Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: A Chamber Rock Appreciation Thread

I ‘d recommend unigue Russian band “Caprice”. Their music is difficult to describe - neoclassical, gothic, ethereal, neofolk, “elf music”…
    Music based on acoustic sound (flute, clarinet, bassoon, violin, harp etc).

From their page - https://www.facebook.com/pg/capricem...=page_internal :

….Caprice began as a studio project in 1996, recording Mirror, 12 half progressive, half neo-classical songs. This album - a story about life, death, and after-death - employed an impressive cast of 12 musicians, including bass, drums, and many classical instruments.

In 2000 and 2002 Caprice recorded their second album, Songs of Innocence and Experience, based on William Blake’s poetry. It sounded different from Elvenmusic, and, like Blake’s famous book, portrayed two sides of human existence– the cheerful joys of innocence and the harsh knowledge of experience.

In October 2005 came the group's most important and longest-worked-at album: Tales of the Uninvited, or Elvenmusic, part 3. It is written entirely in the unique language of Laoris, one of the tongues spoken by the modern faeries in the parallel world. The language - given closer attention in Laoris and Gallery sections of this web site - was specially created for this album, with detailed writing references, vocabulary and grammar. The last part or Caprice's Elven Trilogy, this time the album bears no relation to the Tolkien universe, but portrays the realm of faerie and its denizens’ music.

Was Cro Magnon mentioned yet? Good writers...

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

My favorite is Julverne. The first two studio recordings are out of print on CD. I have everything else. A unique ensemble! Other bands I greatly appreciate are Univers Zero, Art Zoyd, Birdsongs Of the Mesazoic, Finnegan's Wake, Rational Diet, Far Corner, Avhak, Miriodor, Henry Cow, and Conventum . Conventum from Canada in the late 70's crossed over into Chamber Rock. First building on Folk sensibilities and transforming into dark sections of music that I can only identify as Chamber Rock.

Mezz Gacano - Froka

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    I have Archive One (1984-1986) and Archive Two (1985-1989) on CD. Picked those up when I visited Denver years ago. Cuneiform is a great track on the first cd. Any back story to that title and its obvious label friends?
    I just noticed this inquiry.

The label was going when MTG named a song that, which I didn't know about until copies of the finished album showed up at Wayside HQ for us to sell.

I remember vacillating between annoyance that they had appropriated the name and pride that they had done so....

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekanik Zain View Post
    I ‘d recommend unigue Russian band “Caprice”. Their music is difficult to describe - neoclassical, gothic, ethereal, neofolk, “elf music”…
    Music based on acoustic sound (flute, clarinet, bassoon, violin, harp etc).

From their page - https://www.facebook.com/pg/capricem...=page_internal :

….Caprice began as a studio project in 1996, recording Mirror, 12 half progressive, half neo-classical songs. This album - a story about life, death, and after-death - employed an impressive cast of 12 musicians, including bass, drums, and many classical instruments.

In 2000 and 2002 Caprice recorded their second album, Songs of Innocence and Experience, based on William Blake’s poetry. It sounded different from Elvenmusic, and, like Blake’s famous book, portrayed two sides of human existence– the cheerful joys of innocence and the harsh knowledge of experience.

In October 2005 came the group's most important and longest-worked-at album: Tales of the Uninvited, or Elvenmusic, part 3. It is written entirely in the unique language of Laoris, one of the tongues spoken by the modern faeries in the parallel world. The language - given closer attention in Laoris and Gallery sections of this web site - was specially created for this album, with detailed writing references, vocabulary and grammar. The last part or Caprice's Elven Trilogy, this time the album bears no relation to the Tolkien universe, but portrays the realm of faerie and its denizens’ music.
    Their first album Mirror fits this topic the best, very deep blooded neo classical music. It's far more eclectic than their later more folky albums.
    The musicians are pros from Russia's finest houses of classical music. I highly recommend this one.

Some of their folky stuff is also rather quiet strange (but cool). Like this version of a German (very bloody) fairy tale (sung in old fashioned German!) combined with a Russian white Magic incantation.

Last edited by TheH; 02-05-2017 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    NOW Ensemble

That was good! Never heard of them. Where are they from?

Sent fra min Moto G Play via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by aplodon View Post
    That was good! Never heard of them. Where are they from?

Sent fra min Moto G Play via Tapatalk
    They formed in New York City in the early 2000's.I first heard their music on WKCR,a non-commercial FM radio station in NYC.I saw them in concert in NYC last year.A memorable evening of music.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    They formed in New York City in the early 2000's.I first heard their music on WKCR,a non-commercial FM radio station in NYC.I saw them in concert in NYC last year.A memorable evening of music.
    I liked that too ! Steve Reich inspired me thinks.

https://nowensemble.bandcamp.com/album/awake-2

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yep, lovely stuff, I love when that happens.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

THE FIREBIRDS - interpreting music by Igor Stravinsky and other iconic composers !

http://firebirds.nu

Anders Banke - saxophones / clarinet
    Stefan Pasborg - drums / percussion
    Anders Filipsen - keyboards

IF it works outside Denmark
    Click on the button HØR, and listen to Aladdin Suite, The Market Place In Ispahan
    http://www.dr.dk/musik/titel/aladdin...an/2378009-1-4
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 05-19-2017 at 02:07 PM.

^^Not to be confused by the USA Fireworks (Ensemble) (on my version of The Rite Of Spring they were called Fireworks).

(sorry if this was posted before; normally I check first)

Gargantua

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Gargantua

Dig it! Love that guitar wigglin' around inside. Cool stuff. Thanks!

There was mention of this group far earlier in the thread, but I just ran across this NPR Tiny Desk Concert of Mother Falcon.
    Pretty enjoyable.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

From Sweden 1981

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    The Dear Hunter
    Typhoon
    The Family Crest
    Anathallo
    Sufjan Stevens
    Mother Falcon
    Jared Micah & Hats
    Do Make Say Think
    Emmanuel & the Fear
    Grammatics
    Judgement Day
    Margot & the Nuclear So & So's
    My Latest Novel
    The Polyphonic Spree
    I know this post was almost 6 years ago, but I did post a thing about these and a few other bands/artists in my blog a couple of years ago.

http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/...queorches.html