Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for instrumental, dark, heavy, spacey, post-metally type bands

Looking for instrumental, dark, heavy, spacey, post-metally type bands

So, I've started taking some Graduate courses this fall, and I've found that this particular style of music makes for good studying/reading music, especially as I'm riding the train to work.

Two bands in particular from the early 2000s that are appealing to me are Yeti and Tarantula Hawk. NeBeLNeST also works really well

So are there any other recommendations? To make it more difficult: I'm not as interested in stuff that is on the "mathier" side like Russian Circles or Many Arms (love 'em both, but they're a demanding listen and don't sit well in the "background") or stuff with lyrics like Isis or Neurosis (I love both of them, but I'd rather stuff that is instrumental)

The darker and spacier, the better.

~Jeff

Djam Karet, start with Suspension and Displacement
    Scott McGill's Hand Farm might also be close
    A bit further afield, check out Nicky Skopelitis

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Scott McGill's Hand Farm might also be close
    I always considered Scott more of a Holdsworth clone.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Ooooo...check out Tempel and their album "On the Steps of the Temple." Basically a doom/post-metal album, but no vocals.

This Will Destroy You might also be up your alley. They just landed a new one this week called 'Another Language' although anything from the self-titled forward is well worth hearing.

Mogwai goes there sometimes, especially in the middle period (look for the EP My Father, My King).

35007 is another cool one, all instrumental.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Scott McGill is a good guitarist, and from Philly, but he falls under the "too many notes" category.

Djam Karet is a good one. At this point, I only have The Heavy Soul Sessions and The Trip, so I'll have to check out Suspension & Displacement (and some of their other spacier stuff)

I have a fair amount of Mogwai, and they're certainly a really nice option. Interestingly enough, last night I watched the pilot episode of Les Revenants, and I had forgotten that they did the soundtrack for it. Very fitting music for that show.

I'll look into 35007 and Tempel. Thanks!

Various songs from Anekdoten's various albums, for example.
    If you want to keep the dissonance down while keeping the heavy/spacey up, I'd say start with the "From Within" album -- for dissonance added on top of that, there is the earlier albums.
    For your criteria, in "From Within" you can start with the songs "Sun Absolute" and "From Within", and even "Hole" (great "big and heavy and mellotron-filled sound" in parts of it).
    I'd say try the studio versions before Live. Some of this is on youtube.

Spaced Out
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Oooo...speaking of Anekdoten, go see if you can get 'Symphonic Holocaust' from Morte Macabre. It was an instrumental spin-off from both Anekdoten and Landberk, with a sound approximating 70's Giallo soundtracks (about half the tracks are covers).
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I love me some Anekdoten, and while they are not quite what I'm looking for - Morte Macabre is though. That's one that I never get tired of listening to

Guapo

maybe also Sun O))) (emphasis on the drone here).

How about Agalloch? I know that you said no vocals, but they have long instrumental passages and the death metal vocals are very subdued. I would recommend "Ashes Against the Grain"

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Oooo...speaking of Anekdoten, go see if you can get 'Symphonic Holocaust' from Morte Macabre. It was an instrumental spin-off from both Anekdoten and Landberk, with a sound approximating 70's Giallo soundtracks (about half the tracks are covers).
    Autumn music! I love that album.

Tangerine Dream-Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Guapo
    Absolutely!

And:

Gösta Berlings Saga
    The Future Kings of England
    Walrus (the Swedish/Norwegian act with Mattias Olsson)
    Tartar Lamb
    Bauer
    Deformica
    Mar de Robles
    Syrinx
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

you can investigate
    GRU-Cosmogenesis
    Animals As Leaders
    T.R.A.M
    ... and I second Guapo and Spaced Out

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Spaced Out
    Is that the Canadien jam band that bored the crap out of me at Nearfest.

One Shot and Present
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    How about Agalloch?
    How about 'em? I checked out their bandcamp page - they're right in line with what I'm looking for.

Seriously surprised no one has mentioned the Ozric Tentacles.

Herd of Instinct is sort of along those lines
    Planet X might be a little to light, towards the fusion end of things
    Likewise Uncle Moe's Spaceranch
    Andy West's Rama 1
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

sold my two Nebelnest CDs, and cant be happier!

Monotheistic Supernalist ProgPariah77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffo621 View Post
    Two bands in particular from the early 2000s that are appealing to me are Yeti and Tarantula Hawk. NeBeLNeST also works really well.
    Help me out with Yeti, if you would ... what I'm finding online (iTunes, etc.) is utter crap. Best releases?

BTW, If I'm right about what you're looking for, I would suggest that you look into Vessels and Tides from Nebula. The aforementioned Ozrics is also a good bet.

On the heavier side (besides the excellent Animals as Leaders), you might check out Cloudkicker and Chimp Spanner.

Best wishes!
    Last edited by ProgPariah77; 09-19-2014 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo621 View Post
    How about 'em? I checked out their bandcamp page - they're right in line with what I'm looking for.
    Well snap...if you dig Agalloch, then definitely check out Wolves in the Throne Room.

Battema said:
    Wolves in the Throne Room.
    That's a name I've heard before, but never checked out. I believe they've toured with A Storm of Light - who are a great band, but a little too "song-based" for what I am looking for.

Another band that I thought of, who have been pretty quiet for a bit, is Red Sparowes.

@ProgPariah: Yeti only released two albums: "Things to Come" and "Volume, Obliteration, Transcendance." They're not an easy band to digest: very heavy and zeuhlish with a punk feel. Yet their keyboardist, who sadly died between the two albums from diabetes complications, was a dyed-in-the-wool proggy guy who loved analog keyboards - all of the keys on their albums are the real deal.

They're not for everyone, so there is definitely a YMMV warning with them. Although a quick scan of iTunes didn't show either of their albums - so I'm wondering if you were looking at a different band. I'd wager that the discs are OOP.

Here's a sampling of something off of Things to Come:
    Last edited by jeffo621; 09-19-2014 at 08:09 AM.

Red Sparrows is great. Wolves is very much in a similar territory as Agalloch...vocals are present but the music is the strength. Their last one was actually a full-tilt space album, instrumental and mostly synths instead of guitars.

I'm a big fan of Caspain as well....another in that same sort of school. 'Waking Season' is a desert island disc for me (not quite as dark as the others, but still killer).