Thread: Flying Colors - First Show of the Tour in Torrance

Flying Colors - First Show of the Tour in Torrance

A week from Thursday...

They may not be "your cup of tea" but there's no denying the incredible amount of talent in this band! And they are all great to watch live.

All of this can be found at CalProg.com .

Thanks for your indulgence!

PapaJ

Not to be missed

Seeing them at the Keswick on Saturday.

Been devouring the new album since Saturday. Already playing around in my mind of how it will be laid out. I suppose i shouldn't do that since I am creating expectations in my own mind but I just can't help it. This will be a tremendous show. Thanks once again Jim to make sure we got one in Southern California.

Any word on the opening band, Bend Sinister?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Any word on the opening band, Bend Sinister?
    They are from Canada. Play a sort of classic rock/prog influenced with some blues mixed in. Look like a bunch of hosers as they would say up there but they weren't bad. Played 45 minutes and ended with a cover of the Radical song by Supertramp.

So how were Flying Colors?

Awesome as usual. There were some warts, Mike wasn't happy several moments with his kit/lights and some things in the beginning they were working out some kinks in tuning etc that they were able to laugh about. Nothing major to keep a song from breaking down or anything. BUT they only had 3 full days of rehearsals and the main thing was the energy and passion were on full display. I thought Casey really took ownership of the front of the stage more than the first tour. I think the set list was very good but I am not divulging. Just a hair over 2 hours. If you like the band you will be happy if you are on the fence I think you will still be happy.

Good to hear. I'll be at the show Saturday at the Keswick. I read the setlist on setlist.fm and it seemed a little short, but if it really is 2 hours I'll be ok with that.

Thanks for the review, Garion.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

To be fair it could have been under as I don't know the exact time they started. I was guessing from the time the first band ended was around 8:40-8:45 and we were out of there by 11:10. No problem Scott. When I have more time I will elaborate more and I didn't want to give to much away for those upcoming shows this weekend.

Oh and Steve was on fire.

They started at 9:15. Nice seeing you there, Garion!

Awesome show tonight at the Keswick.

9.15 - 11.00

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    Awesome show tonight at the Keswick.

9.15 - 11.00
    Indeed. These guys were on fire, and having a blast on stage. What a fun show.

They are very impressive live, last years DVD was very good, but did not prepare me for how intense they are. I shouldn't be too surprised having seen most of the guys in their other bands. Casey is a really good singer, and seemingly very at ease. tonight was a blast!

^ Casey took very good command of the stage this time around. Having seen the very first concert in 2012 he was much more comfortable. I agree about his voice the more I listen to him the more I realize how good he is. It was very strange to read several comments on FB of how people did not like the vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    It was very strange to read several comments on FB of how people did not like the vocals.
    Casey's vocals - live and on the album - far outshine Neal's, IMO. Neal sings too much in this band. Casey is too good to give up the mic as often as he does. But I think Mike and Neal do a great job with harmonies, etc.

^I agree mostly with the exception of Cosmic Universe and A Place in Your World. I like the lead vocals Neal does in those songs.

Yeah, the harmonies by Mike and Neal were very, very good.