of $10,000 with 20 days to go. If this is something you think you might be interested in supporting, please visit the Hearing Is Believing page at Indiegogo at http://igg.me/at/Rachel-Flowers/x/8342042 You can read about director Lorenzo DeStefano and his past projects, and his vision for this film. We welcome your support - we think we have some really nice rewards attached to the contributions at every level.

Naturally there will be a soundtrack CD, which will include several of Rachel's original compositions.

Thanks in advance! Jeanie

http://igg.me/at/Rachel-Flowers/x/8342042

That will be a no-brainer. I expect to see the Geezer supporting this soon also. Someone should book her for a folk, prog, jazz....some kind of music festival.

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    That will be a no-brainer. I expect to see the Geezer supporting this soon also.
    Yeah, me too!

EDIT: Just did. Someone like Rachel comes along so infrequently that if you can afford it and are a lover of superb progressive music it should be a no-brainer for you as well!
    Last edited by progeezer; 09-22-2014 at 11:40 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Thank you gryphs and progeezer! For more information on the project, more production stills, and more info on the director and other key personnel please visit www.rachelflowersfilm.com

So happy to have you on board!!

Jeanie

ETA: Please help us to spread the word! Feel free to post the indiegogo link http://igg.me/at/Rachel-Flowers/x/8342042 and www.rachelflowersfilm.com to any other forums, groups, facebook pages you deem appropriate! thx! jcf
    Last edited by Rachel's Mom; 09-23-2014 at 12:34 PM. Reason: forgot to add...

Thank you to those of you who have contributed!

If for some reason you aren't comfortable using indiegogo, there is also a paypal link at http://www.rachelflowersfilm.com

Every little bit helps!

Jeanie - http://igg.me/at/rachel-flowers

bump.

this film is supposedly being released on Friday to some theaters. Although it's not coming to the Twin Cities where I live, that I can tell. But others may want to look for it this weekend/next week or in the coming weeks/months.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/hearing-is-believing

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    bump.

this film is supposedly being released on Friday to some theaters. Although it's not coming to the Twin Cities where I live, that I can tell. But others may want to look for it this weekend/next week or in the coming weeks/months.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/hearing-is-believing
    • June 16-June 22 at Laemmle Music Hall, Beverly Hills, CA - Q+A with the Lorenzo DeStefano(director/producer) and Rachel & Jeanie Flowers - Friday 6/16 after the 7:00 showing
    • June 16-June 22 at Cinema Village, New York, NY -
      • Q+A June 16th at the 7:15PM show with Patti Channer (executive producer)
      • Q+A June 17th at the 7:15PM show with Lorenzo DeStefano (director/producer) and Patti Channer (executive producer)
      • Q+A June 18th at the 3:15PM show with Lorenzo DeStefano (director/producer) and Patti Channer (executive producer)
    • June 23-June 28 at Digital Gym Cinema, San Diego, CA
    • June 30-July 2 at Center for Contemporary Arts, Santa Fe, NM
    • June 20 cable and internet video on demand.
    • July 11 DVD and Blu-ray release

More theaters and dates may be added.
    Last edited by rminsk; 06-15-2017 at 06:16 AM.

As some of you might be aware, Rachel is doing some interviews to promote the film (with her mum and Lorenzo Destefano). The one below is a must listen for any fans, as it's mainly Rachel playing various pieces (on piano mainly, but also a bit of guitar and flute). It's really great.

Poinciana - Ahmad Jamal
    Greg's Favorite - Rachel Flowers
    Syrinx - Claude Debussy (Flute)
    Endless Enigma - Emerson, Lake, & Palmer
    2112 - Rush (guitar excerpt)
    Prog Symphony - Rachel Flowers (guitar excerpt)
    Dolphin Dance - Herbie Hancock

https://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/tom...rachel-flowers

The film is now available to stream on Amazon free for Prime members. I watched it tonight for the first time, with my wife. We both enjoyed it a lot, but I felt it was a bit padded. There were parts I would have cut out, and others I would have extended (e.g., more of her playing ELP songs), but then I'm not a huge fan of documentaries in general. The scenes with her and Dweezil, and her sitting in with ZPZ, are worth the price of admission, imo.

https://www.amazon.com/Hearing-Belie...7172833&sr=1-1

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    The film is now available to stream on Amazon free for Prime members. I watched it tonight for the first time, with my wife. We both enjoyed it a lot, but I felt it was a bit padded. There were parts I would have cut out, and others I would have extended (e.g., more of her playing ELP songs), but then I'm not a huge fan of documentaries in general. The scenes with her and Dweezil, and her sitting in with ZPZ, are worth the price of admission, imo.

https://www.amazon.com/Hearing-Belie...7172833&sr=1-1
    I could've done without the divorce info and song. Totally agree the ZPZ sessions are worth watching the whole thing. They have some video I have yet to see on YouTube. Agreed it would have been nice to see more ELP stuff. It was nice to see how she used her audio work station.
    I haven't seen anything from her since the Emerson Tribute in Birmingham, UK. Hope she's doing OK.

It pains me to say it, but I thought that the film was poor. I don't think it does a good job of showcasing Rachel's formidable talents at all. Maybe that wasn't the point, I don't know.

Sure there are some lovely moments, and of course I had tears in my eyes at times. But then, as a huge fan, I knew the context of just about every scene. Apart from the Stevie Wonder clip. I'd defy anyone to explain what the hell was going on there.

It just looked like a decent home movie to me, something that Rachel could show her grandchildren. 'This is me, before I won the Grammy's. And you see that Stevie Wonder guy? He didn't have a clue who I was'.

Reading other viewer comments on Amazon and Facebook, I guess I'm in a minority of one. Of course it goes without saying that any Rachel fan needs to see it.

And looking at the film critically again, no, it didn't need any more EL bloody P! I can agree with the director on that one.
    Last edited by Philly112; 10-05-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Lucky Man
    The single most musically talented person I've ever seen.

And nothing can prepare you for Rachel at the piano.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I could've done without the divorce info and song. Totally agree the ZPZ sessions are worth watching the whole thing. They have some video I have yet to see on YouTube. Agreed it would have been nice to see more ELP stuff. It was nice to see how she used her audio work station.
    I haven't seen anything from her since the Emerson Tribute in Birmingham, UK. Hope she's doing OK.
    Divorce info? We don't talk about the divorce at all in the film, so I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. And my song was not about my divorce - if you listen to the entire song, Dan (my ex, and Rachel's dad) is actually the "Prince Charming" of the lyric. Oh, and he knows that. He and I have a good relationship. ~ jeanie

p.s. Rachel is doing great. We are finishing her second album as we speak. jf
    Last edited by Rachel's Mom; 10-05-2017 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel's Mom View Post
    Fantastic news. So wish I could see her play in NJ next weekend with Pete Jones and Francis Dunnery. Dying to know what they'll play. I think I saw that Pete was thanked in the credits of the movie, so I'm guessing their paths have crossed before?

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel's Mom View Post
    Divorce info? We don't talk about the divorce at all in the film, so I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. And my song was not about my divorce - if you listen to the entire song, Dan (my ex, and Rachel's dad) is actually the "Prince Charming" of the lyric. Oh, and he knows that. He and I have a good relationship. ~ jeanie

Great news Jeanie.