Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prog musicians who play tennis

Prog musicians who play tennis

Which prog musicians play/played tennis?

Tony Banks is a huge tennis fan. I recall him being briefly interviewed once by CBS while attending the US Open, and he and Mike Rutherford would regularly find time to play while Genesis was on tour.

I played a Tennis album just the other day. I hear they just released a 3rd album.

Oh...

Okay, I do play tennis, I'm not great at it, but not terrible either. Not surprised Tony Banks plays, as he is a very good ping pong player.

Alan White used to. ; )

Yep... we're running out of things to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Bjorn Lynne Bjorg
    Pete Sampras Gabriel
    John McEnroe Godfry

..to name a few

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Here's some old family home movie footage from when the Genesis boys were growing up.

3167.f.jpg

That's Geddy and Alex from Rush, if the pic is too small to tell.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I hearby challenge Tony Banks to a game of tennis, or table tennis, his choice of venue. He does frequent this forum, doesn't he?

neil

Martin Barre from Tull is a demon at table tennis. Heard that from IA on a Tull radio interview when they were in town on the Rock Island tour
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

I love tennis and my 15 year old son is a beast at the game.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    We haven't done: Prog Musicians Who Pee Sitting Down
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

Suspended
    Burt Bacharach, whose music many say was often progressive, is a tennis tragic, though I don't think he plays, just attends the matches.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Prog Musicians Who Pee Sitting Down
    Robert Wyatt

Sorry, just trying to put an end to this thread!

Jeff Wayne's fairly prog in releasing concept albums. Here's what Wiki says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Wayne

Wayne published a book called The Book of Tennis and created, produced and scored eight thirty-minute episodes of The Book of Tennis Chronicles that was distributed by Fox Sports in approximately twenty countries, and was broadcast in the US on The Tennis Channel between 2005 and 2008.

Wayne has remained involved with tennis; he has won the British National Indoor Veterans singles and doubles titles, and the National Clay Court doubles. In 1992 he partnered former Great Britain No. 1 and Davis Cup captain Roger Taylor at the European Veteran Championships. In 1999, Wayne represented Great Britain in the Austria Cup in Spain, and achieved an ITF world ranking in his age group. In 2008 Wayne was elected into the International Lawn Tennis Club of Great Britain. Wayne has also played many fundraising pro-am tournaments including for: Muscular Dystrophy, Olympic Games and Save the Children.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Dee Palmer?
    Jennifer Maidman?
    (I denounce myself, as they say)

If you named every woman in a prog band, your sit-down pee numbers would be voluminous (both literally and figuratively!).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

What about tennis players who play prog?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I remember seeing Richard Barbieri (Japan, Porcupine Tree, etc.) playing tennis.

And actually I find this question more interesting than a lot of typical music/muso topics because it gets more at the personality that made the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    And actually I find this question more interesting than a lot of typical music/muso topics because it gets more at the personality that made the music.
    Well in that case...

Danny Gottlieb (original Pat Metheny Band drummer... and he'd laugh if he knew I was listing him as a "prog musician") plays in the band I tour with. We play at a lot of military bases and he and his wife, Beth (percussion) look for a tennis court first thing after checking into our lodging. It's a somewhat new thing for them, but Beth is a very athletic person in general and she's always pushing Danny to get involved. So whenever there's a tennis court and any down time before soundcheck, they always play tennis.

As for me, I used to play a lot of table tennis when I was younger, but never played real tennis. Too much running around!

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Martin Barre from Tull is a demon at table tennis. Heard that from IA on a Tull radio interview when they were in town on the Rock Island tour

So is Rick Wakeman.

In the UK, table tennis is taken a lot more seriously than in the US. They have a fairly organized club system.

It is not the same game (from a quality standpoint) that most Americans play.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Suspended
    It may not be "prog", but Chrissie Hynde's latest album, which is actually her first solo album, features none other than John McEnroe on guitar.