Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fish and Scottish independence

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
    Probably a Scotch owned by a non Scottish company.
    Johnnie Walker is made by Diageo, the worlds largest producer of alcoholic beverages, which is English.
    Chivas Regal is made by Pernod, which is French.
    Dewar's White Label is made by Bacardi with headquarters in Bermuda.
    And so on.
    If it's nae made in Scotland, it's nae Scotch!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    And the moral of the story?

Single Malts. Preferably an Islay.

Stay thirsty, my friends.
    Maybe I'll live big and buy a bottle of my favorite - Lagavullin. And throw on some Fish.

Aye, naw yer tawkin'! La-Ga-Vooo-Lin, th' Geud Stuff 'tis!

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    "25 Scottish Sayings That Will Get You Through Life":
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglopheni...-through-life/

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I went with Laphroig actually. Just drank a toast to Scotland and Thomas Arena. Slainthe!

Quote Originally Posted by Yaman Aksu View Post
    "25 Scottish Sayings That Will Get You Through Life":
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglopheni...-through-life/
    Christ...I felt like I was trapped inside Wallace's heid...I mean, head.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I went with Laphroig actually. Just drank a toast to Scotland and Thomas Arena. Slainthe!
    The holy trinity on the southern coast of Islay......Lagavulin, Laphroig, and Ardbeg. Now that is Heaven

I recall at one of his shows I saw in the late '90s, he spoke briefly about some recently enacted measures that gave Scotland a degree of home rule, and mentioned how he thought they'd eventually "go the full 10 yards". I think the only reason I remember this is because he got the American saying wrong.

It's all over with a resounding no, after all the panic.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It's all over with a resounding no, after all the panic.
    Thanks, Obama.

Fish has long been an SNP supporter, as far as I know. As noted he has confirmed his position on this elsewhere.
    Another notable Scot artiste has done so even more actively. Sean Connery is one of the flagship on this issue.

Hopefully they will prevail. Scoland (a genuine country for almost 1000 years) deserves its full legitimacy as a nation

I've certainly drank a few drams in the recent days.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^They haven't prevailed on this occasion. It wasn't a humiliating defeat but a clear defeat nevertheless.

^They haven't prevailed on this occasion. It wasn't a humiliating defeat but a clear defeat nevertheless.
    I kind of feared so that it wouldn't happen, because of the fears thrown (boycots and such) by the naysayers.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Scotland will vote "No". There are far too many people in Scotland who are smart neough to know that Scotland will become a third world country if it splits from the rest of the UK.

What did I tell ya? And I'm so pleased the UK remains intact. The UK is unique in being the only remaining multi-country state in Europe, if not in the world. The USSR, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia all divided, and then it went even further and Montenegro broke away from Serbia, and then the Caucasian countries started splintering and warring.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Oh come on! It's not as extreme as you're making it out to be. Most folk will simply cast their vote and then go about their business.

Everywhere I've been these past days, people on both sides are excited and engaged with this, and are having mature discussions, neighbours included.

Even the socially deprived who feel abandoned by politicians and who never vote are stepping up to have their say. As I type this, one fifth of the entire electorate have already cast their vote within the first three hours - that's a remarkable development!

Of course there are bound to be a few idiots that go over the score, but they're in a minority. The press love a good scare story, and tend to play up some of this stuff.

Scotland won't suddenly change overnight, so please, have a little faith in your countrymen.
    Fair comment, but East Linton (beautiful part of the world) is not Glasgow, where some unfortunate scenes have been all too common. Fortunately, the mentality of the football terraces which seemed to be so evident has not been the prevailing mood, and the emphatic margin of victory will perhaps ease some of the tension, whereas a very close vote could, and I only say could, have been a little more volatile. It does give me pleasure to be able to say that so far, your faith seems justified. Nevertheless, we have seen this event lead to probable change in the UK political structure to a degree already, and with the commitment reinforced this morning, I still feel things will never be the same again, but not necessarily worse.

Respect to you my friend, and to all of you other interested people who have commented on the subject

What did I tell ya? And I'm so pleased the UK remains intact. The UK is unique in being the only remaining multi-country state in Europe, if not in the world. The USSR, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia all divided, and then it went even further and Montenegro broke away from Serbia, and then the Caucasian countries started splintering and warring.
    Dude seriously are you that far out of touch and clueless? Did you not see the Scottish flags flying at the Camp Nou in Barcelona and all over the official buildings in Basque Countrty in the pet few days?

PS get ready for the England First, Enoch Powell-National Front type of backlash. It's coming. And by English people, I'm sure they don't mean, you know, those darkie Caribbean and South Asian types.
    Last edited by N_Singh; 09-19-2014 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Dude seriously are you that far out of touch and clueless? (
    Who the fck are you & what the fck are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I kind of feared so that it wouldn't happen, because of the fears thrown (boycots and such) by the naysayers.
    What do you mean about 'boycots'?

It was obvious to anyone with half a brain that banks and companies that do most of their business in the rest of the UK would be pretty much obliged to move significant parts of their business out of Scotland. Similarly, it was obvious that there were major questions over currency that the Yes side had no answers to other than a blind faith that the rest of the UK would form a currency union. There were good reasons why this could not be relied on, not least of which is that, as seen in the EU, an effective currency union can only work with political union, which is precisely what Scottish independence was moving away from! It would not have been possible to sell a currency union to the rUK electorate (remember that there is a General Election coming up next year).

Who the fck are you & what the fck are you talking about?
    Spain is a multinational Countrty and the UK is not the only one left, as you strangely claim. Guess you have no clue where "Barcelona" and "Basque Counrty" are.

Spain is a multinational Countrty and the UK is not the only one left, as you strangely claim. Guess you have no clue where "Barcelona" and "Basque Counrty" are.
    You are completely wrong. You are the one with no clue, ya muppet. The UK is made up of 4 distinct countries. Spain has regions that want to breakaway, they are not distinct countries that want to break away, as was the case with Scotland, and as was the case with the USSR and Yugoslavia. Get your facts right before you start attacking others.

Well this thread took an unfortunate turn. Very sad.

Well this thread took an unfortunate turn. Very sad.
    Yes it did, with this comment to me from Singh: "Dude seriously are you that far out of touch and clueless?"

And to be honest I'm tired of constantly ignoring such personal attacks. Time to bite back.

This is what national politics does - instead of uniting people, it tends to divide them. Personally, I'd rather see people united than divided. but this whole Scottish debate has been divisive and I would like it all to stop and for everyone to get back to getting along (and not just here in Scotland guys)

You are completely wrong. You are the one with no clue, ya muppet. The UK is made up of 4 distinct countries. Spain has regions that want to breakaway, they are not distinct countries that want to break away, as was the case with Scotland, and as was the case with the USSR and Yugoslavia. Get your facts right before you start attacking others.
    Don't forget the Vatican City State, which is not part of Italy.

Ya muppet.

Quote Originally Posted by martiprog View Post
    This is what national politics does - instead of uniting people, it tends to divide them. Personally, I'd rather see people united than divided. but this whole Scottish debate has been divisive and I would like it all to stop and for everyone to get back to getting along (and not just here in Scotland guys)

Indeed, no need to divide. England Prevails!