Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roxy Music

Roxy Music

Listening to The Complete Studio Recordings boxset, which was waiting for me when I got home from Albany this morning. So I've only listened to the two bonus discs of singles and B-sides, because I wanted to hear the single version of Angel Eyes. I guess I'm going to work this backwards, starting with Avalon and then preceding in reverse order from there. That way, at least according to some, the records will get better as I make progress (though personally, I always liked the singles off the last three albums, so I'm looking forward to enjoying those too).

I got this when it was released a few years ago and still don't feel like I've digested it all (I had only heard the first two albums prior to purchasing this). Roxy were a great band.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Definitely love Roxy Music. If I recall correctly, after Fripp disbanded Crimso in Sept '74 Wetton joined Roxy for a tour. Anyone else able to confirm this? I had a great vinyl boot of Roxy's '75 tour called "Champagne and Novocaine" and I'm pretty sure Wetton and Jobson are both on it.
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Gong to see Brian Ferry in a few weeks in Montreal. I heard he plays a ton of Roxy.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Definitely love Roxy Music. If I recall correctly, after Fripp disbanded Crimso in Sept '74 Wetton joined Roxy for a tour. Anyone else able to confirm this? I had a great vinyl boot of Roxy's '75 tour called "Champagne and Novocaine" and I'm pretty sure Wetton and Jobson are both on it.
    Don't even need a boot. Wetton and Jobson are both on an official live Roxy album.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Definitely love Roxy Music. If I recall correctly, after Fripp disbanded Crimso in Sept '74 Wetton joined Roxy for a tour.
    Wetton was on the Country Life tour of 1974-75, as well as Bryan Ferry's 1977 solo tour.

Roxy Music is damn good. I like the beginning and the end best--the glammy albums with Eno (and don't forget the excellent Pyjamarama single) and some of the late albums like Manifesto and Avalon.

Strangely enough, supposedly Eno's favorite Roxy album was Stranded (the first album after his departure/sacking).

The live version of "Out of the Blue" with Wetton on bass and Jobson on keys from Viva is pretty damn great.

But "More than This" is still their best song by a country mile

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I saw them in early 1975 and wouldn't trade the experience for anything. They were that good. I own most of their albums more than once, on account of the music format moving on. There are not many bands I would do that for. But my inflatable doll insisted.

"In every dream home a heartache
    And every step I take
    Takes me further from heaven
    Is there a heaven'
    I`d like to think so
    Standards of living
    They're rising daily
    But home oh sweet home
    It's only a saying
    From bell push to faucet
    In smart town apartment
    The cottage is pretty
    The main house a palace
    Penthouse perfection
    But what goes on
    What to do there
    Better pray there
    Open plan living
    Bungalow ranch style
    All of its comforts
    Seem so essential
    I bought you mail order
    My plain wrapper baby
    Your skin is like vinyl
    The perfect companion
    You float my new pool
    De luxe and delightful
    Inflatable doll
    My role is to serve you
    Disposable darling
    Can't throw you away now
    Immortal and life size
    My breath is inside you
    I'll dress you up daily
    And keep you till death sighs
    Inflatable doll
    Lover ungrateful
    I blew up your body
    But you blew my mind
    Oh Those Heartaches
    Dreamhome Heartaches" - Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    Strangely enough, supposedly Eno's favorite Roxy album was Stranded (the first album after his departure/sacking).
    On Wikipedia, it says that he was quite fond of both that one and Country Life.

The live version of "Out of the Blue" with Wetton on bass and Jobson on keys from Viva is pretty damn great.
    Alas, Viva is NOT in the boxset. I guess I'll have to get that on it's own.

But "More than This" is still their best song by a country mile
    I've certainly always liked it. At work, they insist on playing (or at least they did a few months ago, I haven't paid attention enough lately to know if it's still in rotation) the mediocre 10,000 Maniacs version of that song. I keep thinking, "they should be playing the Roxy Music version!".
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 09-12-2014 at 04:59 AM.

The first ones I got into were the first two albums. Both are still two of the best albums of the era and still otherworldly. The other three of their first period are also mostly strong, as is the live album 'Viva'...one of very few live albums I wish were longer, they were a heavier band live.

The 1979-82 comeback, I view like later Genesis- good on its own merit, but not as magical or, to use a more fitting word, transcendent as they used to be. Virtually a different thing altogether and certainly slicker. Most of the first side of 1979's 'Manifesto' and 'Spin Me Round' are like the old Roxy, though.

Mozo, is that Bryan Ferry tour the one where he's doing 1920s versions of his back catalogue called 'The Jazz Age'? That's what he was doing the last time he was here...I think. Thought I'd throw out a 'caveat emptor' just to check that!

qft. Wetton's bass along with Jobson's keys - and especially Eddie's killer violin solo starting at 3:18 or so of this video - make this one of my favorite Roxy Music tunes:

1. Manifesto - 79 (that was when I first started hearing their singles on the radio and started to like them)
    2. Avalon - 82
    3. Roxy Music -72
    4. Country Life -74

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    But my inflatable doll insisted.
    "In Every Dream Home a Heartache" by Melvins and Jello Biafra. (Probably not everyone's cuppa here.)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Mozo, is that Bryan Ferry tour the one where he's doing 1920s versions of his back catalogue called 'The Jazz Age'? That's what he was doing the last time he was here...I think. Thought I'd throw out a 'caveat emptor' just to check that!
    I don't think Ferry toured the Jazz Age stuff. His current tour is in his usual rock band format, and when I saw him last May, 75% of the set was Roxy Music material.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    qft. Wetton's bass along with Jobson's keys - and especially Eddie's killer violin solo starting at 3:18 or so of this video - make this one of my favorite Roxy Music tunes:
    Very nice, too bad Manzanara got mixed out. Country Life is one of my favorites. Out of the Blue and Prairie Rose, and The Thrill of it All are worth the price of admission.
    We will see Brian Ferry on 9/28 in DC. Really looking forward to it.

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I don't think Ferry toured the Jazz Age stuff. His current tour is in his usual rock band format, and when I saw him last May, 75% of the set was Roxy Music material.
    He did here, he may not be doing so in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The first ones I got into were the first two albums. Both are still two of the best albums of the era and still otherworldly. The other three of their first period are also mostly strong.
    +1. Caught them in a club in early '73 and again in mid-74. A weird little group and Ferry is, of course, brilliant.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post

Fantastic...thanks for posting! Out of the Blue with Wetton is great though my fave song from this tour and the Champagne and Novocaine boot is Mother of Pearl
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Listening to Manifesto right now. Good record, but, and I realize this is probably heresy to some, but I prefer the "disco" version of Angel Eyes over the "rock" version that was on the album. Dammit, they made exactly the same "mistake" The Beatles made with Revolution a decade earlier.

Big fan here, I may look into getting this box set, the reviews say the sound is good, plus the bonus discs look like they are worth having. I saw Bryan Ferry a while back on the Mamouna tour, he had Robin Trower on guitar for that tour, it was a great show, they played a lot of Roxy stuff, including In Every Dreamhome a Heartache.

Never a Roxy fan, but I did drool over the covers on their albums
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I listened to Siren when it was released, but didn't "get" it by then. But I loved Viva! from the start. I bought this boxset when it was released and after a few months I found a second-hand copy of the book The Thrill Of It All-The Story Of Bryan Ferry & Roxy Music by David Buckley. It was fun reading the book and listening to the records at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Never a Roxy fan, but I did drool over the covers on their albums
    The Ohio Players had better album covers.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The main reason I bought the Ferry tickets is because I read on PE that 75 percent of the show (exactly what I read) was Roxy. Say it ain't so?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks for posting the video of "Out Of the Blue," Dan. Brings back memories of the concert I saw. The transparent violin was the same one Jobson played when I saw Roxy Music.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973