Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GENTLE GIANT: "Live At The Bicentennial" 1976 2-CD set due Nov. 18th.

GENTLE GIANT: "Live At The Bicentennial" 1976 2-CD set due Nov. 18th.

From the official GG Facebook page:

Gentle Giant is delighted to present its first ‘official’ live recording since 1976 “Playing the Fool Live”. Titled “Gentle Giant Live at the Bicentennial”, the recording was taken from a concert on July 3rd 1976 at the Calderone Theater, Hempstead, Long Island, which was broadcast for a local radio station.

There are no overdubs or other enhancements on this very live recording. It features Gentle Giant unedited, uninhibited and unrepentant.

The concert features the best-remembered music from past recordings as well as rare songs from the album “Interview” which the band was supporting at that time.

“Gentle Giant Live At The Bicentennial” 1976 is a 2-CD set release available everywhere from November 18th onwards on Alucard Music.

Enjoy Gentle Giant Live at the Bicentennial!

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

It's a beautiful day.

holy lol @ that cover
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Awesome, there can't be enough of (good sounding) GG live! (love the cover )
    Last edited by TheH; 09-22-2014 at 03:19 PM.

Wow, I hope the sound quality is good on this one, I have a few CDs that I have acquired over the years that are very "warts and all". Absolutely love that cover too!

I've gotten a little burned out on all the live GG stuff that has come out. But I must say this looks interesting. I really like Interview, so the fact that it is from this tour is attractive to me. Also like that it is "warts and all." I'll likely get this.

Bill

I think the Bonus track on the 35th Anniversary reissue of Interview was from that concert (and it was Interview I think).

Can anyone comment on the sound quality of that track?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    So those live releases Out of the Woods and what was the other one (?) aren't official or legal releases?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    So those live releases Out of the Woods and what was the other one (?) aren't official or legal releases?
    Official, yes. Live, well not technically. At least, not in front of a live audience.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I this a multitrack recording?

Legit, live and in good sound quality:

1. "Live on the King Biscuit Flower Hour '75"

http://www.discogs.com/Gentle-Giant-...elease/3195349

2. "Live in Stockholm 1975"

http://www.mlplive.com/mlplive_009.htm
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 09-22-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Saw them on that tour and they had a great setlist-remember them playing 'Memories of old Days' and being pretty blown as the song wasn't out yet.

Gentle Giant and Yes in '76 at the SF Cow Palace was my 1st prog concert. This release is exciting because if I recall correctly, the show was around 7/20/76 so this should have been pretty much the same show I saw. Had no idea who Gentle Giant were that night but the day after the show I bought Free Hand Curious how this setlist compares to Playing the Fool.
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

As cool as this sounds I have a lot of live GG on disk and video... think I'll wait for some indication it's essential before I grab it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wonder if there'll be a download?

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Saw them on that tour and they had a great setlist-remember them playing 'Memories of old Days' and being pretty blown as the song wasn't out yet.
    I think you will find that you are referring to the first '77 tour. They played the whole of side 2 of the MISSING PIECE, before it was released. They didn't care to play side 1, but that's another story...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Gentle Giant and Yes in '76 at the SF Cow Palace was my 1st prog concert. This release is exciting because if I recall correctly, the show was around 7/20/76 so this should have been pretty much the same show I saw. Had no idea who Gentle Giant were that night but the day after the show I bought Free Hand Curious how this setlist compares to Playing the Fool.
    I was there too. My first GG concert. I was a fan of them for 2 years.

http://www.forgotten-yesterdays.com/...70&qdateid=523
    Last edited by Rand Kelly; 09-22-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Love that cover!

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I think the Bonus track on the 35th Anniversary reissue of Interview was from that concert (and it was Interview I think).

Can anyone comment on the sound quality of that track?
    Not terrible, but far from great.

That cover while hilarious has a wrong side to it. I'm interested if the sound quality is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Flang View Post
    I this a multitrack recording?
    There has been an FM version of the broadcast around for some time - I suspect that this will be from that and not a multi track although I'd love to be proven wrong

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    There has been an FM version of the broadcast around for some time - I suspect that this will be from that and not a multi track although I'd love to be proven wrong

BG
    Can a GG fanatic post the setlist/tracklist for this release? I suppose it's already known if this concert has already circulated as a bootleg.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post

BG
    I'll wait for reviews. If this release uses the same source that was used as a bonus tracks on some of the remasters, i will pass. They sounded pretty awful to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Can a GG fanatic post the setlist/tracklist for this release?
    Fanatic is a slight stretch personally, as while I have everything they've released and saw them multiple times in 70's, I consider their greatest contribution to be Gary Green's comment that I've lifted for my sig line

That being said, happy to oblige - I transferred a low gen cassette of the show to CD-R many moons ago, here is what I show

Just the Same
    Proclamation
    On Reflection
    Interview
    Runaway / Experience
    So Sincere
    Excerpts from Octopus
    Band Intros
    Give it Back
    Timing
    Free Hand

BG
    Last edited by Brian Griffin; 09-23-2014 at 08:57 AM.
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I've gotten a little burned out on all the live GG stuff that has come out. But I must say this looks interesting. I really like Interview, so the fact that it is from this tour is attractive to me. Also like that it is "warts and all." I'll likely get this.

Bill

+1....LOVE Interview so this should be very delightful.