Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proof of the existence of a Multiverse

Proof of the existence of a Multiverse

I'm driving in my car when Q104.3, NY's classic rock station, finishes playing Scenes From An Italian Restaurant. Ok, not the standard Billy Joel song, but still one of their 1000 classic rock songs that they have been rotating for the last 30 years.

Then, the DJ says "it's time for Frank Zappa" and proceeds to play Joe's Garage.

WTF

I don't think I heard Zappa on terrestrial radio since Valley Girl back in 1984 or so.

I must be in an alternate universe. Although, Q104.3 corrected the timeline by quickly following Zappa with STP's Interstate Love Song. Damn, back in old universe. I preferred the alternate timeline.

I did pass a DeLorean on the road. Makes ya wonder.

Kind of like when 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' came on while eating at Applebees Restaurant.

I was really hoping to read about actual proof on a multiverse.

Oh well...
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I was really hoping to read about actual proof on a multiverse.

Oh well...
    Me too!

Anyway, I've heard Joe's Garage on that station before - as recently as last year, IIRC.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    There's still music on the radio?

That must be a good station. Once in the late 90s, I walked into a Tower records in Seattle and they were playing 'Rotters Club', and Silver Platters when they were in Southcenter used to play bands like Ere G, Satellite, Magenta and the Flower Kings, but that's hardly the same thing.

We need a multiverse to traverse to and from since this one's not all it should be

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    I don't think I heard Zappa on terrestrial radio since Valley Girl back in 1984 or so.
    So.... you mostly..

Listen to...

EXTRAterrestrial radio???

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    So.... you mostly..

Listen to...

EXTRAterrestrial radio???
    Ha, possibly, but I was referring to broadcast radio which is generally referred to, at least in the past, as terrestrial radio, as opposed to satellite (Sirius) or streaming.

Unfortunately, if the multiverse does exist, we'll never know. I'm just glad this one does, for the time being.

Unfortunately, if the multiverse does exist, we'll never know. I'm just glad this one does, for the time being.
    Physics guy here (in my past life and in my current life in an either countable or uncountable infinite number of universes).
    There should be strong evidence if quantum computers work.

Personally, I'm positive other universes exist, because I'm in one.

Prog question: which lyrics come closest to mentioning the multiverse seriously?

Personally, I'm positive other universes exist, because I'm in one
    One theory I like is that the Big Bang was actually the end point of a universe that had gone supernova.

First time I heard Yes was when I walked in to a record store in Victorville, CA and this amazing sound (the Devils Sermon part of Gates of Delirium) was playing. By the time the song had ended, I had bought the album.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    First time I heard Yes was when I walked in to a record store in Victorville, CA and this amazing sound (the Devils Sermon part of Gates of Delirium) was playing. By the time the song had ended, I had bought the album.
    Good story.

The only time that happened to me was when I walked into a record store and asked "Who is this?" and the clerk replied "Dream Theater" I didn't buy it until I was in Thailand on a layover and picked up a cassette of Images and Words, what I heard in the store. I liked them, but a little less each record. I stopped at Six Degrees of Separation

Suspended
    Who are STP?

Have we always had station id's that started with Q? I always thought there were just W's and K's, or at least I think that's what I thought. Maybe I've known this but just didn't realize it.

I heard Russ Ballard's Voices the other day. Hadn't heard that one in a while but I think Zappa is a little more rare so you got me beat. At least when terrestrial radio is concerned, as I've never heard Zappa on there, anywhere.

Oh, and STP should be Stone Temple Pilots. At least, those initials match up but there could be another band that matches. I don't know that tune by name, at least.

STP = Stone Temple Pilots.

You prog guys have to get out more.

Note - Interstate Love Song is 20 years old (released in 1994). When I started listening to prog (1977), albums like CTTE and Foxtrot were only five years old, which at the time, seemed like an eternity. Now, songs 20 years old seem like they were released yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I don't know that tune by name, at least.
    You've heard it. It's the song by them that gets played to death that isn't "Plush". It's very possible that casual listeners have never realized they are two different songs.

At least you probably didn't have to play and sing it in a bar band!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

My campus radio station pretty much plays indie/folk/singer-songwriter stuff but has a nice Grateful Dead/Allman Bros type show on Saturday nights. One night they played Marqueson’s Chicken (Zappa Them Or Us). Its probably the last time I heard Zappa on the radio. This was maybe 7 or 8 years ago.

As far as proof the multiverse goes, just get a cat, put it in a box with a geiger counter, a small piece of radioactive material, a hammer which is triggered by the geiger counter, and a vial of poison. Wait one hour and open the box. If you have both a live and a dead cat, you'll know...

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    If you have both a live and a dead cat, you'll know...
    No no, observation will put the cat in a definite state. You just don't know which as long as the lid is closed. That's my understanding anyway.

Suspended
    STP = Stone Temple Pilots.

You prog guys have to get out more.

Note - Interstate Love Song is 20 years old (released in 1994).
    Two things about this (and don't worry, I'm not taking this too seriously). Firstly, I could probably have figured out who STP were if I thought long enough about it, but they don't commonly get referred to by their initials here. Maybe they do if you move in certain circles.

Secondly, I've observed many times that whatcommon on the airwaves in one country may not be in another. I often see comments like such=and-such a song being flogged on the radio, and i think "I've heard it on radio once, maybe twice."

Now that I think about it, I believe I heard it once on Alice Cooper's radio show - which of course originates from the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Have we always had station id's that started with Q? I always thought there were just W's and K's, or at least I think that's what I thought. Maybe I've known this but just didn't realize it.
    All U.S. broadcast TV and radio stations have call letters that start with a W or a K, with those west of the Mississippi generally getting the "K." The Q is probably an abbreviated part of the call letters. We have a "Q104.5" out here in Seattle, but the call letters are KMCQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    All U.S. broadcast TV and radio stations have call letters that start with a W or a K, with those west of the Mississippi generally getting the "K." The Q is probably an abbreviated part of the call letters. We have a "Q104.5" out here in Seattle, but the call letters are KMCQ.
    Yeah, that's why I was confused there. I've probably seen it before just never thought about it. There aren't any here that I know of but I only know a few of them to be honest.

As for STP, I don't know the names of the few tunes I've heard as I can't stand them. One of those bands that bore me silly. Much of the new hard rock/heavy metal bands of the last quarter century fall into that category so that's not a shock. The stuff on the radio is what I'm referring to. I know there's good stuff out there I just haven't looked for it. I'm more into the proggy side of metal and those bands don't get played on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    No no, observation will put the cat in a definite state. You just don't know which as long as the lid is closed. That's my understanding anyway.
    You are correct, one cat will be in one universe, one in another, I was just trying to be funny by saying you would have a living and a dead cat. Unless we can find a way to travel between universes, I don't know that we would ever be able to develop proof that the multiverse exists. I guess theoretical physics might come up with some ugly mathematical proof for it but most of us wouldn't understand it, we'd just have to take the physicists word that it is a legitimate proof.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Kind of like when 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' came on while eating at Applebees Restaurant.
    I have even heard Suppers Ready after midnight on chicago's rock stations.
    The Path is Clear

In my universe, STP still stands for the same thing it did when I was a kid...stinky toilet paper.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    In my universe, STP still stands for the same thing it did when I was a kid...stinky toilet paper.
    And I always thought it was a brand of motor oil.