Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PROG Awards 2014: Winners

PROG Awards 2014: Winners

1)Limelight: Messenger
    2)Live Event: Rick Wakeman, Journey To The Centre Of The Earth 40th Anniversary Tour.
    3)Breakthrough Artist: Syd Arthur
    4)Anthem: Anathema, Anathema
    5)The Storm Thorgerson Grand Design Award: Fish, A Feast Of Consequences Box Set.
    6)Album Of The Year: Transatlantic, Kaleidoscope
    7)Band/Artist Of The Year: Dream Theater
    8)Outer Limits: Uriah Heep - Band
    9)Virtuoso: Arjen Lucassen
    10)Guiding Light: Sonja Kristina
    11)Visionary: Robert John Godfrey
    12)Lifetime Achievement: Andrew Latimer
    13)Prog God: Peter Gabriel

...seems Gabriel was actually there to accept! As usual, I don't agree with many of the winners, but hey, that's the way it goes.
    www.velvetthunder.co.uk - From the ashes of the Classic Rock Society rises Velvet Thunder!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Happy for Mark Wilkinson and Fish - they sweated over that package.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I didn't need to know that.

Oh wait - what did you mean?
    www.velvetthunder.co.uk - From the ashes of the Classic Rock Society rises Velvet Thunder!

Looks like the "Prog Awards" jumped the shark. What a wretched list of "winners."

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice to see Syd Arthur, Andy Latimer & Robert John Godfrey get recognized but seriously RIO '13 kicked Wakeman's arse for top live event.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Hmm... I hadn't heard of Messenger, but after googling them they actually sound kind of interesting. Similar territory to Syd Arthur it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    RIO '13 kicked Wakeman's arse for top live event.
    Absolutely not!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Absolutely not!!
    Please elaborate. Absolutely not!!? Absolutely not!!? Absolutely not!!? NOT!!? NOT!!?

Please feel free to go through the details of the RIO '13, with perspectives on the differing acts and their historical backgrounds, aesthetic representation and so forth; then evalute with meticulous insight on the variables of judgment. Did you meet any associates at RIO '13?

Really anticipating your report from that event.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm really happy for Syd Arthur, great music.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Looks like the "Prog Awards" jumped the shark. What a wretched list of "winners."
    I wouldn't say that regarding Latimer winning a lifetime award. Its a nice sentiment for a man who had to battle back from near death and someone who has given us such great music through his career.

As for the rest of the winners, no comment.

Prog God is really like Lifetime Achievment Except We Expect Them To Still Put Out A Few Albums. So not undeserved for Gabriel, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Absolutely not!!
    Well I got to see Present, Guapo, Mirthkon, Cheer-Accident, & Faust who were all bucket list bands for me plus Univers Zero for the second time (third if you count Once Upon A Time In Belgium), who are probably my favorite band and the great bands Aranis, Poil, Korekyojinn & maybe the surprise of the festival for me, Panzerpappa. So it was three days of stunning music and fun for me. Not much has surpassed that in the last 5 years.
    Ian

There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by dpt3 View Post
    Hmm... I hadn't heard of Messenger, but after googling them they actually sound kind of interesting. Similar territory to Syd Arthur it seems.
    Messenger are way better.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Covered by BBC News website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29159619

I'm unclear what the difference between "Guiding Light", "Visionary", "Lifetime Achievement" and "Prog God" is: looks like a way to spread awards around so you get lots of big names turning up!

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

After receiving his award from comedian Bill Bailey, Gabriel said: "Despite prog probably being the most derided musical genre of all time there were - as today - a lot of extraordinary musicians trying to break down the barriers to reject the rules of music."

He told the BBC backstage that he was "a lot more comfortable" with the prog label now than earlier in his career.

Peter Gabriel on the Kate Bush show: "I love the boldness of the ambition"
    "It was genuinely pioneering at time. We didn't always get it right, but when it did work we could move people and get some magic happening.

"I see it all as a very healthy part of growing up."

Well, one thing this award ceremony made me do was finally pick up the Messenger album which I meant to buy for months but always something else got 'in the way'. Playing it now and really love the whole vibe of it. Reminds me a bit of a more folky Astra (the US band that has two albums out on Rise Above Records).

For me prog god of the year is Ian Anderson. He released a wonderful album.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    For me prog god of the year is Ian Anderson. He released a wonderful album.
    He already got that award last year.

I love PG getting the award and I love Anathema's self-titled track. They're a band that doesn't get enough attention in these parts. I don't know if it's because they're not really prog in the traditional sense (not too many odd-times, flashy keyboards, etc) or because their marketing isn't too good, but I will bring this up every time I see them mentioned. And good for Andy Latimer. I'm not much of a Camel fan (I like a few albums) but knowing what he's battled through makes it worth it.

As for the rest of the list...ho-hum.

Kudos, to Jerry and his team for putting on yet another of the skwankiest yearly event in prog! Some of you can pick at the choices but can you throw a party as groovy?

I have doubts.

Looks like a good party and good PR
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by KELLY WELSH View Post
    That'll do, Prog God.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Covered by BBC News website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29159619

I'm unclear what the difference between "Guiding Light", "Visionary", "Lifetime Achievement" and "Prog God" is: looks like a way to spread awards around so you get lots of big names turning up!

Henry
    Yeah, they have fill a whole evening and don't have categories like Urban, Latin, World, Jazz, Classical, Soundtrack, etc. But yes, some of those award names are kind of meaningless and redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I didn't need to know that.

Oh wait - what did you mean?
    They had to slide it into the "slipcase" over and over again.