Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Under the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    It's funny, I have the live album but not the studio album. I vaguely remember their NF performance but from what I do recall they weren't bad. I think audience reaction and attendance was probably similar to Enchant(who I do like).
    I did get the live one and it was a nice stroll down memory lane.

Haven't listened to these two in a while to be honest, but maybe I'll pull one or both of them out this weekend.

I was hoping to find a thread like this.
    Pulled the UTS album off the shelf the other day after some time, and it still excites me. Solid release. Too bad it was the only one, and I'm saddened to read about Chris. Hope things have turned for the better.

I was also put in mind of how voraciously I consumed everything I could coming out of Magna Carta back then. I still have a handful of those releases and enjoy them.
    When I originally heard Dali's Dilemma I kind of brushed them off as a DT clone, as there were so many trying to hop on the wagon at the time. Maybe there was a bit of that, but I forced myself to listen to them more and I became a fan of what they had underneath. Nothing new, but something fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    This song came up on shuffle today and I really enjoyed hearing it again. It is a demo of a song called Songlight recorded about ten years ago. I had never played the song before recording it, and it was pretty funny because Chris was conducting me as I was laying down my drum part. Definitely in the early Rush vein a la 2112 and Fountain of Lamneth with some Yes mysticism thrown in.

https://soundcloud.com/drum_and_drummer/songlight
    I like this a lot! As soon as Chris comes in it feels like a UTS song. I can definitely hear the Rush influence throughout. A nice kind of refreshing tone to it all. That's one thing about UTS that drew me to them, there was a very uplifting feel to the songs. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    We found Chris about a year ago and with help from friends and family got him into rehab again. He was looking great and playing guitar again and there was talk of reviving UTS although I wasn't sure about getting involved again personally. He met up with Kurt the bassist and relapsed and hasn't been seen since. He looks great in this picture that was taken last Nov compared to when I first saw the previous spring. Hopefully, he can fully recover at some point, but it really comes down to him.
    Attachment 4186
    I'm really glad to hear that Chris is getting help - always such a sad thing to see someone with so much talent destroying themselves. UTS IMO was one of the best prog bands to come out - just loved them! Hopefully we'll get a chance at a UTS revival!

Edit: I just re-read your post ...for some reason I didn't catch the part about Chris' relapse....must have been tired when I read it. May God help him find his way back.
    Last edited by echolynfan; 07-10-2015 at 07:07 AM.
    echolynfan

Romans 8:28: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    I like this a lot! As soon as Chris comes in it feels like a UTS song. I can definitely hear the Rush influence throughout. A nice kind of refreshing tone to it all. That's one thing about UTS that drew me to them, there was a very uplifting feel to the songs. Thanks for sharing.
    Cool! Glad you like it. It really is a nice piece of music, even if my drum parts are rudimentary. Still haven't heard from Chris in a while. Fly on my friend...
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/