Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Yanks2014 (Tom Arena)

Wow, what a surprising thread to read! I honestly wasn't a fan of most of his posts, but realize reading this, I had somehow become "acquainted" with him. I know you know what I mean.
    Peace to those that knew and loved him and whom he's left behind. Bon voyage brother.

Very sorry to hear of his passing.

I always found his voice refreshing here. Genuine. Honest. Passionate. Always looking for the uplifting and flabbergasted that anyone else wouldn't be. As far as I could tell, he deserves the very best from here on out.

Peace and blessings to his friends and family.

Guess I'll be spinning some Dream Theater today. Particularly the Metropolis PT 2, which I had once dismissed but Thomas convinced me to seek its merits. Regarding his Yankee fandom, he was one of the better fans in the sports threads, never gloating when his team won nor giving excuses when they lost. RIP

I really feel for his family, they'd already experienced enough loss for the year.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Very sad. Who's going to run me over at festivals now? RIP Yanks

OH boy...Sad news indeed.

RIP Yanks.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    RIP

I did not always get along with Thomas and he has the distinction of being the only person I ever actually put on ignore (that lasted all of 15 minutes) but I respected the fact that he stood behind his convictions and was able to articulate them in a clear manner. Over time, I started to agreed with some of his views as I felt him start to bend a little from his earlier hard right leanings. I guess PE and Thomas rubbed off on each other.

R.I.P. Thomas. Your absence from here will be felt...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Sad to hear...

Sad news, indeed. Best wishes to his loved ones.

chalkpie
    What?!

Crazy question, but was this unexpected or just complications?

That's very sad- he'd posted here for years and years. Not somebody I would have agreed with on much, but he was civil on here as far as I recall and genuinely passionate about the music he loved. RIP.

Damn, guess he was a little sicker than we all thought. Whenever he would be in front of me at Nearfest I'd always threaten to push him and his buggy down the steps, then we would laugh about it. The we would go outside and he would light up a cigar and we would have a beer and talk. I'm going to miss knowing the fact that that will never happen again. Maybe I'll watch and listen to some Hiromi in your memory. Rest in peace my friend Tom.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I also got to spend some time with Tom and his cigar at various Nearfests. A loss to our community. RIP Yanks.

It's because his views on life and music were so diametrically opposed to mine that I found him one of the most fascinating contributors on here. I never met him but will miss his input enormously. Sad news indeed.

Horrible news. One of the few I agreed with on some rather controversial topics, with always a fresh perspective. RIP, Yanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    What?!

Crazy question, but was this unexpected or just complications?
    If you go to the Way Off Topic forum on the Progressivears Community page there is a thread that Thomas started about his surgical issues back in August. His last post mentions another procedure happening on September 17, so I assume this was a complication from that procedure.

He'll be missed. This community was enhanced by his presence, his passion for music, and his unique way of stirring up discussions. I am glad I got to meet him in person.

Just an observation....I am quite surprised to read many people making a point to say "how much they disagreed" with him politically. Are conservatives mostly "bad people" to most here? Maybe I am not reading this correctly, but why make that point at all then?

Anyway, I made sure to chat with him at the last NF. Somehow I knew this was coming, or I knew I would survive him. I am glad I took the time. A very nice fellow indeed. RIP Thomas.
    Last edited by Romerovm; 09-18-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Damn...so sad. I had actually begun to worry about what had become of Thomas when there was no update in the (somewhat) recent thread about his health issues, but I never expected this.

I admired his passion for music and enjoyed his posts/reviews of Nearfest and Rosfest.

RIP Thomas.
    <sig out of order>

I always wanted to meet him but sadly never had.
    Always a shame to lose someone so passionate about the things we love.
    RIP Thomas
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I'm just shocked to read this news. Sending good vibrations to you wherever you may be now.

Jon Neudorf
    Very sad news.

I never knew Thomas but usually enjoyed his insightful posts. His concert reviews were excellent. Very shocked to see this thread.

RIP Thomas and hearfelt thoughts and prayers to his family.

Very very sad. All best wishes on your journey Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    I am quite surprised to read many people making a point to say "how much they disagreed" with him politically. Are conservatives mostly bad people to most here? Maybe I am not reading this correctly, but why make that point at all then?

Anyway, I made sure to chat with him at the last NF. Somehow I knew this was coming, or I knew I would survive him. I am glad I took the time. A very nice fellow indeed. RIP Thomas.
    I can't speak for others but my issues with him, especially about a decade or so ago , focused in on the fact that he was so convinced of his ideologies and opinions that he would not sway from them one iota; would not even conceive of the possibility that he could be wrong or misinformed in any way. He seemed to relish in being an agent provocateur. Over the years I found his attitude changed. He still held strong to his core beliefs but he seemed more diplomatic in his exchanges with others. I found that to be real growth on his behalf, and I begrudgingly started to respect him more, and eventually like him. The news of his passing has saddened me.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-