Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corrado Rustici Trio

Corrado Rustici Trio

Finally out, this is Corrado Rustici, Steve Smith and Peter Vettesse's firey fusion document from a Japan tour in 2010. See the link for more info!

"In the spring of 2010, Corrado Rustici - the renowned guitarist and producer of some of the most influential artists in Italian history (Zucchero, Elisa, Francesco De Gregori, Claudio Baglioni, Andrea Bocelli, Negramaro and Luciano Ligabue) - drummer Steve Smith (Journey, Steps Ahead, Vital Information) and keyboardist Peter Vettese (Jethro Tull, Annie Lennox, Seal) embarked on a 2 week tour of Japan. This audio CD and DVD package is a document of their firey, passionate playing during those two weeks. It showcases new arrangements from Corrado Rustici's acclaimed solo albums "Deconstruction of a postmodern musician" and "The Heartist", plus revisitations of material from Corrado's old fusion band "Nova". The result of the passion and technique that these three talented,virtuoso musicians lend to the music, is of the highest level and not for the faint of heart. From the soulful and hypnotic mood of "Chiudi gli occhi" to the high energy solos and improvisations of "Loud Cloud", this album is sure to satisfy any lover of multi-tiered, deep musiC"

http://www.corradorustici.com/crt/cddvd.html
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Worth noting that Corrado Rustici was also the guitarist and leader of Cervello, one of the best one-off Italian progressive albums. He also played on Osanna's "Landscape of Life" with his older brother Danilo.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    Worth noting that Corrado Rustici was also the guitarist and leader of Cervello, one of the best one-off Italian progressive albums.
    Er, THE best one - if you ask me. Highly original and intricate take on the "symph rock" idiom, manically swaying their guitarism-vs.-tuned percussion frenzy through some truly remarkable arrangements and melodies. That melancholy atmosphere of desolate despair and anguish sits next to none in their camp, although Il Balletto came very close on Ys.

Hell, even Dave Kerman was impressed with Cervello's Melos - and that's saying something.

Osanna's LoL is a very uneven album, I think. "Fog In My Mind"? Right...
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

One of the most under appreciated fusion guitarists on the planet.

I am glad there is a recent recording of him playing in that style.

This just went on the 'buy' list.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Cervello's Melos get's a mid price rerelease on the 23rd by Sony Italy by the way
    (so get it, now!)

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Cervello's Melos get's a mid price rerelease on the 23rd by Sony Italy by the way
    (so get it, now!)
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

Could not have said it any better!

Er, THE best one - if you ask me. Highly original and intricate take on the "symph rock" idiom, manically swaying their guitarism-vs.-tuned percussion frenzy through some truly remarkable arrangements and melodies. That melancholy atmosphere of desolate despair and anguish sits next to none in their camp, although Il Balletto came very close on Ys.

Hell, even Dave Kerman was impressed with Cervello's Melos - and that's saying something.

Osanna's LoL is a very uneven album, I think. "Fog In My Mind"? Right...
    I would probably throw Jumbo's "Vietato.." in the mix for the despair and anguish category. The mad poet of Milan....

Cervello, the best one-off Italian ever? It's in the conversation for sure... though I'd personally probably vote for Museo Rosenbach, RRR, Biglietto per L'Inferno, or Celeste... though technically all of those bands had followup releases of some sort (be it modern or archival), but I still think it's fair to call them "one offs" in the spirit of the movement. Competition is stiff though. Campo di Marte, De De Lind, Alphataurus... oh the list goes on. A good problem to solve.

Oops - I usurped the thread.... Good to see Rustici still cranking it out.

Now it's my time to drink a

I remember reading an interview with Corrado in Guitar Player back in 1984, I think it was the May issue, with that James Taylor turkey on the cover. A big chunk of the article had him detailing the guitar synth rig he was planning on putting together, using a custom built guitar with a Zeta Systems hex pickup, which he planned to link to a Memorymoog synth. The thing was, this article was published in the same issue of GP that cover that spring's NAMM show, where Roland unveiled the GR-700, the first guitar to MIDI system. I wonder how far Corrado got with his Zeta Systems/Memorymoog rig before finding out about the GR-700. How do you say, "Ah shit, all the effort for nothing!" in Italian?!

Well, Corrado used a Synthaxe a lot on "The Heartist", but that was 1995...

No one's mentioned Nova yet? Love that band! He's also one of the most successful record producers of recent time in Italy. Love his work on the PFM Serendipity album too!

If you haven't check out his Deconstruction of a PostModern Artist. Bitch to find the CD, but it's really an amazing, mature album. Elisa guests on a track, as does one of the guys from Negramaro, great vocal tunes. The rest of the album ranges from blistering fusion to some very meditative ambient pieces. One of my fav albums from the past few years.

http://strawberrybricks.com/guide/re...odern-musician

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Well, Corrado used a Synthaxe a lot on "The Heartist", but that was 1995...
    Which is besides the point. My point was that he was putting together this custom guitar synth rig, at the same time that Roland was preparing to release something that would have largely given him the same thing in an off-the-shelf instrument. I just wonder if he saw the GR-700, and thought, "Man, if only I waited a few months...". Who knows? Actually, given the fact that the article stated that he was waiting for a custom guitar to be finished that was going to have the hex pickup mounted on it, maybe it was more than a few months, I understand you order a guitar from a luthier, you can sometimes be waiting two or three years for the finished instrument. (shrug)

What I'd like to know is if he performed or recorded with the his custom Zeta Systems/Memorymoog, or if he jumped on the MIDI guitar bandwagon as soon as he saw that was available.

The cd/dvd arrived today. Smoking stuff. Great to hear these interpretations of songs from Nova (Vimana) and his solo-recordings.

Shredder!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post

If you haven't check out his Deconstruction of a PostModern Artist. Bitch to find the CD, but it's really an amazing, mature album. Elisa guests on a track, as does one of the guys from Negramaro, great vocal tunes. The rest of the album ranges from blistering fusion to some very meditative ambient pieces. One of my fav albums from the past few years.
    You can buy the download at Corrado's website. The CD can be found on sites like Amazon en Audiophile, but they don't come cheap. Love the album, not only because of Holdsworth guitar-solo ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Which is besides the point.
    Got your point, only wanted to give some slightly suitable info.

You can buy the download at Corrado's website. The CD can be found on sites like Amazon en Audiophile, but they don't come cheap. Love the album, not only because of Holdsworth guitar-solo ;-)
    I searched high and low for CD (all the bits!) of both his albums. I found 'em. Paid a lot, but I found 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I searched high and low for CD (all the bits!) of both his albums. I found 'em. Paid a lot, but I found 'em!
    A couple of years ago Rustici offered a very well produced CDR-version of The Heartist on his site for a good price. This included a good copy of the complete booklet.

No one has mentioned the magnificent Narada Michael Walden's "The Dance of Life". (The track, not the album).
    One of the best songs ever recorded imo.
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Discography

Corrado Rusticci Trio
    Blaze and Bloom (2014)

Deconstruction of a postmodern musician/Corrado Rustici
    Sugar/2006
    producer, recording artist, musician, writer

The Heartist/Corrado Rustici
    Visa/1995
    producer, recording artist, writer, musician, singer

Victory/Narada M. Walden
    Atlantic/1980
    musician, writer

The Dance of Life/Narada M. Walden
    Atlantic/1979
    musician, writer

Sun City/Nova
    Arista/1978
    recording artist, writer, musician, singer

Wings of Love/Nova
    Arista/1977

Vimana/Nova
    Arista/1976

Blink/Nova
    Arista/1975

Landscape of Life/Osanna
    Fonit-Cetra/1974
    musician, writer, singer

Melos/Cervello
    Ricordi/1973
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

The cd/dvd arrived today. Smoking stuff. Great to hear these interpretations of songs from Nova (Vimana) and his solo-recordings.
    Received my CD/DVD on Saturday and the CD has been in heavy rotation ever since. This is by far the best music purchase I've made this year, but I am a guitar-oriented fusion fan boy This is some seriously kick-ass material. Hopefully someone who knows how to write about music (J Kelman?) will give this a suitable review beyond my feeble abilities.