Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maneige

Maneige

I have the first four Maneige albums and I love all four of them, with Les Porches probably my favourite. Based purely on the strength of these four albums, I can safely say Maneige are in my top 3 Quebec prog bands of the 1970s.... I'm in a mood for this stuff lately and I think it's time to expand my collection a bit. I've heard more mixed reviews of the final two studio albums (Montréal, 6AM and Images) but I've never gotten around to hearing them personally. I also have none of the live albums (most of which were released many years after the fact, if I recall), but I'd like to check some of those out as well. Any recommendations? I suspect I have the best stuff already but is there an album or two I could still safely add to this collection of wonderful music?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I don't have recommendations - but I agree that Les Porches is a great album and I just listened to that this week.

avoid Images

up to that they are all great!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I also have only the first four, and I strongly prefer their latter two fusion-oriented releases to the abstract neo-classical thing they were doing on their first two, though their early stuff has grown on me.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I also have only the first four, and I strongly prefer their latter two fusion-oriented releases to the abstract neo-classical thing they were doing on their first two, though their early stuff has grown on me.
    I love the shift on the latter two albums as well, but there's a certain magic to the first two that I really get lost in.... I just can't help but adore them.

Listening now, BTW, to the Pollen disc which is another beauty as any fan of the Quebec 70s scene knows...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Oh, I should point out too that there are plenty of live tracks as bonuses on these releases, so I'm not entirely unfamiliar with that material. I just don't actually own any the live CDs, but I've added the live Les Porches release to my amazon wishlist because that looks like a must-have!

if you like Libre Service, you'll like Montreal 6AM

but Images is just bad
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Try the pre-maneige band Lasting weep

Great band Sal! Libre Service is my favorite, but Montreal 6AM has one of my favorite tunes of all time, Popozoff.

I've ordered Les Porches Live, but Montréal, 6AM seems to be out of print. Or at least, it's not on Amazon, ProgQuebec, Synphonic, Lasers Edge or Discogs.

Which Lasting Weep titles should I check out? What about Jerome Langlois' solo albums?

Montreal 6 AM has never been on CD. It's the studio album in between Libre Service and Images. The other live album is called "Live à l'Évêché".

There are two Lasting Weep releases, 1969-1971 and the Albatros show which is from a few years later. The time periods give good hints about how the two compare stylistically.

For Jerome's solo work, I would go with either Molignak, which is his modern chamber-rock album, or Live au FMPM, which has an energetic performance with a lot of this material as well as a second disc with solo piano work.

Listened to Ni Vent... Ni Nouvelle on my morning walk... I forgot how great that one is. The live bits on it are also a super addition. A very nice mix of heavy and light material. Some really good recording quality too. The bass is sublime. Layered goodness all over that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Listened to Ni Vent... Ni Nouvelle on my morning walk... I forgot how great that one is. The live bits on it are also a super addition. A very nice mix of heavy and light material. Some really good recording quality too. The bass is sublime. Layered goodness all over that one.
    that one is my fav of theirs

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Listened to Ni Vent... Ni Nouvelle on my morning walk... I forgot how great that one is.
    Their best, IMO - although I like the first four altogether. They somehow remind me a lot of Supersister's "Pudding en Gisteren" here, or a more light-weight Dün.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    if you like Libre Service, you'll like Montreal 6AM

but Images is just bad
    Yup, Images is best foirgotten, though it's almost OK for 80's prog band albums (better than Genesis or Yes have done ibn thaty decade

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I've ordered Les Porches Live, but Montréal, 6AM seems to be out of print. Or at least, it's not on Amazon, ProgQuebec, Synphonic, Lasers Edge or Discogs.

Which Lasting Weep titles should I check out? What about Jerome Langlois' solo albums?
    Montreal 6AM was never reissued on CD, but it's really a worthy album (though not as good as LS:SS)

as for Lasting Weep, it's OK, (and even quite good at times) but just not as excellent as Maneige. Attack in a second waven IMHO

For Langlois, Molignak is fabulous (though the 08 live with the 85 studio album as bonus disc is also very interesting)

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Montreal 6 AM has never been on CD. It's the studio album in between Libre Service and Images. The other live album is called "Live à l'Évêché".

There are two Lasting Weep releases, 1969-1971 and the Albatros show which is from a few years later. The time periods give good hints about how the two compare stylistically.

For Jerome's solo work, I would go with either Molignak, which is his modern chamber-rock album, or Live au FMPM, which has an energetic performance with a lot of this material as well as a second disc with solo piano work.
    oops, I see Sean has already answered ...

But both live albums (Eveché and LP Live) arequite good IMHO (Eveché also features live 74/75 tapes -predating their début album if memory serves)

You also have the 78 live album spread as bonus tracks over NVNN and LS/SS, but it's not all that good (production maybe... but the excitement seems a bit absent)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Les Porches Live arrived yesterday, listening now and it sounds great! Nice to hear another lengthy track I was unfamiliar with too ("Chou-fler")...

I downloaded Montréal, 6AM just to check it out, since it is unavailable. A couple of good tracks but a bit of a step down from the first four. It's not a big deal to me that it is not on CD as I don't consider it essential by any means, but if it was to be released in a limited run, I'd probably grab it.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Les Porches Live arrived yesterday, listening now and it sounds great! Nice to hear another lengthy track I was unfamiliar with too ("Chou-fler")...
    Sadly, the band would not allow the use of the encore, which is a rousing rendition of House of the Rising Sun (not making this up).

When you get around to it, the other live album also has unreleased stuff (40 minutes worth across 3 tracks).

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Sadly, the band would not allow the use of the encore, which is a rousing rendition of House of the Rising Sun (not making this up).
    When you get around to it, the other live album also has unreleased stuff (40 minutes worth across 3 tracks).
    I would kill to hear that!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    After seeing Jerome Langois open for Hackett in Montreal last fall, ran over to HMV and grabbed "Les Porches"- sublime stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    But both live albums (Eveché and LP Live) are quite good IMHO
    "Quite good"? I have just put my hands on Les Porches Live and I simply cannot believe that this band has such a low profile everywhere. Now I can see that the name popped up in a variety of "Quebecois/instrumental prog" threads, always accompanied by several other names (certainly not even half as good). That's the only thread I've found here dedicated to them.

Well, what can I say? This recording blows me off and at this stage I am rarely blown away by new prog discoveries. I have checked ProgArchives and there are merely two reviews of this release, actually only one that makes sense... that is yours!

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12873

Tremendous stuff, I am definitely going to grab more silver goodies signed with their name.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 05-11-2016 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Tremendous stuff, I am definitely going to grab more silver goodies signed with their name.
    Ni Vent...Ni Nouvelle is the bee's knees.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Awesome band, they should be rated much higher.

A total different band with a total different Background that somehow reminds me of Maneige sometimes:

"Quite good"? I have just put my hands on Les Porches Live and I simply cannot believe that this band has such a low profile everywhere. Now I can see that the name popped up in a variety of "Quebecois/instrumental prog" threads, always accompanied by several other names (certainly not even half as good). That's the only thread I've found here dedicated to them.

Well, what can I say? This recording blows me off and at this stage I am rarely blown away by new prog discoveries. I have checked ProgArchives and there are merely two reviews of this release, actually only one that makes sense... that is yours!

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=12873
    Well there has been up to four live albums over the years,, though only one historical release:
    Composite, which is potentially the weakest of the four, though for its defence, it's mostly new stuff that wasn't recorded in the studio before. It also never saw a CD reissue, except under bonus tracks on two different albums (NVNN and LS/SS)
    Live Montréal 74/75 released in the mid-90's and now long OOP, but it doesn't really matter because it's included as bonus in one of the PQ live releases. However it was potentially the most exhilarating release at the time, because it featured mostly stuff prior to their debut album.
    Live at l'Evéché is IMHO their less essential live album, especially if you already own the above-mentioned ML74/75. However if only for the first five tracks, I wouldn't dream not owning it.
    Les Porches Live is certainly excellent as well , but as the title says, most of it from the same album.

BTW, if you need to know, three historical albums have never see a proper reissue:

Composite (I talked of it above)

Montreal 6AM >> generally unfairly maligned , IMHO. It's still classic Maneige, though it does smell a bit tired.

Images >> an early-80's reunion thing best forgotten.

All of them should still be found on vinyl at affordable prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Ni Vent...Ni Nouvelle is the bee's knees.
    Indeed it is not only the best it is also a transitional album from their their serious prog into fusion and gives the best of both worlds, great percussion work too.
    Here is a live video of 'Jardins Des Étoiles' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUDrVS-E1qw