Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP John Gustafson

RIP John Gustafson

Very sorry to hear tonight from Peter Robinson of Quatermass that John Gustafson has died. he had been ill for a few years. John played on many albums of that era including Voyage of the Acolyte , with Roxy Music and Gordon Giltrap and by all accounts was a lovely man.

Very sad to hear. Gustafson is on many albums in my collection; he's featured on albums from Gordon Giltrap, Steve Hackett, Quatermass, Roxy Music, Sphincter Ensemble, Andrew Lloyd Webber & Tim Rice and Juan Martín. Rest in peace, John.

Sad news.

What a criminally underrated singer, I might add.

That's awful. Just last week I was playing his stuff he did in an old Merseybeat band (he was a contemporary of The Beatles) called The Big Three. Also makes an appearance on 'Jesus Christ Superstar'.

A few months ago the Quatermass album was heavily discussed here, I remember saying then this was one I think should have been huge.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    A damned shame! I didn't even knew he sang until I heard Quatermass a couple years ago , and I was impressed.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Is that the same Peter Robinson that played with Brand X?

Terrific and versatile player, unduly unrecognized as such. RIP
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Is that the same Peter Robinson that played with Brand X?
    Yup.

And Morris Pert's Suntreader.

And Eno & Goodsall's Peter & The Wolf.

Dozens of others.

Terrible, terrible news. Tremendous singer and my favorite bass player ever. An era has ended. RIP Johnny Gus.

I've posted this before but it's fitting to have it again.

http://dmme.net/interviews/gus.html

Will be playing Quatermass, Hard Stuff, and maybe even Baltik and Ablution this weekend...

as Audience once said, "it brings a tear"

Very sad news, an excellent player responsible for quite a few great albums. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    And Eno & Goodsall's Peter & The Wolf.
    Mmh... You got most of this wrong I'm afraid. First, Peter Robinson is NOT on this, as this pre-dates his involvement in the Brand X "family". Secondly, that project was led by Robin Lumley and Jack Lancaster, not Eno or Goodsall who were merely participants, as were the other Brand X members plus Bill Bruford, Keith Tippett, Gary Brooker etc.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

My respect for him is substantial enough for Hard Stuff alone, let alone the rest of his career. RIP

Is Paul Hammond still with us or have they all gone now?

Wow!!! RIP

Condoleances to his family.....

And to Cabalsas/jim
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

If anyone hasn't seen it, look out for the 'Rock Family Trees' documentary on the Merseybeat boom. Some of his anecdotes in there and his droll delivery of them make me laugh even thinking about them (ones about The Big Three's problems with Decca and the manager of The Merseybeats will long live with me!).

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    My respect for him is substantial enough for Hard Stuff alone, let alone the rest of his career. RIP

Is Paul Hammond still with us or have they all gone now?
    Paul Hammond was first to go, back in the early 90s(shortly after Vincent Crane)

Wow, sad. We are losing alot of our contemporary musicians. I had just replaced my old vinyl version with the remastered CD at Rosfest. Definitely one of the great efforts of those early days of prog.

Very sad. I loved John on Ian Gillan Band's 1st album Child In Time. He worked so well with the great Mark Nauseef. Rest in peace & many thanks for brightening my ears, Johnny!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Holy crap, I never knew he was the guy who sang Simon Zealotes.

Also: He played bass on Star of Sirius, Steve Hackett's most beautiful song

Why isn't this being widely reported yet? You'd think that someone with as varied a career as he had, and who's played with as many musicians as he had would merit a mention.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Why isn't this being widely reported yet? You'd think that someone with as varied a career as he had, and who's played with as many musicians as he had would merit a mention.
    Well, it's not as though he played yakety sax with Bruuuuce, or something.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Knew Gus back in the Big Three days. Got to meet him a couple of times whenever they played. I still have the 45 of the Big Three Live at the Cavern that he gave me.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Very sad. I loved John on Ian Gillan Band's 1st album Child In Time. He worked so well with the great Mark Nauseef. Rest in peace & many thanks for brightening my ears, Johnny!
    Great album and also saw the tour to promote it , very sad news