Thread: Dirk Quinn Band?

Dirk Quinn Band?

Just discovered, via Pandora, this 5-piece band from Philadelphia. Guitarist Quinn is joined by a trumpeter, organist, bass & drums and it's a very varied setlist -- part fusion, part funk, part rock instrumentals with occasional 'skronky' guitar that could pass for metal. I've been playing the piss out of their 2nd disc "Quinntet" for two days now. Can't get enough of it!

They are very good but I wouldn't call them prog although I can definitely see them appealing to a lot of prog fans the same way someone like Weather Report or Return to Forever might. I have seen them live. I also spoke to Dirk and some of the band members. I actually know about them because I first heard of them when they played across the street from where I used to live(about two years ago). They stood out for me because they were very fusiony and I'm not used to hearing that kind of stuff in public. They are mostly instrumental and play a combination of rock, jazz and funk. I even saw them on tv once. Anyway I am on their mailing list and now that I live a stones throw from Philly plan on seeing them again although they definitely seem to play all over. Thanks for starting a thread about them. It's about time they get some attention from prog fans.

I decided they probably ARE prog, because of the heavily-composed sections between the solos. Some pretty tricky rhythms and -- for fusion -- not much "soloing over a vamp."

Plus, the trumpeter plays real steel drums on one track.