Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: (Prog) Bands that got it together on the 2nd album!

Santana - Abraxas
    Camel - Mirage
    Harmonium -Si on a sit besoin D'une cinquiene saison
    The Magnificent Moodies - Days of future passed (though debut album hardly full blown prog!)

Quote Originally Posted by snowsnow View Post
    Santana - Abraxas
    the debut is solid, but you are right, Abraxas is way better
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

War (w/o Burdon) - All Day Music is much better and more progressive than the s/t
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Nektar - Tab in the Ocean (yeah, I'll get killed for saying this, but Journey to the Centre of the Eye, while interesting, doesn't do much for me apart for Dream Nebular)

Mothers of Invention - maybe not prog, but the music on Absolutely Free is quite a bit more sophisticated than that of Freak Out

IQ - if you count 7 Stories Into 8 as their first, Tales is so so so much better

Nathan Mahl- The Clever Use Of Shadows

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by snowsnow View Post
    The Magnificent Moodies - Days of future passed (though debut album hardly full blown prog!)
    A prime candidate for "best sophomore album".

Totally agree with virtually every album cited of which I've heard. While I certainly enjoy both of my examples debuts, they both (imho) really upped their game for their sophomore efforts, so I'll go with:

King's X- Gretchen Goes to Nebraska over Out of the Silent Planet (though Goldilox is one of my faves of theirs) &
    District 97- Trouble With Machines over Hybrid Child (the band are in fine form on the debut, I simply favor the songs on TWM).
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

You know, I totally forgot Days of Future Passed was a 2nd album.

Gong- Camembert Electrique
    Radiohead-The Bends
    Strawbs- From the Witchwood (if Dragonfly the first album and A & C is live)

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    QUEEN

The début their best album, IMHO... not a filler in it... II is also quite good, but they never got better than those first two.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Renaissance (assuming you count "Ashes are Burning" as the second album).
    their second is Illusion (could've been better).... and Prologue is better than Ashes or anything that comes after.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    agreed. Tarkus was, is, and always will be a lackluster messy disappointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I expected that... I honestly don't count that first album. To me it was a producer project of Jonathon King's.

It would've been had the songwriting not theirs, or there had been exterior songwriters.

Gotta stop this "excusing the gods" for that first misstep, because it suits better revisionism

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    War (w/o Burdon) - All Day Music is much better and more progressive than the s/t
    mmmhhh!!!!....
    I find both eras to be a single continuum... It wouldn't occur to me to think of both parts as something else than a single entity.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Fair to Midland. The Carbon Copy Silver Lining, I honestly have listened to less than 5 times, but inter.funda.stifle is a modern classic.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Mothers of Invention - maybe not prog, but the music on Absolutely Free is quite a bit more sophisticated than that of Freak Out
    ^this...I still spin Absolutely Free regularly while the debut collects dust
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Atila - Intencion

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Soft Machine
    First is my favorite.

Voice - Capability Brown
    Shine on Brightly - Procol Harum
    Second Album - Curved Air
    Polite Force - Egg
    Abstract Truth - Silver Trees
    Raw Material - Time Is
    Second Hand - Death May Be Your Santa Claus
    Gryphon - Midniight Mushrumps

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Bulldozer View Post
    Raw Material - Time Is
    Second Hand - Death May Be Your Santa Claus
    ditto. Also High Tide-s/t. Sea Shanties was nice, but absolutely knocked it out of the park on the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Bulldozer View Post
    Gryphon - Midniight Mushrumps
    I semi-agree with this. I do think it's a much better album than the debut but at the same time I have a real soft spot for that one, it has such a charm to it. And it has "The Unquiet Grave", which I love.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Mothers of Invention - maybe not prog
    How on earth were MoI "maybe not prog"? Why are Supersister singing - in December 1969, at the top of their goofy voices - that "[...] sometimes we even are progressive, and we listen with attention to the Mothers of Invention"? Why was the contemporary progressive rock media constantly writing on Zappa/MoI, and the scene so endlessly taken by the phenomenon of Z/MoI? Why were so many acts of a proportionally MUCH more radical musical nature back then than any InsideOut-artist nowadays (Knifeworld notwithstanding) influenced by MoI? When MoI's music already from December '66 ventured far beyond what 99% of UK groups were doing many years down the line, harmonically/rhythmically/structurally/dynamically/instrumentally - then how were MoI "maybe not prog"?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by hightea View Post
    Gong- Camembert Electrique
    Strawbs- From the Witchwood (if Dragonfly the first album and A & C is live)
    Camembert was technically the debut Gong album, seeing how Magick Brother, Mystic Sister initially was presented as a Allen/Smyth release. Witchwood was the fourth Strawbs album, counting A & C. Dragonfly was their second one.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    Nathan Mahl- The Clever Use Of Shadows
    I very recently found Parallell Eccentricities on vinyl, and that's actually a surprisingly full-blown progressive release for 1983. Although Clever Use was way *better*.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    How on earth were MoI "maybe not prog"? Why are Supersister singing - in December 1969, at the top of their goofy voices - that "[...] sometimes we even are progressive, and we listen with attention to the Mothers of Invention"? Why was the contemporary progressive rock media constantly writing on Zappa/MoI, and the scene so endlessly taken by the phenomenon of Z/MoI? Why were so many acts of a proportionally MUCH more radical musical nature back then than any InsideOut-artist nowadays (Knifeworld notwithstanding) influenced by MoI? When MoI's music already from December '66 ventured far beyond what 99% of UK groups were doing many years down the line, harmonically/rhythmically/structurally/dynamically/instrumentally - then how were MoI "maybe not prog"?
    I think (since the Neo revisionism of the 80s) there have come to be an unmovable chunk of people who think Prog is only 1. mostly British and 2. only Symph

so that is why Zappa, a true pioneer of Prog, is not deemed worthy of being a Progressive Rock artist.
    Keep reading this forum and you'll keep running into that revisionist chunk of people... yeah, I know it is sad, but true

Suspended
    Amazing how it's possible for posts to sound shrill, even when they are read back as text.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Amazing how it's possible for posts to sound shrill, even when they are read back as text.
    indeed it is!
    Zappa was indeed one of the few pioneers of Progressive Rock music way before Yes and Genesis

I honestly can't think of a single prog band where I prefer the 2nd album to either the debut or some later album.

Audience - Friend's Friend Friend
    Gravy Train - Ballad Of A Peaceful Man
    Home - Home
    Uriah Heep - Salisbury
    Spooky Tooth - Spooky Two

BTW - these were all bands that were considered progressive at the time.