Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pain of Salvation North American Tour

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    Yes, that was me.
    I was standing right behind you. In fact your back is in one of my photos!

Pain of Salvation.jpg
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 09-22-2014 at 10:07 AM.

Fantastic show in Chicago last night! No set spoilers, but I would tend to think that JustEric is going to be a very happy man at his show!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Fantastic show in Chicago last night! No set spoilers, but I would tend to think that JustEric is going to be a very happy man at his show!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Planning on seeing them is Seattle on Wednesday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    see you there!
    I'll let you know what shirt I plan to wear, most likely uneXpect, but Gojira and Baroness are still in the running.

I'm so jealous! I want to see them again!

Out standing in my field trespass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Because I wanted to dig out their CDs and listen to them before Sunday night I checked out the setlist on setlist.fm . I want to hear which of the songs are from the albums I own (the first three and that DVD/CD Movie theme package they put out). I've heard stuff from Scarsick and Be also. Think I'll just be happy to see them. "One Hour by the Concrete Lake" was a staple for me back in the day. Can't really believe I'm going to see them after all these years (no jinx please).

Looks like you folks in Chicago were treated to a special cover song. Pretty damn cool...

T-minus 2 days and counting!!!

Very excited for this show and even more so after hearing about the nature of the set list!

I fly Sunday morning and depending on time, will plan to spend the afternoon at Amoeba on Sunset. Not much budget for CD purchases, but I love browsing!

Shirt still TBD. Did laundry last night so I have the full collection available to choose from.

There were some nice PoS shirts for purchase, and the Van Gough shirts were very cool too. I only bought a PoS shirt...but kinda regretting not making the Van Gough purchase too.

I will definitely come home with a shirt or two.

well??

They did play "She", so that had my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    There were some nice PoS shirts for purchase, and the Van Gough shirts were very cool too. I only bought a PoS shirt...but kinda regretting not making the Van Gough purchase too.
    http://vangough.bandcamp.com/merch

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Thanks! Shipping to Canada is totally reasonable as well.

What a fantastic show!

PoS live just plain kicks ass. Super tight, polished band, playing amazingly complex and intelligent rock music. I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the show with the exception of the completely dead audience.

VanGough and PoS are high energy, borderline metal bands, that unfortunately played in front of an aging audience glued to their seats, with nary a head nod. This show would have been 10 times better at a packed club, standing room only, with a small pit in the center. Not only does this create immense energy from the audience for the artists to respond to, but it also fills the room with energy.

There were a handful, maybe 10 or less, fans that stood and cheered the entire set, but that was by far the exception rather than the rule.

Regardless, the show was stellar and a big thank you to Papa Jim for organizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    What a fantastic show!

PoS live just plain kicks ass. Super tight, polished band, playing amazingly complex and intelligent rock music. I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the show with the exception of the completely dead audience.

VanGough and PoS are high energy, borderline metal bands, that unfortunately played in front of an aging audience glued to their seats, with nary a head nod. This show would have been 10 times better at a packed club, standing room only, with a small pit in the center. Not only does this create immense energy from the audience for the artists to respond to, but it also fills the room with energy.

There were a handful, maybe 10 or less, fans that stood and cheered the entire set, but that was by far the exception rather than the rule.

Regardless, the show was stellar and a big thank you to Papa Jim for organizing.
    That's the reason why I decided not to attend any of these shows. I almost pulled the trigger on buying plane tickets to attend the one in New Jersey in one of those proghouse shows or whatever they are called, but didn't in the end because if there's something I really hate is going to a rock show (in this case a prog-metal show) and see an audience sitting down (or standing) the whole time and not into it. Another thing was this tour booking seemed weird to me and was announced too close to the date it started. I mean, I checked the websites of the places where the band was going to play and most of them looked unappealing to me, especially the one in Las Vegas which was the other place I considered buying tickets to attend. It kinda looked like a dump to me. It's just sad this world class band (imo) is playing in such places in the U.S., they deserve better. Last night I read a status the band posted on FB about their upcoming Mexico gig and they were wondering where are all those Mexican fans that repeatedly ask them come to Mexico and, looking at the (lack of) ticket sales, apparently, it looks like they won't show up (this is typical). I think whoever booked this tour didn't do it well. To me there was a lack of proper promotion to it. Hopefully, they'll do better next time.
    Last edited by Gerardo; 09-30-2014 at 04:47 PM.

I had a hell of a time getting information for the Toronto show. I had a venue (that I had never heard of) from the tour poster that a friend posted on FB. A Google search found nothing. The PoS website said nothing. They weren't listed on the venue's site, or on Ticketmaster. I finally called the venue and the guy there was able to give me the information and told me how to buy the tickets...which was also not easy. Go to the promoter's FB page, scroll down until I found the PoS announcement, click on that and go to another FB page, click on that to finally get to the ticketing site, order tickets.

No wonder there were probably less than 200 people there. Nobody could find the show! When we did get to the show, the band was awesome. The venue was terrible. The audience was lit up better than the band and the sound was muffled no matter where you stood. So, I agree with you Gerardo, not very good planning for such an excellent band. I give them credit for doing this tour...it's hard to believe that they made any money from it.

OTOH, the audience was totally into it! Singing, head bobbing, and having a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
    That's the reason why I decided not to attend any of these shows. I almost pulled the trigger on buying plane tickets to attend the one in New Jersey in one of those proghouse shows or whatever they are called, but didn't in the end because if there's something I really hate is going to a rock show (in this case a prog-metal show) and see an audience sitting down (or standing) the whole time and not into it. Another thing was this tour booking seemed weird to me and was announced too close to the date it started. I mean, I checked the websites of the places where the band was going to play and most of them looked unappealing to me, especially the one in Las Vegas which was the other place I considered buying tickets to attend. It kinda looked like a dump to me. It's just sad this world class band (imo) is playing in such places in the U.S., they deserve better. Last night I read a status the band posted on FB about their upcoming Mexico gig and they were wondering where are all those Mexican fans that repeatedly ask them come to Mexico and, looking at the (lack of) ticket sales, apparently, it looks like they won't show up (this is typical). I think whoever booked this tour didn't do it well. To me there was a lack of proper promotion to it. Hopefully, they'll do better next time.
    They'd be better served to focus on Metal promoters and clubs. Larger and younger audiences, better opening and headlining acts, more venues, more opportunities for publicity, and more.

They'd be better served to focus on Metal promoters and clubs. Larger and younger audiences, better opening and headlining acts, more venues, more opportunities for publicity, and more.
    I agree and it will sound offensive to many people here, but get away from the prog crowd if they really want the success they really deserve; or just stick to Europe, Japan and South America and forget about the U.S. completely. The fans here, judging by my experience (I'm an avid concert-goer), just don't go out to the shows.

I agree and it will sound offensive to many people here, but get away from the prog crowd if they really want the success they really deserve; or just stick to Europe, Japan and South America and forget about the U.S. completely. The fans here, judging by my experience (I'm an avid concert-goer), just don't go out to the shows.
    Five years ago my Prog to Metal show attendance ratio was probably 60-40 in favor of Prog. Nowadays, it's 90-10 in favor of Metal and mostly due to the vibrant and active scene. Metal shows are typically packed with enthusiastic and energetic young people. The whole business seems to be run very well with well publicized shows, well thought out line-ups, and attention paid to underground, obscure, and young bands. Overall a great scene.

Bands that are struggling in the Prog genre could easily make this cross-over as Metal fans gobble up Prog. I've made just such a suggestion in other threads with bands complaining about the difficulties touring and attracting an audience. Those bands would be better served opening for Enlsaved, Opeth, Shining, etc. and building a new fan base as opposed to squeezing the last few dollars from the old one.

Five years ago my Prog to Metal show attendance ratio was probably 60-40 in favor of Prog. Nowadays, it's 90-10 in favor of Metal and mostly due to the vibrant and active scene. Metal shows are typically packed with enthusiastic and energetic young people. The whole business seems to be run very well with well publicized shows, well thought out line-ups, and attention paid to underground, obscure, and young bands. Overall a great scene.

Bands that are struggling in the Prog genre could easily make this cross-over as Metal fans gobble up Prog. I've made just such a suggestion in other threads with bands complaining about the difficulties touring and attracting an audience. Those bands would be better served opening for Enlsaved, Opeth, Shining, etc. and building a new fan base as opposed to squeezing the last few dollars from the old one.
    Agreed.

That's the reason why I decided not to attend any of these shows. I almost pulled the trigger on buying plane tickets to attend the one in New Jersey in one of those proghouse shows or whatever they are called, but didn't in the end because if there's something I really hate is going to a rock show (in this case a prog-metal show) and see an audience sitting down (or standing) the whole time and not into it. .
    I am one of those more and more rare old people who still like to stand at shows. My knees both have arthritis in them and sometimes kill me by the end of the night, but I still like to stand, especially if it is a metal / hard rock or blues artist.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am one of those more and more rare old people who still like to stand at shows. My knees both have arthritis in them and sometimes kill me by the end of the night, but I still like to stand, especially if it is a metal / hard rock or blues artist.
    That being said, I can't stand for hours and hours on end like I used too. My ideal situation is to have a seat / place to sit until the show starts, but then stand through the show.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I would never complain about seats, though admittedly it was weird to see a metal band with a full complement of chairs.

A wonderful weird mind you. I thanked Jesus, Allah, Yahweh, and Ahuramazda that seats were provided after the show.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    That being said, I can't stand for hours and hours on end like I used too. My ideal situation is to have a seat / place to sit until the show starts, but then stand through the show.
    Oh, I agree with you. The ideal situation is to have a seat. I'm about to turn 43 and have bad knees (my left knee especially). But I'm talking about the sedate aspect of the prog audience. To me it's sad that a prog rock band who emphasizes in their rock aspect in their live playing has to play to an audience who thinks they are at an opera instead of a rock show. I've been to way too many of these type of shows and the band are playing their asses off and the audience looks as if they don't care or are not there at all. I mean, it's prog, but is also a *rock* show you know. I decided not to pull the trigger on the New Jersey show (did anyone here go?) because being a show for a prog crowd, I decided: 1) it is not going to be well attended; 2) it will feel as a funeral instead of a rock concert. I would have liked to see Pain of Salvation at that Dream Theater Prog Nation tour they were supposed to have been a part of, now that was a great rock audience! Instead of PoS, I saw Bigelf with Dream Theater at the Amway Center in Orlando, FL. Like JustEric said, that's the kind of touring package they should be a part of instead of playing to 50 people in some of those dumps.

Don't get me wrong, I am ever grateful for Papa Jim and all he does and has done for live Prog in California. Because of him I've seen great CalProg lineups and one offs as well, including Spiraling at a small club in Fullerton with my college age daughter and a few of her roommates - they loved it!