Thread: El Paraiso Records - Causa Sui, Papir, etc.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar

El Paraiso Records - Causa Sui, Papir, etc.

I've been meaning to post about this for a while. Having been turned on to Causa Sui here, I've been poking about, picking up what I can here and there, and of wound up at their home-label website, El Paraiso.

My understanding is that the money from The Summer Sessions gave them the seed capital to start this concern. The label pretty much releases Causa Sui, all the associated solo projects from the band members, and another instrumental rock group, Papir.

I've been impressed with the quality of the music being released. I love the stark, artsy covers that scream "European import." They seriously tempt me to buy vinyl, though. I really haven't the time, nor the right kind of living space, to get into vinyl again. Still, their releases have been steadily soaking up my disposable income, such as it is.

Anyone else here been keeping abreast with these guys? Any particular releases you've found rewarding?

Once I got used to it, I found I really like Sun River. It's really laid back and warm.

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Hey,good post.I'm only familiar with Causa Sui.And sole Psicomagia album.

That's right! Psicomagia - I picked that one up too. It's sound is a bit outside my general comfort zone, but I've been growing into it. It's got this deep jazz-rock inflected psychedelic Chicano thing going on. Just conceptually, that's pretty sweet. The playing is furious. I have to be in the right head space to take on that kind of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I love the stark, artsy covers that scream "European import." They seriously tempt me to buy vinyl.
    Causa Sui itself got pissed about artsy.Trend: LP labels show little info,if at all.Protest.
    Causa Sui "Euporie Tide" introduced the most ugly label font and size in modern historical life of man.
    "Euporie Tide" was bit let down for me.

Well, I see a pattern. The Impetus releases the track info on the cover, etc. I notice that Impetus ten to be the more jam-oriented/experimental/live stuff, whereas the non-Impetus stuff, like Euporie Tide and Sun River, are more consciously composed releases, and have a different look.

The most recent Causa Sui is a collection of leftovers from the Pewt'r Sessions, and is an Impetus release. I have it on order, but haven't heard it yet. But let's see what YouTube has to offer...

Jonas MUNK "Pan" is also a recommended release.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Jonas MUNK "Pan" is also a recommended release.
    You beat me to it.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I finally got my hands on Pan. Reasonably priced discs are thin on the ground, apparently. I have to say, the first couple of spins impressed me favorably.

I like how this track unfolds:

I've also picked up the Jakob Skøtt twofer, and that has really grown on me.

The label and boys behind it, are doing no wrong by me at this point.

I had the thought to bring this thread back. I've effectively been on a D.I.Y. subscription of El Paraiso for the past couple of years.

I just got my hands on Mythic Sunship - Ouraboros, which contains three heavy slabs of goodness. I present the opening track...

The latest release from Causa Sui, Return to Sky has it's own thread, so I won't go over it here, except to say it is very good. What came out around the same time was the Nicklas Sørensen - Solo album. Nicklas Sørensen is the guitarist for Papir, a band that takes up the motorik beat as the backbone of what they do. Solo is no different. The effect, unsurprisingly, is rather like a paired down Papir. But considering how much I like Papir, this is only a good thing. Again, the opening track...

Really, this little label is delivering the goods!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Somehow this label escaped my notice entirely until the last couple of days when I bumped into a Mythic Sunship clip when I was looking at Pharoah Sanders stuff and/or Richard Pinhas on youtube, and started looking around for more info.

This has the potential to cost me some money. Qobuz downloads seem to be the most reasonable purchase option, I think.

Mythic Sunship have just released an excellent new album called "Light/Flux". Apparently they have been busy releasing an album a year for the last 4 or 5 years. This new one is a bit of a different animal than the one posted above. They have gotten away from the heavy psych jams, added a sax player, but still deliver some chaotic moments amidst quieter passages. As for Papir, they are hit and miss for me. The only one I own is "VI". Their more ambient stuff does not do it for me.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I wonder why they left El Paraiso?
    Their last two have been on Tee Pee Records.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Got this good one not long ago.

Other El Paraiso bands in my music collection include:

Astral TV
    Causa Sui
    Kanaan
    Landing
    Mythic Sunship
    Papir
    Jakob Skott
    Videodrones

Good label that I hope to explore further.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Mythic Sunship have just released an excellent new album called "Light/Flux". Apparently they have been busy releasing an album a year for the last 4 or 5 years. This new one is a bit of a different animal than the one posted above. They have gotten away from the heavy psych jams, added a sax player, but still deliver some chaotic moments amidst quieter passages. As for Papir, they are hit and miss for me. The only one I own is "VI". Their more ambient stuff does not do it for me.
    It was a refreshing choise in my opinion, that helped them not stagnate (as their output was somewhat more frequent than expexted).
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

From what I've heard so far, and I only just got started with this stuff, I like the Sunship and Causa Sui stuff that includes sax.
    There's another stoner band out of Portugal - Black Bombaim, not an El Paraiso act, who have an album with Peter Brotzmann that I'll be getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    There's another stoner band out of Portugal - Black Bombaim, not an El Paraiso act, who have an album with Peter Brotzmann that I'll be getting.
    Excellent album!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I wonder why they left El Paraiso?
    Most likely because the label (like Rune Grammofon in Norway, for instance) operates strictly in accordance with numbered details/schedules of release and Causa Sui have been on a roll for almost a decade now in producing great amounts of new stuff all along. From what I understand, they were the first band in all of Denmark to go on tour after the reopening of venues and assembly, already being one of the hardest working groups in all of Scandinavia.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Whithout knowing a lot - El Paraiso is Danish and I think the market for this kind of music is rather small in Denmark.

On their website https://elparaisorecords.com it says:

"El Paraiso Records started out in 2011 as a direct outlet for Causa Sui’s own material and related activities as well as projects that are related in spirit.

The label is run by Jonas Munk & Jakob Skøtt. [from Causa Sui]

El Paraiso is all about eco-friendly high quality vinyl."

I guess the american company Tee Pee Records has a broader distribution network, and more resources to take care of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    From what I understand, they were the first band in all of Denmark to go on tour after the reopening of venues and assembly
    Corrected; this was evidently Papir and not Causa Sui, who are notoriously restrictive in gigging.

When I was in Copenhagen in 2018, I asked the very fine mid-30s something female bartender at La Fontaine (iconic club for jazz and more in the Strøget district) about the current trends in Danish underground rock. The reason I inquired was that I'd spotted her in Accord the day before, Accord being a legendary and decades-long-standing, standard-setting retailer of allthings in both used and (to a lesser degree) new vinyl.

She told me that things certainly had changed since the 90s and 2000s, when the Fristaden/Christiania area was still a hotbed of fiercely alternative faculties in acid rock, art-punk, freak-folk, dub and the lot, actually experiencing something of a backlash to the holy glories of the 70s in that the MC gangwars and organized drug scene of the 80s almost dried aesthetics out among younger resourcefuls in the neighbourhood.

But in keeping with her regard, there was hardly any such thing as underground rock left in Copenhagen today, at least not in terms of a "scene" or "circuit" drawing cultural charge. She knew a lot of formidable vintage artists as in here (https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...ght=Coronarias), but from the present there were essentially names like Causa Sui (whom she'd seen not in Copenhagen but in Tilburg/The Netherlands at the Roadburn Festival) and Papir plus Svin and Klimaforandringer etc. Interestingly she knew A.L. Meldgaard (Frisk Frugt) personally and spun his seminal Den Europæiske Spejlbue album from 2015 while we were pretty much on our own in the locale.

Later a bit, with younger folks steaming on, she was summoned to turn off Frugt and play "[...] something jazz-like" instead, I recall - and I believe she spun Ask the Ages by Sonny Sharrock but actually had to turn that off too seeing as it wasn't adequately "jazz-like" in the minds of the kids.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

This podcast is a really nice 2 hour overview of stuff from the label.
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/2022/1...raiso-records/