Thread: Saw Ana Popovic on Saturday night

Saw Ana Popovic on Saturday night

First time ever seeing her or hearing her and I thought she was full of energy and better than I expected. A bit surprising, I never really care for female blues artists, but she had a great guitar licks and a very sultry bluesy voice. Great band behind her also. Anyone really familiar with her work?

Oh, yea Popovic is great, especially live. I have seen her twice and she has been great both times. I have several of her albums too. The live one is my favorite, but her studio stuff is pretty good too.

Women are really kicking ass in the blues world right now. You might want to also check out some of the other young female guitar slingers out there like Samantha Fish or Joanne Shaw Taylor. If you like Popovic my bet is you would like them as well as they are similar in style.

I'm not "really familiar" with her but she came up often enough on my Pandora female blues station (which unlike you I love) that I bought one of her CDs. I agree with Steve, she's a really fine guitarist, a powerful singer and she ain't half bad looking either.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I'm not "really familiar" with her but she came up often enough on my Pandora female blues station (which unlike you I love) that I bought one of her CDs. I agree with Steve, she's a really fine guitarist, a powerful singer and she ain't half bad looking either.
    I found the skimpy dress and heals a bit distracting to the music itself. Yeah, she's a beautiful lady and looks good in a sexy dress, but is that what her music is about or more or less just a gimmick to draw attention?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I found the skimpy dress and heals a bit distracting to the music itself. Yeah, she's a beautiful lady and looks good in a sexy dress, but is that what her music is about or more or less just a gimmick to draw attention?
    I've never heard of her, but it's good she's healing.

Used to love hearing her on Delicious Agony (pretty sure it was there). Wonder if she'll get around the Chicago area.
    “We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles

Saw her for the first time at the Mount Dora Blues Festival a few months ago. I had never heard of her (or the festival for that matter). A friend of mine invited me at the last minute and I went. I normally take my camera with me to concerts but, since this was last minute, I wasn't at my house and didn't have my camera with me. I liked her show, I really enjoyed it (and of course, she's a beautiful woman). Personally, I'd rather see a beautiful woman play guitar onstage (and one very talented at that) and/or bands with female players and vocalists than watching all male bands all the time, don't you think?

She is good looking does play up the sex card in her marketing, no doubt about it, but she is also a very talented lady, who can play the heck out of a blues guitar.

I found the skimpy dress and heels a bit distracting to the music itself. Yeah, she's a beautiful lady and looks good in a sexy dress, but is that what her music is about or more or less just a gimmick to draw attention?
    If ya got it it'd be stupid not to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    If ya got it it'd be stupid not to use it.
    Have you seen the outfits she wears? That's not using it I'd call it abusing it. Believe me when I say I like to see a beautiful lady playing guitar on stage, but maybe just perhaps she goes a little overboard with it. All I'm saying is that she's good enough that I don't think she needs to flaunt it so much. But I'm not complaining that she does.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
    Personally, I'd rather see a beautiful woman play guitar onstage (and one very talented at that) and/or bands with female players and vocalists than watching all male bands all the time, don't you think?
    Here ya go:

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Here ya go: