Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prog in the morning

Prog in the morning

Do you like to listen to prog in the morning?

If so, when do you start to listen to it?

Are there any bands which you particularly appreciate early in the day?

A (hopefully worth reading) story about listening to prog in the morning:

Back in college, on an early Sunday morning, i was playing Lizard on the house stereo--i used to play Lizard A LOT in those days (i think the copious cannabis consumption had something to do with it ). Anyway, the landlord comes over to collect the rent--while the ending section of Cirkus is crashing away in the background--and he says: "Isn't that a little heavy for a Sunday morning?" (it's always stuck with me for some reason.)
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Yeah that's right, how can we forget. Sundays are supposed to be reserved for Simon and Garfunkel and James Taylor.

Smokes, coffee, and Carol Ann's since around 7 am on my trusty Sennheisers, which is common for me as my wife is a nurse who is up at 5 am when working, and I'm an early riser in any case

So far it's been

Fireballet - Night on Bald Mountain
    Fireballet - 2 /2
    Osanna - Tempo DVD rip
    Yes - Talk
    Yes - Heaven and Earth

Morning is valued listening time with a nice quiet house, and our puppies still sleepy

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Someone once said cirrus bay is good prog for the morning. Funny, as I write a lot in the morning.

I always liked Genesis in the morning when my ears are fresh. (Not ATTW3 though, as it has a night feel)

Other good morning prog for me:

Advent, Mr. Sirius, Ere G, early PFM, Yes, some Glass Hammer, some Gentle Giant, and King Crimson's 'Islands'.

Definitely NOT morning music that I love would include 'Thinking Plague', 'Anglagard', and KC's 'The Power to Believe'.

I listen to prog on the car ride to my office and in my office all day long and then on the car ride home. Bands? Depends on what is up next on my ipod but it could be anything from VdGG to Camel to Panic Room to Zappa to District 97 to Flower Kings to Renaissance to Rundgren to Chicago to well, anything thats on my ipod. I am fortunate in that I teach at a university and so I can do what I want in my office. I'll shut off the music if someone stops by to see me but my office is the last one at the end of a hallway so I only get visits from confused students! And sometimes I'll keep the music on to confuse them more!

I work from home so music is on from the time I start (around 8am) throughout the day...I don't have any specific morning bands as I'm a binge listener I have a 5 CD carousel player so whatever I'm into, I play over and over all day. For the past couple weeks it's been the new Queen '74 Rainbow disc 1 and the remastered Led Zep 1 with bonus Live in Paris 1969 disc. Before that I spent a few weeks cycling between IQ's Dark Matter, the 2CD reissue of Twelfth Night's Live and Let Live, and Thick as a Brick 2.
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

For tomorrow (Sunday) morning's listening, I have the following lined up:

Amon Düül - Phallus Dei
    Cathedral - Stained Glass Stories
    Focus - Hamburger Concerto
    Caravan - The Show Of Our Lives: Live At The BBC 1968-1975

... and depending on how much time I have:

Ange - Tome VI
    Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All

Should be a good day.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    On the weekends, theoretically I would listen to prog in the morning if I wasn't listening to the white noise machine and examining the inside of my eyelids.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 09-21-2014 at 01:03 AM. Reason: me type crappy

Suspended
    I don't often listen to music seriously in the morning, except maybe on weekends.

Today it's Sunday, it's a wet spring day and I'm watching the rain while listening to Joni Mitchell - Song to a Seagull. Seems highly appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Smokes, coffee, and Carol Ann's since around 7 am on my trusty Sennheisers, which is common for me as my wife is a nurse who is up at 5 am when working, and I'm an early riser in any case

So far it's been

Fireballet - Night on Bald Mountain
    Fireballet - 2 /2
    Osanna - Tempo DVD rip
    Yes - Talk
    Yes - Heaven and Earth

Morning is valued listening time with a nice quiet house, and our puppies still sleepy

BG
    what are Carol Ann's?

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    what are Carol Ann's?
    An Irish Cream Liquor - I use it instead of milk or cream in my coffee on the weekends - gets the party started and a nice treat!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    An Irish Cream Liquor - I use it instead of milk or cream in my coffee on the weekends - gets the party started and a nice treat!

BG
    Nice.It looks you are enjoying the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    For tomorrow (Sunday) morning's listening, I have the following lined up:

Amon Düül - Phallus Dei
    Cathedral - Stained Glass Stories
    Focus - Hamburger Concerto
    Caravan - The Show Of Our Lives: Live At The BBC 1968-1975

... and depending on how much time I have:

Ange - Tome VI
    Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All

Should be a good day.
    Phallus Dei is good for wake up

Shub-Niggurath's Les Morts Vont Vite is the only morning prog allowed in my home.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I like to listen to Cardiacs with my coffee.

Anthony Phillips is my fave Sunday morning routine

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Shub-Niggurath's Les Morts Vont Vite is the only morning prog allowed in my home.
    Now that's what I call a breakfast of champions
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

FM - Black Noise
    Harnakis - Numb Eyes

Were up this AM

BG

I look forward to a quiet morning with coffee and music. I get to indulge thusly about twice a week. This morning it was a large double/double from Tim Horton's and some Osanna and Maneige.

The Yes Album always has a nice 'drop-yer-cocks-and-grab-yer-socks' sort of start the day feel to it.

Any track from Terje Rypdal: After the rain or Odyssey

Somehow my state is mostly like this when I bump out of bed at 06:45 to get ready for wonderful work, espec at -17* with horizontal snow in mid-January:

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

on weekdays, no music until I get in the car (20 minutes commute)

on w-e, Saturdays are often devoted to TV podcasts (doculmentaries, maainly) and sundays, music from the time I get up until noontime.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I start my day off with a healthy dose of Roine Stolt. Pretty much every day.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I start my day off with a healthy dose of Roine Stolt. Pretty much every day.
    That sounds better than vitamins!

Start with a Turbo Truffle, throw a FK disc on... works for me.