Thread: PROG performs Close to the Edge AND Selling England by the Pound- Chicago 9/25

PROG performs Close to the Edge AND Selling England by the Pound- Chicago 9/25

So, this band Progeezer has been ranting about for several years is performing all of CTTE and SEBTP at Reggie's in Chicago on Thursday 9/25. the band is called PROG and specialize in doing Yes, Rush, Genesis and Jethro Tull. Eager to see them finally but am curious to know if they are playing this anywhere else in the Midwest. Geezer, you know the boys! What can you find out?

Classic Albums performed live on stage: Thurs Sep 25 2014

PROG was formed in 1999 by Michael BB, Steve Phipps, Scott Eagle and original bassist David Lloyd. The current bassist/guitarist Gordon Ranney joined the band ten years ago. Guitarist Joe Allard joined the band 8 years ago. So, here is their story:

This unit is the ONLY band in the world that plays the music of Genesis, Rush, YES AND Jethro Tull, exclusively. Many bands play the music of one of these groups. Some bands play three of the groups, but with lots of other material. But, NO other group exists that does what they do!

PROG can be found online at www.prog-music.info or on FaceBook at Prog the Band, or on ReverbNation. Steve, Scott, Gordon, Joe and Michael BB thank you for your support of Live PROG!

(Sorry, couldn't get the posters to show up.)
    “We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles

I don't see Gordon or Joe (the 2 guys I know the best) that frequently, so can't help you. Sorry.

However, I have this perhaps hair-brained theory based on a conversation I had with Jonathan Schang of D97 a while ago. He had heard about PROG, and expressed an interest in getting a gig in Madison w/PROG opening.

Dale, check with your Reggie's buddy to see if D97/Jonathan had anything to do with this gig (which, I would guess, is a one off) so they could see & hear them. Maybe some kind of reciprocal thing was worked out for D97 here in Madtown but is awaiting scheduling and confirmation before it's announced. That would be sweeeeet!

Or the preceding is just the meandering babble of a foolish old man.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Thanks Geeze. I emailed Jonathan about the gig and also wrote to PROG. You CAN'T put that much work into something like this and have it be a one off!!!! :-)
    “We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles

Argh. Same night as my KC tickets. Argh.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Yeah- I've been offered a FREE KC ticket for THAT night so this is a tough call but I have it from a good source that this is THE show to see. (NOT to mean that KC is NOT worth seeing or that PROG is better but just that this is really quite a good show and quite possibly a one-off, AND for a mere friggin' EIGHT dollars!)

Bring 'em back for Ethelfest!?!? Harding House?!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Don't know how often they get down to Chicago. I believe this may be the first time. We had considered them for Ethelfest a while back. Maybe a chance to see them in Milwaukee or Madison if not Chicago again sometime?

This IS their 1st Chicago gig. All of the members have other musical projects going on (one member is in 5 other bands!) so they really haven't played anywhere much except WI.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

If you already have a ticket to see Allan Holdsworth (playing next door in the rock room), you get free admission.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I don't see Gordon or Joe (the 2 guys I know the best) that frequently, so can't help you. Sorry.
    However, I have this perhaps hair-brained theory based on a conversation I had with Jonathan Schang of D97 a while ago. He had heard about PROG, and expressed an interest in getting a gig in Madison w/PROG opening. Dale, check with your Reggie's buddy to see if D97/Jonathan had anything to do with this gig (which, I would guess, is a one off) so they could see & hear them. Maybe some kind of reciprocal thing was worked out for D97 here in Madtown but is awaiting scheduling and confirmation before it's announced. That would be sweeeeet! Or the preceding is just the meandering babble of a foolish old man.
    Robbie the owner of Reggies watched most of both sets. He said Kevin P convinced them to come to Chicago, so thank you Kevin. Geeze, what a terrific band. You can see what experienced musicians who have played together for 15 years can do on a stage. There were about 50 people, KC in town probably was one factor, hopefully the band will get back to Chicago soon.

yes, I recall hearing about them many years ago on the Midwestprog email list. And I know my friend John Costello was talking about them at the Yes show in Madison, WI back in July.

I'd certainly love to see them if they played a gig in the Twin Cities.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Bring 'em back for Ethelfest!?!? Harding House?!
    That's not really our thing at Harding House.
    We are hosting Fanfare (ELP tribute) on October 11th (with Sonus Umbra and Steafan Hanvey), but we normally book original bands. Particularly, local progressive bands that need exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Poston View Post
    We are hosting Fanfare (ELP tribute) on October 11th (with Sonus Umbra and Steafan Hanvey)
    Really? I had not heard of this show! Is there any more info, a poster perhaps?

PM me or hit me up on Facebook.
    It's not a club, it's our house, so there haven't been any public notifications. We mainly advertise on Facebook and through word of mouth.
    I haven't been on Progressive Ears a lot lately, either.

https://www.facebook.com/hardinghouseconcerts
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1478128259135049/