Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Earliest CD Purchases

I remember how big a deal it was when Sgt. Pepper first came out on CD. It was released on the 20th anniversary of the original LP's release, and I remember being excited to rush to the store and buy it. I think that was my first CD, so that would have been 1987. I would have bought 90125 soon after.

For years I limited my CD purchases to a few favorite bands and still bought everything else on cassette, since cassettes were cheaper and (at that time) more portable -- I remember having a cassette deck in my car, but if I wanted to listen to a CD on the go, I'd have to bring along my boom box and sit it on the seat. I probably didn't fully make the switch to CD till around 1996 or '97.

Probably Soft Machine.Don't recall which SM.

Circa early 90's.
    Last edited by walt; 09-22-2014 at 11:08 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I bought a used CD deck around 91 and I borrowed CDs from my library system , but didn't really start buying CDs until 92/3 or sumthin' (Anglagard, RCHP's BSSM, Nevermind were a few of the first ones). This pushed me to buy a much better Yamaha CD player (along with the rest of the Hi-Fi chain), as I jumped on almost anything the Repertoire label released back then.
    Last edited by Trane; 09-22-2014 at 08:55 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

In 1991, I wrote a letter to an old friend and, at the end, just kidding around, asked if he knew anyone that happened to have an extra CD player they didn't want, to let me know. Within a week or 2, a box with a CD player inside arrived on our doorstep. My friend had bought a 6-CD player and packed away the old one. When he got my letter he dragged it out of storage and sent it to me along with a Bruce Hornsby CD. I wasn't a fan of BH but I was really knocked out that he had given me a CD player. Totally unexpected. I don't remember my first CD purchases but they probably included - at that time - Van Morrison, Neil Young, Arlo Guthrie, REM,, maybe Golden Earring or Renaissance.

I bought my first player in '87 at a Stereo show. Don't recall the brand, it was an inexpensive model that lasted about 10 years.

The first 2 discs I purchased were A Trick of the Tail & Songs From the Wood, later the same evening.

I didn't stop buying vinyl until '91. In the last couple of years I've started to buy a little bit of vinyl again, usually things that are vinyl only releases.

The first CD I ever purchased was Dark Side Of the Moon ... bought it for a friend's birthday present.

A couple years later I bought a player for myself.

I'd say that the bulk of my CD buying spree came when I discivered the Borderline books (Joynson & Asbjornssen)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I didn't stop buying vinyl until '91. In the last couple of years I've started to buy a little bit of vinyl again, usually things that are vinyl only releases.
    I may have to do that someday (the latest Aquaserge is tempting), but I've resisted so far
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I won a boxed set of Michael Nyman soundtracks in a competition and had to go out and buy a CD player (Philips CD620) to listen to them! That would be around 1989. First CDs I bought were 'Born To Run' and a Naxos chamber music compilation. Round about that time I bought my last ever vinyl, 'Electric Ladyland'.

It was Mr. Big, their first recording. I couldn't find it in vinyl, so I bought what turned out to be a very nice Tascam player. It lasted until my (now married) daughter saw the tray come out. She ran at it, and slammed it back in (along with slamming the deck up against the wall). It was permanently crippled after that...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty certain I bought my first DVD player the last few months of 1986. I can't remember the actual 1st CD I bought, but I know that by '87 I was almost exclusively buying CDs whereas most of my previous purchases were vinyl (as I didn't didn't really care for the cassette).
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I'm terrible with (even remotely) specific dates, but I was a hold-out on the CD thing for a while. I probably got my first CD player sometime around the mid '80s. It was a JVC boom-box. The first CDs I bought were albums that I had previously owned on vinyl (and I probably selected them because they were on sale):

Yes - 90125
    Jaco Pastorius - s/t

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    First cd player was 1988, Pioneer I think. First two cd's were Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits and Styx The Grand Illusion.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

I was still buying cassette albums well into the 90s. I resisted CDs for many years. I remember being on vacation in San Francisco around 1990/91 or so. I walked into a record store and asked the attendent where all the albums were. The whole store was CDs, no vinyl. It felt wrong. I don't remember exactley when I owned a CD player the first time. It was probably one of those Sony or Panasonic "shelf" systems that cost 150 dollars or something. When I got into this prog kick around 1999 or so I started buying CDs. I think the first CD(s) I ever bought was a classical music box set for cheap. I mainly bought for the wife, who loves opera and classical. Then I started buying all these rock and prog CDs. I haven't counted all my CDs but I'd estimate that I have close to a thousand.

The first cd I ever bought was Tony Banks' 'The Fugitive', several months before I even had a cd player. I bought it 'cause there were 2 bonus tracks on it. Eventually I got to actually listen to them.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I've been trying to reconstruct history lately.
    SNIP

So okay, what was available in DDD in 1984?

SNIP

DMP:
    CD-441: Warren Bernhardt - Trio '83 (1983, 1983, 12/13/1984)
    CD-443: Flim & The BBs - Tricycle (Nov 1982, 1983, 12/13/1984)
    CD-454: Flim & The BBs - Big Notes (1985, 1985, 1985)

SNIP

So okay, it looks like I didn't buy very much, if anything, in 1983. I lied. Still, I've been buying CDs for thirty years now.
    I bought my first player in 1986, and those three DMP releases were early purchases, though the first two CD's I bought was Chick Corea Elektric Band's debut and Allan Holdsworth's Atavachron.

I too resisted buying CDs until about 1997. I had a bad taste in my mouth for the longest time over the introduction of one format, and the elimination of another. I didn't want to invest in the new format only to have it become obsolete in favor of something newer. That fear obviously turned out to be unfounded.

My first CD player was a 486 computer after I added a CD-ROM drive and a sound card. I hooked up the sound card output to my stereo. My first CD was Scatterbrain's second album Scamboogery, which I bought used from a second hand bookstore.

My first cd player was a sony discman, probably in 1985 some time.
    The first cd was either Guitarissimo - Phil Manzanara or Master strokes - Bill Bruford.
    At the time 'Best Of's' made the most sense.

mark
    Last edited by markwoll; 09-22-2014 at 03:21 PM.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The earliest I bought a CD was probably around 10 AM.

I got my first player (a Denon) in 1989 and the first three CDs I bought were:
    ABWH
    Chick Corea Band - Light Years
    Pat Metheny Group - Letter From Home
    I still have two of them, guess which one I sold!

My first was Rush's Grace Under Pressure. I remember being thrilled with it. To this day, it's one of my favorite Rush albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Morphy65 View Post
    I got my first player (a Denon) in 1989 and the first three CDs I bought were:
    ABWH
    Chick Corea Band - Light Years
    Pat Metheny Group - Letter From Home
    I still have two of them, guess which one I sold!
    "Light Years," I'm hoping. Possibly his worst album.

Was around the time CD singles hit the shelves. I have quite a few 3" singles, Genesis, Simple Minds, Duran Duran etc. The CD albums came later!

My first 3 CDs were Led Zeppelin - Remasters, Madonna - The Immaculate Collection and recent featured cd Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas

Google tells me that therefore I got my first cd player late 1990 - quite a late adapter...

I was buying vinyl until Xmas 89, when my girlfriend bought me a Sony CD player.

Early Cds I bought were : ABWH, Michael Hedges-Live & John Zorn - Naked City.

They all came in those ridiculous long boxes and were around 16.99 each.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

My first cd player I bought in 1987. I purchased the "Editions" label versions of the first 4 King Crimson cd's and thought very highly of the clarity. Many cd's I bought between 89' and 93" were available at "Vintage Vinyl" in Ocean and Fords N.J. Many of these cd's were not domestically released in the U.S. and scarce to find in England. They were all Japanese imports. McDonald & Giles, The Geese and the Ghost by Anthony Phillips, the entire Greenslade collection, all the early Fleetwood Mac recordings with Green, Spencer, and Kirwan, All the Curved Air cd's, Passport, Soft Machine's Bundles, Omega, Guru, Guru and this place was a museum for Prog. Strawbs, Fairport Convention, Camel...and all cd's were between $35.00 to $40.00 dollars a piece and they were rare to find anywhere else..except maybe N.Y. or Philadelphia. I bought several Goblin cd's and things you wouldn't imagine in 1990 being available at all. Badfinger cd's were only available as Japanese imports. There was a huge selection of Electronic music that didn't officially turn up until 10 years later. I spent all that money and still bought the official domestic or British import versions 10 years after the fact. I remember buying Pink Floyd's Relics in Vintage Vinyl. The cover had a display of coins and I believe it may have been imported from France. Relics was not available for many years. The store was a proggers dream unfolded. I remember buying Jade Warrior cd's where the recordings were out of phase. All the Japanese releases of Vangelis ..it was insane.