Thread: Albums That Never Were - link

Albums That Never Were - link

Apologies if this has been mentioned already (search results didn't return it)

but this website is just fantastic:

http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.co.uk/

It features re-imaginings of unreleased albums.
    (i.e what would have happened if the Beatles would have stayed together
    or Barrett had stayed with Floyd)

His Beach Boys SMiLE and Floyd's 'Massed Gadgets (The Man / The Journey)'
    in particular is outstanding. Stuff is not just re-sequenced,
    but often re-mixed totally. Well worth checking out folks.

Interesting stuff! Going to take a while to absorb all of that.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Really interesting to plough through and I will continue to click on the older posts. This is like a dream. Although the so called missing album of any group tends to mystify me,...it's really common in a musician's life. The tapes they left behind were placed in a vault and didn't surface until maybe 20 or 30 years later in the digital age. One killer realization is The Trident Tapes/sessions by Mahavishnu Orchestra. Many reasons behind this situation are truly repeated patterns in the musician's life..like the band folding and tapes were left behind or the changing of record labels where a lawsuit took place because the label refused to hand over an entire album of material revolving around a slimball business dispute with the band.

Other missing albums could be predicted and usually based off the obvious. For example....It is possible that a few of the songs from Then Play On which were written by Peter Green... may have been ideas for the album that Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer planned to do themselves on the life of Jesus. It is also very possible that various songs from the Children of God album by Jeremy Spencer and the Children may have been originally written for the project with Green, but re-arranged nevertheless..and considering this observation, one must take into account that even with progressive Rock artists...like McDonald & Giles the experience is basically the same. The album that never existed. The material from McDonald & Giles had been written for the next K.C. album which was (at the time), to be In The Wake Of Poseidon. Robert Fripp recorded a strange album with a witch in the early 70's. I believe it was titled Abracadabra. Jade Warrior placed almost an album's worth of material in the vault after the band members stopped showing to rehearsal. This supposedly happened shortly after the release of Distant Echoes. I often wonder if that material had been re-arranged to fit into other songs. Maybe the ones on "Now". Since there was a long stretch of time between Distant Echoes and Now, some of the material could have been carried on to the next project. This is painful observation and a bit like fantasy. I actually want to hear these recordings.

Wow- thanks for sharing this - This is going to take up quite a bit of time! Fascinating blog

Massively cool -- will be spending months looking into these.

And the guy seems to have a pretty good grasp of the ins-and-outs of these albums.

He does a great alternative (and better) Saucerfull of Secrets.

There is a sublime moment when Golden Hair melts into Set The Controls - (but then it is basically the same musicians / instruments on both tracks anyway!)

You are about to hear a load of 'new' Floyd albums you never knew existed!

Other than the Floyd and Who stuff this is largely hipster stuff that is probably Jann Wenner's wet dream. Pass......

Interesting page. Would love to see his take on the aborted, 2 LP A Passion Play. Does he take requests?

^ I think so. I read on a couple of his posts that he made up albums in response to requests.

Thanks for the link rael74. I downloaded and am currently listening to the 2CD version of Frances The Mute - and it's great. I've also got my eye on the Pink FLoyd and Nirvana albums.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01