Thread: Patto

Patto

Did they ever made something else like this ?

Most of their music was like that! Also, Ollie's work on the 2nd Tempest album was scorching!

"Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

FWIW, if you're a member of the Ollie Halsall / Patto group on Facebook, there's a ton of live recordings floating around to listen to. Incredible stuff like Torrington 1975, their reunion gig, and most if not all of the BBC sessions. Very lively group, great discussions!

Check the other Patto and Halsall thread as well!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Most of their music was like that! Also, Ollie's work on the 2nd Tempest album was scorching!
    I love Living in Fear. “Dance to My Tune” and “Turn Around” are unheralded classics of 70s progressive hard rock. More people need to hear that album!

I’ve only heard the first Patto, but I’ve never heard anything quite like it. Mike Patto’s voice suggests Roger Chapman, but this goes off into prog/jazz/blues/jam rock realms all its own. Remarkable.

I also discussed Mike Patto in the Spooky Tooth thread. I am probably one of the few big fans of The Mirror. Yes, Mike Harrison is irreplaceable, blah blah blah. But I thought Mike Patto did a great job on that album. The title song is one of that band’s finest moments.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Mike, the other thing to check out (If you haven't) is Timebox, the pre-Patto band. Absolutely some of the best late 60s music from England.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I’ve only heard the first Patto, but I’ve never heard anything quite like it. Mike Patto’s voice suggests Roger Chapman, but this goes off into prog/jazz/blues/jam rock realms all its own. Remarkable.
    Still I think bands like Patto, Family, Traffic, early Humble Pie, Audience, Skin Alley and a few others actually represented a "third path" of possible developments in vintage progressive rock music - different from the ones established by King Crimson and Soft Machine. These forementioned groups always kept the "rock" card close to heart yet expanded into sometimes highly eclectic quarters of experimentation. The debut Patto record is their best, IMO - with some of the most fiery guitarplaying and drumming executed in UK rock music at the time, and with Mike Patto himself in top shape as well. And that vibraphone just rules...!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    And that vibraphone just rules...!
    Ollie Halsall started off as a vibes player. He apparently begged his parents to buy him a vibraphone. So of course any time it shows up on one of his recordings, it’s amazing. You can tell he really loved playing them!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

The guitar work and vibes on Money Bag from the first album puts you right in the thick of what can be done w/ those instruments as jazz vehicles...like a really lysergic Wes Montgomery and Gary Burton in one band member. A ridiculous concentration of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    He apparently begged his parents to buy him a vibraphone.
    I suppose there has to be a first time for everything; "What was it you said you wanted, son?! Not drums, you say - not electric guitar, but a... a what?"
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Those Timebox tracks knocked me out when I first heard them. How could music of such high quality do nothing upon release? They did have a cover of 'Beggin' which I hear now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Still I think bands like Patto, Family, Traffic, early Humble Pie, Audience, Skin Alley and a few others actually represented a "third path" of possible developments in vintage progressive rock music - different from the ones established by King Crimson and Soft Machine. These forementioned groups always kept the "rock" card close to heart yet expanded into sometimes highly eclectic quarters of experimentation.
    Absolutely. My personal term for it is "art rock", but it is wholly progressive, and imho, has better longevity or maybe listen-ability than the KCs, Softs, etc, probably because it rocks.

What's the second path?

Absolutely. My personal term for it is "art rock", but it is wholly progressive, and imho, has better longevity or maybe listen-ability than the KCs, Softs, etc, probably because it rocks.

What's the second path?

It's the difference between "progressive rock" and "Prog Rock."
    The music was hot, but my baby was not.

What's the second path?
    First path: Softs and the development of "avantgarde progressive" through introduction of Zappa/Mothers, dada experimentation, jazz and contemporary composers, anti-generics etc. Loads of good music, some mediocre or patchy, and some outright bad.

Second path: Krims and the (obvious) development of sympho-lympho "prog" in which instrumental dispositions to some extent were installed through external artistic motives (as in "look what great players we are, all you lowlives!") rather than purely aesthetic ones. Much good music, loads of mediocre or tedious, a bit too much bad as well. Badass well.

Third path: mostly just quite great.

Loved this group. Ollie Halsall as a monster who never received the acclaim he deserved. IMO.

Couple of tracks from their 2nd album, I've had this on in the car for a few days, amazing, and I didn't put up Air Raid Shelter!