Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roxy Music

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Gong to see Brian Ferry in a few weeks in Montreal. I heard he plays a ton of Roxy.
    My wife and I will be there! Very much looking forward to this. The DVD from the "Olympia" tour I recently got has only whetted my appetite further.

Brilliant band. Conceptually playful/interesting/ahead of their time too.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The main reason I bought the Ferry tickets is because I read on PE that 75 percent of the show (exactly what I read) was Roxy. Say it ain't so?
    From an April show:

Re-Make/Re-Model (Roxy Music song)
    Kiss and Tell
    Slave to Love
    Same Old Blues (J.J. Cale cover)
    Ladytron (Roxy Music song)
    If There Is Something (Roxy Music song)
    Stronger Through the Years (Roxy Music song)
    More Than This (Roxy Music song)
    Avalon (Roxy Music song)
    In Every Dream Home a Heartache (Roxy Music song)
    Love Is the Drug (Roxy Music song)
    Virginia Plain (Roxy Music song)
    Both Ends Burning (Roxy Music song)
    Editions of You (Roxy Music song)
    Jealous Guy

^Pretty hard to argue with that! 'Jealous Guy' was done by them as well, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Thanks for posting the video of "Out Of the Blue," Dan. Brings back memories of the concert I saw. The transparent violin was the same one Jobson played when I saw Roxy Music.
    If I remember correctly, Jobson also played the clear violin on the 2nd UK tour (as the 3 piece) in '79 opening for Tull
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    From an April show:

Re-Make/Re-Model (Roxy Music song)
    Kiss and Tell
    Slave to Love
    Same Old Blues (J.J. Cale cover)
    Ladytron (Roxy Music song)
    If There Is Something (Roxy Music song)
    Stronger Through the Years (Roxy Music song)
    More Than This (Roxy Music song)
    Avalon (Roxy Music song)
    In Every Dream Home a Heartache (Roxy Music song)
    Love Is the Drug (Roxy Music song)
    Virginia Plain (Roxy Music song)
    Both Ends Burning (Roxy Music song)
    Editions of You (Roxy Music song)
    Jealous Guy
    Perfect.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    My wife and I will be there! Very much looking forward to this. The DVD from the "Olympia" tour I recently got has only whetted my appetite further.
    Excellent! Enjoy the show.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    If I remember correctly, Jobson also played the clear violin on the 2nd UK tour (as the 3 piece) in '79 opening for Tull
    Yes, and on his tour as a member of Tull. I have a recording of one of those shows at which Anderson introduces, "...and on keyboards and see-through violin, Eddie Jobson, or as we like to call him, Eddie-baby!"
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Yes, and on his tour as a member of Tull. I have a recording of one of those shows at which Anderson introduces, "...and on keyboards and see-through violin, Eddie Jobson, or as we like to call him, Eddie-baby!"
    Cool. I have a '76 Tull boot where Ian introduces "our new bass player, Mr John Glascock...or as he's become known to about 30 young ladies in the past 20 days, old BrittleDick...you see it just keeps coming off in his hands"...gotta love Ian's audience banter
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Cool. I have a '76 Tull boot where Ian introduces "our new bass player, Mr John Glascock...or as he's become known to about 30 young ladies in the past 20 days, old BrittleDick...you see it just keeps coming off in his hands"...gotta love Ian's audience banter
    My favorite is on 20 Years Of Jethro Tull, where he says "Yes, we do take requests, what would you like to hear?", the entire audience calls out "THICK AS A BRICK!", and Ian sighs and says "Just as well, it's the other one we know", and launches into a truncated arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    My favorite is on 20 Years Of Jethro Tull, where he says "Yes, we do take requests, what would you like to hear?", the entire audience calls out "THICK AS A BRICK!", and Ian sighs and says "Just as well, it's the other one we know", and launches into a truncated arrangement.
    Ya, on that same '76 boot while he's introducing the truncated TaaB he begins the acoustic intro and the crowd goes nuts. He stops and says, "Oh yes, how could you fail to recognize that? It is of course the very famous Led Zeppelin song 'Whole Lotta Brick'" Then he does that Whole Lotta Love riff and morphs it into the TaaB intro.

The funniest Ian speech on that boot is when he introduces Barriemore Barlow. Barrie stands up to the audience cheers and Ian comments (paraphrased) "You may notice Barriemore Barlow is wearing a fantastic Scottish kilt. He was wearing it the other day at band practice and I inquired as to what type of undergarments he would be wearing to keep his private and quite naughty bits from your gaze. He told me to lift it up and have a look. So I did, and let me tell you...it was gruesome. And as I looked at it, it grew some more"

Definitely love Roxy Music. If I recall correctly, after Fripp disbanded Crimso in Sept '74 Wetton joined Roxy for a tour. Anyone else able to confirm this? I had a great vinyl boot of Roxy's '75 tour called "Champagne and Novocaine" and I'm pretty sure Wetton and Jobson are both on it.
    I saw them back in the 70's, but couldn't tell you who was in the band.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Been listening lots of Roxy Music lately. What a wonderful and unique band they were at their best!

I would rate their albums like this:

1. Stranded (1973) ****½
    2. Four Your Pleasure (1973) ****½
    3. Country Life (1974) ****½
    4. s/t (1972) ***½
    5. Siren (1975) ***½
    6. Avalon (1982) ***
    7. Flesh + Blood (1980) **½
    8. Manifesto (1979) **½
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I love the first two albums - and after all these years they still sound fresh and very hard to describe or categorize. I get a strong VDGG vibe at places, possibly because of the sax-oboe/keys interplay or Ferry's frantic performance (another predecessor is Family's Chapman in my opinion). But they were definitely eclectic as hell, and not averse to trying anything musically - the journey from song to song in those first two albums is full of chasms and surprises.

They were quite a solid band during the 70's, and somehow escaped the horrible label of progressive rock which could/would have ruined their career. But for me Roxy Music and For Your Pleasure definitely fall into whatever I understand as progressive rock.

Amazon is running a special 1 for 21 on the 1974 live archival release from Amazon. Act now!

1EB2A61D-8CEC-4BA4-AAA9-94B82A4CC7C8.jpg
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

^ Those copies are no good--they're printed upside-down!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

Released today, AFAIK.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    ^ Those copies are no good--they're printed upside-down!
    Ach. Taking pictures and posting them on the Internet be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Amazon is running a special 1 for 21 on the 1974 live archival release from Amazon. Act now!

1EB2A61D-8CEC-4BA4-AAA9-94B82A4CC7C8.jpg
    I must be using the wrong search term, because it ain't coming up at any price.

Well I’ve got 21 extra copies I can sell ya ...

(Before anyone asks, I’m sending them back to whatever warehouse they’ll certainly die in.)

https://www.amazon.com/Live-Royal-Al...n+feery&sr=8-1

Ah, that's what threw me. Titled under Bryan Ferry.

Wetton is all over Viva live...You can also see him on you tube : "Out of the blue'

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kayfabe58 View Post
    Wetton is all over Viva live...
    Probably my favorite Roxy release.
    3 of the 8 tracks don't feature Wetton, though.

Quote Originally Posted by kayfabe58 View Post
    Wetton is all over Viva live...You can also see him on you tube : "Out of the blue'
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Probably my favorite Roxy release.
    3 of the 8 tracks don't feature Wetton, though.
    Viva! is also my favorite Roxy Music-album, so I was interested to hear some more live-music from this period. Gossip (I guess not an very official label) just released "The Thrill Of It All", from a live FM Broadcast recorded at Calderone Concert Hall, Hemstead, New York on March 8th 1976. Great setlist with a lot of tracks that weren't played (recorded) during the Viva!-days:

1. "Sentimental Fool"
    2. "The Thrill Of It All"
    3. "Love Is The Drug"
    4. "Mother Of Pearl"
    5. "Bitter Sweet"
    6. "Out Of The Blue"
    7. "Whirlwind"
    8. "Sea Breezes"
    9. "Both Ends Burning"
    10. "For Your Pleasure"
    11. "Diamond Head"
    12. "Wild Weekend"
    The quality is quite good, lively audience of course (always the case with Roxy), but the sound of the music is fine. Some lovely Mellotron and violin by Jobson too!

The full set-list of the 1974 Newcastle show much of Viva! was drawn from is around. I don't know if some dubious no-name label has put it out by now.