Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Results 151 to 168 of 168

Thread: A Chamber Rock Appreciation Thread

  1. #151
    I ‘d recommend unigue Russian band “Caprice”. Their music is difficult to describe - neoclassical, gothic, ethereal, neofolk, “elf music”…
    Music based on acoustic sound (flute, clarinet, bassoon, violin, harp etc).

    From their page - https://www.facebook.com/pg/capricem...=page_internal :

    ….Caprice began as a studio project in 1996, recording Mirror, 12 half progressive, half neo-classical songs. This album - a story about life, death, and after-death - employed an impressive cast of 12 musicians, including bass, drums, and many classical instruments.

    In 2000 and 2002 Caprice recorded their second album, Songs of Innocence and Experience, based on William Blake’s poetry. It sounded different from Elvenmusic, and, like Blake’s famous book, portrayed two sides of human existence– the cheerful joys of innocence and the harsh knowledge of experience.

    In October 2005 came the group's most important and longest-worked-at album: Tales of the Uninvited, or Elvenmusic, part 3. It is written entirely in the unique language of Laoris, one of the tongues spoken by the modern faeries in the parallel world. The language - given closer attention in Laoris and Gallery sections of this web site - was specially created for this album, with detailed writing references, vocabulary and grammar. The last part or Caprice's Elven Trilogy, this time the album bears no relation to the Tolkien universe, but portrays the realm of faerie and its denizens’ music.



  2. #152
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,160
    Was Cro Magnon mentioned yet? Good writers...

    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  3. #153
    My favorite is Julverne. The first two studio recordings are out of print on CD. I have everything else. A unique ensemble! Other bands I greatly appreciate are Univers Zero, Art Zoyd, Birdsongs Of the Mesazoic, Finnegan's Wake, Rational Diet, Far Corner, Avhak, Miriodor, Henry Cow, and Conventum . Conventum from Canada in the late 70's crossed over into Chamber Rock. First building on Folk sensibilities and transforming into dark sections of music that I can only identify as Chamber Rock.

  4. #154
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    4,399

  5. #155
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,032
    Mezz Gacano - Froka


  6. #156
    Member Steve F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fluffy Cloud
    Posts
    3,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    I have Archive One (1984-1986) and Archive Two (1985-1989) on CD. Picked those up when I visited Denver years ago. Cuneiform is a great track on the first cd. Any back story to that title and its obvious label friends?
    I just noticed this inquiry.

    The label was going when MTG named a song that, which I didn't know about until copies of the finished album showed up at Wayside HQ for us to sell.

    I remember vacillating between annoyance that they had appropriated the name and pride that they had done so....

    Steve F.

    www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

    "You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

    "Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

    please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

  7. #157
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekanik Zain View Post
    I ‘d recommend unigue Russian band “Caprice”. Their music is difficult to describe - neoclassical, gothic, ethereal, neofolk, “elf music”…
    Music based on acoustic sound (flute, clarinet, bassoon, violin, harp etc).

    From their page - https://www.facebook.com/pg/capricem...=page_internal :

    ….Caprice began as a studio project in 1996, recording Mirror, 12 half progressive, half neo-classical songs. This album - a story about life, death, and after-death - employed an impressive cast of 12 musicians, including bass, drums, and many classical instruments.

    In 2000 and 2002 Caprice recorded their second album, Songs of Innocence and Experience, based on William Blake’s poetry. It sounded different from Elvenmusic, and, like Blake’s famous book, portrayed two sides of human existence– the cheerful joys of innocence and the harsh knowledge of experience.

    In October 2005 came the group's most important and longest-worked-at album: Tales of the Uninvited, or Elvenmusic, part 3. It is written entirely in the unique language of Laoris, one of the tongues spoken by the modern faeries in the parallel world. The language - given closer attention in Laoris and Gallery sections of this web site - was specially created for this album, with detailed writing references, vocabulary and grammar. The last part or Caprice's Elven Trilogy, this time the album bears no relation to the Tolkien universe, but portrays the realm of faerie and its denizens’ music.
    Their first album Mirror fits this topic the best, very deep blooded neo classical music. It's far more eclectic than their later more folky albums.
    The musicians are pros from Russia's finest houses of classical music. I highly recommend this one.




    Some of their folky stuff is also rather quiet strange (but cool). Like this version of a German (very bloody) fairy tale (sung in old fashioned German!) combined with a Russian white Magic incantation.

    Last edited by TheH; 02-05-2017 at 12:59 PM.

  8. #158
    Member aplodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stavanger, Norway
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    NOW Ensemble

    That was good! Never heard of them. Where are they from?

    Sent fra min Moto G Play via Tapatalk

  9. #159
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    4,512
    Quote Originally Posted by aplodon View Post
    That was good! Never heard of them. Where are they from?

    Sent fra min Moto G Play via Tapatalk
    They formed in New York City in the early 2000's.I first heard their music on WKCR,a non-commercial FM radio station in NYC.I saw them in concert in NYC last year.A memorable evening of music.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

  10. #160

  11. #161
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    4,399
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    They formed in New York City in the early 2000's.I first heard their music on WKCR,a non-commercial FM radio station in NYC.I saw them in concert in NYC last year.A memorable evening of music.
    I liked that too ! Steve Reich inspired me thinks.

    https://nowensemble.bandcamp.com/album/awake-2

  12. #162
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,163
    Yep, lovely stuff, I love when that happens.
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  13. #163
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    4,399
    THE FIREBIRDS - interpreting music by Igor Stravinsky and other iconic composers !



    http://firebirds.nu

    Anders Banke - saxophones / clarinet
    Stefan Pasborg - drums / percussion
    Anders Filipsen - keyboards

    IF it works outside Denmark
    Click on the button HØR, and listen to Aladdin Suite, The Market Place In Ispahan
    http://www.dr.dk/musik/titel/aladdin...an/2378009-1-4
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 05-19-2017 at 02:07 PM.

  14. #164
    ^^Not to be confused by the USA Fireworks (Ensemble) (on my version of The Rite Of Spring they were called Fireworks).





    (sorry if this was posted before; normally I check first)

  15. #165
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    4,399
    Gargantua


  16. #166
    Member Phlakaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Gargantua

    Dig it! Love that guitar wigglin' around inside. Cool stuff. Thanks!

  17. #167
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    2,502
    There was mention of this group far earlier in the thread, but I just ran across this NPR Tiny Desk Concert of Mother Falcon.
    Pretty enjoyable.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

  18. #168
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    4,399

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •