Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for instrumental, dark, heavy, spacey, post-metally type bands

Quote Originally Posted by warrplayer View Post
    Someone already mentioned Herd of Instinct, though they might lean a bit too eclectic to match what you seem to be looking for. The Herd's warr guitarist Mark Cook put out a project with drummer Bill Bachman (Neal Morse) earlier this year that might check all those boxes.

Full disclosure: I played on one song on the album which I cowrote. (But the rest of it is really good!)
    How many strings has that thing? It looks pretty heavy. The ony group in my collection that employs a Warr guitar, is Philharmonie. It look a bit like a cross between an ordinary guitar and a Chapman stick. But what are the adventages?

This thread could get a little expensive for me. Last fall/early winter I was finishing this massive writing project and I played a LOT of Ephemeral Sun, Vietgrove, The Future Kings of England, Colour Haze, Earthless, Pyramidal, and My Sleeping Karma. Love this stuff.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    If that Monomyth sounds good (and I think it does), you should try Causa Sui. I'm not sure how post-metally they are, but they get heavy, and spacey, and it's pretty clear they love the Krautrock.

Last edited by notallwhowander; 09-21-2014 at 01:04 PM.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Dammit....just crack, not butt crack!!!!

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Rarebird asked:

How many strings has that thing? It looks pretty heavy. The ony group in my collection that employs a Warr guitar, is Philharmonie. It look a bit like a cross between an ordinary guitar and a Chapman stick. But what are the adventages?
    My guess is at least 12. I know that Trey Gunn was credited with 8 and 12 string Warr Guitar (and a stick is 10, right?). I'm not sure how it is different than a stick - they're both played touch style. I kinda got the impression that a Warr Guitar was "more guitar than bass" whereas a stick was "more bass than guitar" but both of them can perform as either.

And, as for it's weight, I'm pretty sure that Gunn had to temporarily retire from playing the Warr Guitar due to tendinitis from playing it

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo621 View Post
    Also, is it bothering the hell out of anyone else that I put a typo in the Subject Line?!?! DAMMIT!
    Fixed it for ya
    Regards,

Duncan

No you didn't: "metally" should be spelled "metaly"

Just kidding - thanks Duncan for the fix.

And I am really loving the Monomyth. This weekend I'll probably pick up some Zebulon Pike (pretty inexpensive to get the mp3s from Amazon), which may be one of the coolest band names I've ever heard.

~Jeff

Indukti is a real good "dark" mostly instrumental band...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    That's the Phalanx model which is meant to be played uncrossed. This one has 7 bass and 7 treble strings. Both tuned in fourths. The advantages? You can more easily play two different parts at a time. It's easier to do contrapuntal stuff. It looks cool at prog gigs? Philharmonie is great. Their Warr guitarist plays a standard stick tuning with inverted fifths in the bass and fourths on the treble side

Brain Connect - Get On Time (Poland)

I picked up the self-titled Monomyth CD as a result of this thread, and am listening my way through it right now. I'm definitely thinking that if this scratches the itch, Djam Karet's The Devouring, and Gösta Berlings Saga's Glue Works would scratch it too.

Quote Originally Posted by MJBrady View Post
    Brain Connect - Get On Time (Poland)

very impressive!

I'm gonna get me sum-o-dat
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by warrplayer View Post
    That's the Phalanx model which is meant to be played uncrossed. This one has 7 bass and 7 treble strings. Both tuned in fourths. The advantages? You can more easily play two different parts at a time. It's easier to do contrapuntal stuff. It looks cool at prog gigs? Philharmonie is great. Their Warr guitarist plays a standard stick tuning with inverted fifths in the bass and fourths on the treble side
    Thanks for the info, but what is the adventage over a stick? I suppose the adding of a body has an effect on the sound.

Damn, the Brain Connect is good. After some quick searching, I could only find a two song EP from them at Bandcamp, and their webpage was all in Polish.

Does anyone have any more details?

Thanks for the info, but what is the adventage over a stick? I suppose the adding of a body has an effect on the sound.
    Many Stick players swear this isn't true, but most Warr Guitarists feel the extra mass does indeed change the tone. The Warr guitar sounds more like a regular electric bass and guitar. The Stick has a very unique sound. The Stick's treble strings are known for sounding somewhat harp like. But, both instruments lend themselves to being treated with standard guitar and bass effects. Personal preference really when it comes down to it.

I can vouch for Anekdoten, Sunn O))), Colour Haze, Earthless & 35007. I have pretty much all of 35007's releases and several by the rest. Ufomammut is mostly instrumental. I have all of their stuff and recommend them.

Lots of good recommendations!

How about Morgilbl?

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Servo View Post
    Zebulon Pike.....you're welcome

Any idea which CD to start with for these guys
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

How about Monomyth?
    Monomyth added for shop list,thanks.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Oh dear, looks like I need to explore a lot of these.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Yeah, I've picked up both of Monomyth's releases. Mein Gott they are good. They probably need their own thread at some point I'm thinking about picking up some Zebulon Pike this week, especially since their songs can be bought at Amazon without the "album only" restrictions: 22 minute long songs for under a dollar.

I picked up both Monomyth discs too. I am really enjoying them, especially during my pre-dawn commute. You'll have at least one other person on that thread.

Dark Fog has that blend of stoner/psych going and throws in a touch of My Bloody Valentine