Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A Chamber Rock Appreciation Thread

All around the world. On land and in the sea.

A Chamber Rock Appreciation Thread

Okay, so in addition to Krautrock and Canterbury, the passed few months, I've been getting into Chamber rock in a BIG way. Univers Zero, Present, Aranis, Art Zoyd, Rational Diet, Ut Gret, and now the new Cellar and Point are just blowing my mind.

So let's talk Chamber rock! Who are your favorites? What are some exciting new releases in chamber rock? Best labels for the genre?
    Check out Colouratura's sophomore release Unfamiliar Skies - out this spring on Melodic Revolution Records!

colouratura.bandcamp.com

You might consider Thinking Plague too?

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    You might consider Thinking Plague too?
    Love 'em. Are the chamber rock? Who knows!
    Check out Colouratura's sophomore release Unfamiliar Skies - out this spring on Melodic Revolution Records!

colouratura.bandcamp.com

Dun-Eros is quite good.Recommended.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Big fan of Univers Zero and Thinking Plague. Would you also include Henry Cow as chamber rock or do you think of RIO as a separate genre?
    Check out my one-man prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown

Check out Mutiny in Jonestown's latest album, "The Daemons Mock Me While I Sleep" at: https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.c...-while-i-sleep

chalkpie
    UZ always seems to be the quintessential chamber rock band for me - after that it gets a bit foggy on what the definition of chamber rock is? Usually avant garde leaning including some winds/brass or other acoustic instruments mixed with an electric rhythm section? I'm just thinking out loud here. Is Present chamber rock? Miriodor? The Cow? If they are, they all get my vote. Blast I guess could be considered CR - worth investigating for sure. Also Rich Woodson's Ellipsis - completely jaw dropping pieces from another galaxy altogether.

Lots of really amazing "proper" chamber music as well (Stravinsky's L'histoire du soldat, Schoenberg's Chamber Symphonies 1 and 2, Ligeti's Chamber Concerto, etc etc) - is that stuff allowed here?

As for the "is ____ chamber rock?" question - I think the definition of chamber rock should be loose for purposes of making this discussion as interesting, inclusive, and diverse as possible. Let's not get too hung up on genres - they exist only for a) historical context, b) discussion, and c) promotion.

Personally, I'd count Thinking Plague, Miriodor, and Henry Cow as having definite chamber rock tendencies, particularly for their use of classical instrumentation (bassoon, violin, etc) and 20th century classical harmonies and structures. In fact, I could see a decent argument for Western Culture being an example of chamber rock. Also, the classical definition of 'chamber music' is typically one player per part in a small ensemble (7-10 piece). I'd say that all of the groups mentioned so far fall under this criteria and have a definite 'rock' edge as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

Lots of really amazing "proper" chamber music as well (Stravinsky's L'histoire du soldat, Schoenberg's Chamber Symphonies 1 and 2, Ligeti's Chamber Concerto, etc etc) - is that stuff allowed here?
    Of course!

colouratura.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    That's the stuff that really captures my imagination. I could never really fall in love with any of the chamber rock bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    That's the stuff that really captures my imagination. I could never really fall in love with any of the chamber rock bands.
    Cellar and Point cover a Ligeti piece on their new record. Check it out. Might be your thing.

colouratura.bandcamp.com

I listen to Ligeti regularly on two box sets that I have. I'm also about to dive into the Schnittke and Bartok quartets on two CDs I recently ordered.

Would you class some of the early Zappa as Chamber Rock?

How about some Chamber Pop? Owen Pallet from He Poos Clouds

Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Far Corner
    U Totem
    Ahvak
    The first 2 albums of Fleshquartet perhaps - 2 viólins, 2 cellos, drumkit, vocal

Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post
    Would you class some of the early Zappa as Chamber Rock?
    Uncle Meat, definitely.

colouratura.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    * Univers Zero
    * Present
    * Aranis
    * Art Zoyd
    * Rational Diet
    * Ut Gret
    * Cellar and Point
    * The Books
    * Clogs
    * Build
    * Julverne
    * Penguin Cafe Orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Uncle Meat, definitely.
    I'd also include Orchestral Favorites, Sleep Dirt, and Studio Tan (though I'm not sure Greggary Peccary could make the cut...possibly an instrumental version without the narration would be fantastic chamber rock
    Check out my one-man prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown

Check out Mutiny in Jonestown's latest album, "The Daemons Mock Me While I Sleep" at: https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.c...-while-i-sleep

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Would you also include Henry Cow as chamber rock or do you think of RIO as a separate genre?
    RIO was a genre, yes - but that's not in any way equivalent to "style". RIO encompasses everything between folk-based projects through pure modern composition, "song-form" units with the obvious twist, improv ensembles, jazz veerings or metal leanings, large-scale works or microditties, acoustic or electric or electroacoustic or electronic or analog or digital or all of this. Very peculiar was the input of "chamber-zeuhl" artists like Art Zoyd, UZero (obviously), Dün and Vortex' Les Cycles de Thanatos.

Mothers of Invention definitely ventured into "proto-chamberrock" with the Uncle Weeny Flesh troika, and Zappa himself revisited on numerous occasions. Henry Cow too delivered obvious contributions ("Amygdala", "Solemn Music", "Ruins", much of Western Culture). The defining criteria wasn't necessarily the instrumentation itself, but the ensemble-like orchestration of voicings in a mostly through-composed scheme or programme. Of more "conventional" progressive bands (well, relatively speaking), Curved Air, Gentle Giant, Gryphon, Maneige, The Enid and modern acts like After Crying, Makajodama or even Änglagård had stints with this approach. Some essentially post-rock groups have also tried their hand, like Rachel's and Mono, and more recently some noise/maximalminimalists such as Zs. Other, more squarely RIO chamber rock:

Interference Sardines (Quebec)
    Debile Menthol (Switzerland)
    Krakatoa (US)
    Simon Steensland (Sweden)
    Rouge Ciel (Quebec)
    DAAU (Belgium)
    Zypressen (Japan)
    Lacrymosa (Japan)
    Tipographica (Japan)
    Hoppy Kamiyama (Japan)
    Sotos (France)
    Zaar (France)
    Gatto Marte (Italy)
    Rational Diet (and their two more recent offsprings) (Belarus)
    Pikapika Teart (Siberia/Russia)
    Decibel (Mexico)
    Nazca (Mexico)
    Culto sin Nombre (Mexico)

...and many, many more.

One of the first true chamber-rock outings, and not exactly incidentally one of the eeriest records ever made:

A highly impressive, yet often ignored slice of quite early yet most unusual chamber-rock:
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 09-21-2014 at 05:15 PM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Chamber and rock don't blend.

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    Chamber and rock don't blend.
    I think it can work. And I've thought of some pieces I like since this thread was started. The first half of Henry Cow's Unrest, Dave Kerman's Abandonship and Frogg Cafe's Bateless Edge have some great pieces. I would include Gentle Giant's So Sincere, and Knots as well. And how about Queen Of All Ears by The Lounge Lizards?

Last edited by Reid; 09-21-2014 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    I'd also include Orchestral Favorites, Sleep Dirt, and Studio Tan (though I'm not sure Greggary Peccary could make the cut...possibly an instrumental version without the narration would be fantastic chamber rock
    Check out the version on Wazoo.

http://www.amazon.com/Wazoo-Frank-Za...ds=wazoo+zappa

colouratura.bandcamp.com

chalkpie
    Ceux du Dehors might be my favorite Chamber rock album, well at least up there with my favorite FZ albums. Doesn't get much better than that album. A true masterwork in both composition and performance.

Gryphon is pre-chamber rock! :-)
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    And how about Queen Of All Ears by The Lounge Lizards?
    VERY underrated album, probably their finest next to the great debut.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    VERY underrated album, probably their finest next to the great debut.
    Yeah! I had forgotten all about it, but I listened to it a lot when I first bought a copy 15 years ago.
    I think it's pretty great!

Doesn't get better than UZ imo, but Present, Art Zoyd & Cro Magnon are also quite good.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone