Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your 10 Fave non-English lyric prog albums

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    I have 4 albums in Portugese - which is what I am, though I never learned the language. Back when my Grandparents came from the Azore's to the US, you didn't teach your children the mother tongue but set about "American-izing" yourself by learning English and even changing your name to get a better job. My Grandfather went from Constantine Francisco Furtata to Stanley Francis Terry to get work. He eventually opened his own business so his "Un-American" name wouldn't have mattered but they never changed it back. Anyway, listening to Portugese prog lyrics are cool for me as it reminds me of my Grandparent's who still spoke it around the house
    I know a tiny bit of Portugese, but not quite enough to carry on a conversation. What little I do know is because I have a lot of experience playing music with Brasilianos (and I still don't know why we North Americans spell Brasil with a "z," but I digress). I think it's a beautiful language that sounds like some sort of a cross between Italian, Spanish and French. My dad and I took a vacation in Rio de Janeiro back in the late '70s; he was in the Navy during World War II and was stationed in Recife, Brasil for two years, so he can speak Portugese to some extent. That was when I discovered that Brazilians have some weird thing with Portugese people. There was a guy from Portugal staying at our hotel and the locals were acting like they couldn't understand him when he spoke. It'd be like us Americans pretending not to understand somebody from England. Okay, I know about the "two countries divided by a common language" thing, but c'mon! I thought it was rather bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    That was when I discovered that Brazilians have some weird thing with Portugese people. There was a guy from Portugal staying at our hotel and the locals were acting like they couldn't understand him when he spoke. It'd be like us Americans pretending not to understand somebody from England. Okay, I know about the "two countries divided by a common language" thing, but c'mon! I thought it was rather bizarre.
    Interesting, I've never heard that before. Is there modern day animosity between the Brazilians and Portuguese? Something hanging around from when Brazil was a colony or something?
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Bubu - Anabelas. What a stunning record.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Interesting, I've never heard that before. Is there modern day animosity between the Brazilians and Portuguese? Something hanging around from when Brazil was a colony or something?
    Apparently, though I don't really know why. Every Christmas Eve, I go to a party that's about 70% Brazilians; maybe I'll ask around this year if I get up the courage.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Apparently, though I don't really know why. Every Christmas Eve, I go to a party that's about 70% Brazilians; maybe I'll ask around this year if I get up the courage.
    If you do, maybe you can also ask if the Brazilian animosity includes all Portuguese or just those from the mainland. My ancestors are from the Azore Islands and I wonder if Brazilian's consider us Portuguese or just another colony
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Libra-Musica e Parole
    RDM-Contaminazione
    Banco-Banco Del Mutuo Succorso
    Banco-Darwin!
    Latte e Miele-Papillon
    Le Orme-Collage
    Le Orme-Felona e Sorona
    Triade-La Storia di Sabazio
    Banco-Io Sono Nato Libero
    Le Orme-L'uomo di Pezza
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Magma - MDK
    Eskaton - 4 Visions
    Archaia - s/t
    Vezhlivy Otkaz - Geese & Swans
    Pikapika Teart - Moonberry
    Uz Jsme Doma - Caves
    PFM - Per Un Amico
    Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
    Picchio Dal Pozzo -Abbiamo Tuttii Suoi Problomi
    Area - Arbeit Macht Frei
    Koenjihyakkei - Angherr Shisspa
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    You can find a nice English translation of Haikara's lyrics by prog fan Heikki Kippola here: http://www.reocities.com/rainforest/...s/haikara.html

As for Geafar's three Finnish tracks, titles are enough to give you the gist of "Kun menet tarpeeksi kauas tulevaisuuteen, huomaat olevasi menneisyydessä" (When you go far enough into the future, you'll find yourself in the past) and "Laulu surullisesta pilvestä" (A song about a sad cloud). The title track is a bit more complex... but this is probably a wrong thread to talk about that.

As for favourite prog albums with non-English lyrics, I nominate Yes: Close to the Edge (Out Of Jon Anderson's Arse, Lancashire dialect).
    thanks for the link
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptrick View Post
    Corte Dei Miracoli-s/t
    Ohhhh, good choice!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by helicase View Post
    Síntesis - En buscando de una nueva flor (Spanish)
    What a wonderful album. But I fear we may be the only two people who know that. Fans of Celeste - Principe and Bacamarte - Depois would love it.

PFM's first 3
    Anglagard Hybris
    Magma Live Hhai
    Celeste s/t
    Pollen-s/t
    Harmonium-Cinquieme Saison
    Locanda Delle Fate
    Bubu-Anabelis