Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw The Eagles Monday Night

Saw The Eagles Monday Night

I Saw The Eagles at Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids MI Monday night. I know for many people here The Eagles are the anti-Christ of progressive rock, but I am one of those strange people who can within the same week see a band like Necromonkey at ProgDay and a band like The Eagles and enjoy them both for different reasons.

The current Eagles tour is being billed as “The History Of The Eagles” and that is pretty much how the show is preseented (especially the first half). The current lineup consists of Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Bernie Louden, Timothy B. Schmidt and Joe Walsh (along with several back up musicians). The show started with just Henley and Frey on acoustic guitars doing “Whatever Happened To Saturday Night” from the band’s first album. Louden joined next with Schmidt and Walsh coming out one by one for each subsequent song. Walsh got a huge ovation when he walked on stage as they did an updated funky version of “Witchy Woman”. From there they did tunes pretty much in chronological order up through the intermission. The second half of the show was pulled mostly from “Hotel California” and “The Long Run” with only one song post 1980 when Schmidt sang “Love Will Keep Us Alive” from “Hell Freezes Over”. They also let Walsh loose on a couple of his solo / James Gang hits which brought down the house. Vocally they sounded really good for the most part. Frey and Henley’s voices seemed a little bit strained at the beginning, but improved over the course of the night. Schmidt, Louden and Walsh sound like they always have. The 5 part vocal harmonies are still incredible and especially knocked it out of the park on the last song before the intermission “Take It To The Limit”. Instrumentally they were very tight, with Walsh as good as ever on guitar. The Don Felder parts were mostly handled by a sideman (can’t remember his name off the top of my head), and Bernie Louden got in some really impressive more country oriented licks as well. I was a little bit disappointed that they did not do anything from the “Long Road Out Of Eden” album, which I like, and they skipped my all-time favorite Eagles song “The Last Resort”, but overall the set list was pretty good. I especially enjoyed the tracks from “Desperado”. All in all it was a very enjoyable 3.5 hour show (with intermission).
    Here is the set list:

SATURDAY NIGHT (Henley & Frey acoustic)
    TRAIN LEAVES HERE THIS MORNING (Louden, Henley, Frey acoustic)
    PEACEFULL EASY FEELING (Louden, Henley, Frey, Schmidt, acoustic)
    WITCHY WOMAN (Louden, Henley, Frey, Schmidt, Walsh semi-acoustic)
    TEQUILA SUNRISE (full band for the rest of the show)
    DOOLIN DALTON
    DESPERADO REPRISE
    ALREADY GONE
    BEST OF MY LOVE
    LYIN EYES
    ONE OF THESE NIGHTS
    TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT

(INTERMISSION)

PRETTY MAIDS ALL IN A ROW
    I CAN’T TELL YOU WHY
    NEW KID IN TOWN
    LOVE WILL KEEP US ALIVE
    HEARTACHE TONIGHT
    THOSE SHOES
    IN THE CITY
    LIFE’S BEEN GOOD
    THE LONG RUN
    FUNK 49
    LIFE IN THE FAST LANE

ENCORE 1:

HOTEL CALIFORNIA

ENCORE 2:

TAKE IT EASY
    ROCKY MOUNTAIN WAY
    DESPERADO

I like 'em and would see 'em again in a heartbeat!

Suspended
    They began the concert with their best song!

I'm in the camp that preferred them before they recruited Joe Walsh. He changed their sound quite a lot - more funk, reggae and blues influence. Some would say that was for the better, but I wouldn't. Having said that, it looks as though I would have enjoyed most of the concert, though I would have been frustrated at not having The Last Resort, or Journey of the Sorceror.

Great review of a great band...however...

1.) The man's name is Bernie Leadon...NOT Louden.
    2.) "Whatever Happened To Saturday Night" is NOT from the band's first album...it's from their 2nd. Great tune indeed!
    3.) The 2nd half of the show consists on the same (boring) set the band has been doing for MANY years...and it's gotten very cliche by now.

A quick Google search would have avoided these errors...LOL.

I've seen the band many times...actually they and Dan Fogelberg as the opener (RIP) were my first concert EVER...back in 1975 right before "One Of These Nights" was released. They were a much fresher and better band back then...including Mr. Leadon...and without Joe Walsh. Not to take away from your enjoyment...as they say...your mileage may vary.

I'm glad you had a good time.

Suspended
    I also picked up the mistake re Bernie leadon, but refrained from comment.

I do have a question though. How does he pronounce his surname? I had always pronounced it with a long 'e', i.e. the "lead" to rhyme with "need" or "breed", but I heard an interview somewhere in which the person called it as though it were "Leaden", i.e. "lead" rhyning with "bed".

Before he was part of the Eagles, he did session work including working on an album with my hero Bob Lind. Lind claimed that Bernie was the only one of the musicians there who was not stoned or drunk for most of the recording sessions.

From his WIKI..."Leadon (pronounced "led-un")".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Leadon

BTW, I failed to mention that tickets for the 1975 show (general admission) cost $6.50. Yes...six dollars and fifty cents...this is not a typo...hahaha! Look at the ticket prices today!!! The band has come a LONG way since those days...or have they?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post

BTW, I failed to mention that tickets for the 1975 show (general admission) cost $6.50. Yes...six dollars and fifty cents...this is not a typo...hahaha! Look at the ticket prices today!!! The band has come a LONG way since those days...or have they?
    I was trying to recall the admission price for the show in 1975 at Wembley (London). I thought it was around 6 pounds but looking at comments from people who were there they seem to be quoting 3.50 pounds! (I can't do the pound symbol.) Now this is for an all-day concert featuring (in reverse order of appearance): Elton John, The Beach Boys, The Eagles, Joe Walsh (who had yet to join the Eagles), Rufus featuring Chaka Khan, and Stackridge.This is undoubtedly the best concert bargain I ever snared in my life. You would pay substantially more these days just for a souvenir poster or program of that concert, than the admission price of the concert itself.

This was, I read, just before Bernie Leadon quit the Eagles, and it was where they met Joe Walsh.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I was trying to recall the admission price for the show in 1975 at Wembley (London). I thought it was around 6 pounds but looking at comments from people who were there they seem to be quoting 3.50 pounds! (I can't do the pound symbol.) Now this is for an all-day concert featuring (in reverse order of appearance): Elton John, The Beach Boys, The Eagles, Joe Walsh (who had yet to join the Eagles), Rufus featuring Chaka Khan, and Stackridge.This is undoubtedly the best concert bargain I ever snared in my life. You would pay substantially more these days just for a souvenir poster or program of that concert, than the admission price of the concert itself.

This was, I read, just before Bernie Leadon quit the Eagles, and it was where they met Joe Walsh.
    I was also there that day and it was a very good concert, albeit a bit strange in that the supposed "top of the bill" (Elton John) was, IMO, fourth best. This was due to his set which started with Funeral For a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding (which was fine) but then carried on with a complete run through of Captain Fantastic and ended with a 15 or 20 minute version of Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting. Captain Fantastic had only just come out and I hadn't yet listened to it. It's now my favourite album of his (although Madman runs it close) but to sit there and hear so much new music wasn't what I wanted that day.
    The Beach Boys were superb, The Eagles had just released One Of These Nights and played quite a lot of it and Joe Walsh was great as well.
    All in all a good day.

I think it is unfortunate that Randy Meisner hasn't been part of their resurgence. "Try and Love Again" is one of my favorite songs.

Outlaw Man used to be a staple way back when. Desperado was my favorite of theirs. Really surprised to see Bernie back with them. But I can never forgive them for treating Felder like an old boot. Frey and Henley are total assholes and I'd never pay the extortionate prices they charge for tickets. It's unfortunate as I was a huge fan of the early Eagles.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

My wife is taking me to their Boston concert. I never was a fan. A worthless college roommate wouldn't take their LPs off of MY turntable! I have no problem never hearing the Eagles or Jackson Brown ever again.

But a concert can change your perspective.

BTW: 1 ticket was $175. We're sitting in a section where portable O2 is recommended.

In November I'm taking my wife to see Steve Hackett. 15 rows back... center... $45.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    My wife is taking me to their Boston concert. I never was a fan. A worthless college roommate wouldn't take their LPs off of MY turntable! I have no problem never hearing the Eagles or Jackson Brown ever again.
    It's your right not to like Jackson Browne, but at least give the man some respect by spelling his name correctly!

I've seen Jackson Browne in concert too, and it was one of the better concerts out of those I've been to. He was on a triple bill with Maria Muldaur and The Little River Band, who pulled out at the last minute - I never forgave them for that. Anyway, JB gave the impression he was just enjoying himself as opposed to just doing his job, and he went way overtime. this was just before he did the Running On Empty album, with The Loadout/Stay, and that concert gave the song some credibility - he really did seem to enjoy playing, and liked to carry on until he had to practically get carted off the stage.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 09-11-2014 at 10:29 AM.

Great review of a great band...however...

1.) The man's name is Bernie Leadon...NOT Louden.
    2.) "Whatever Happened To Saturday Night" is NOT from the band's first album...it's from their 2nd. Great tune indeed!
    3.) The 2nd half of the show consists on the same (boring) set the band has been doing for MANY years...and it's gotten very cliche by now.

A quick Google search would have avoided these errors...LOL.

I've seen the band many times...actually they and Dan Fogelberg as the opener (RIP) were my first concert EVER...back in 1975 right before "One Of These Nights" was released. They were a much fresher and better band back then...including Mr. Leadon...and without Joe Walsh. Not to take away from your enjoyment...as they say...your mileage may vary.

I'm glad you had a good time.
    Yup, my bad on the spelling of Leadon’s name. I wrote the whole thing in kind of a hurry on my lunch break at work and did not do any double checks on spelling. Also, you are correct about “Saturday Night” being from the 2nd album. I had that wrong too.

I have only seen them once before back in the 90’s so never saw the original lineup pre-Walsh.

Our tix on Monday were $69 which is about on par with other large production shows I have seen lately. Seats closer up were over $100, but I don't remember exactly what they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I think it is unfortunate that Randy Meisner hasn't been part of their resurgence. "Try and Love Again" is one of my favorite songs.
    Glen Frey did talk about Meisner during the show and dedicated “Take It To The Limit” to Randy “wherever he is” just before they played it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Outlaw Man used to be a staple way back when. Desperado was my favorite of theirs. Really surprised to see Bernie back with them. But I can never forgive them for treating Felder like an old boot. Frey and Henley are total assholes and I'd never pay the extortionate prices they charge for tickets. It's unfortunate as I was a huge fan of the early Eagles.
    I had no clue Leadon was a part of this either and was really surprised when they brought him out. His guitar style is totally different from Walsh but it kind of worked well together.

I’ve read Felder’s book and it certainly portrays Frey and Henley in as egomaniac control freaks.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    It's your right not to like Jackson Browne, but at least give the man some respect by spelling his name correctly!

I've seen Jackson Browne in concert too, and it was one of the better concerts out of those I've been to. He was on a triple bill with Maria Muldaur and The Little River Band, who pulled out at the last minute - I never forgave them for that. Anyway, JB gave the impression he was just enjoying himself as opposed to just doing his job, and he went way overtime. this was just before he did the Running On Empty album, with The Loadout/Stay, and that concert gave the song some credibility - he really did seem to enjoy playing, and liked to carry on until he had to practically get carted off the stage.
    I have only seen Browne once in an acoustic concert about 5 years ago. It was just him alone with about a dozen acoustic guitars. He was really good, but at one point he got really pissed off at some guy up in the balcony who kept yelling our requests. Browne totally lost his temper and yelled for security to remove this guy. It was really awkward and the show was kind of strange the rest of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Browne totally lost his temper
    Kinda like he did with Daryl Hannah?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Kinda like he did with Daryl Hannah?
    Exactly what I was thinking at the time. I think we got a little flash of what Hannah may have dealt with. He just totally lost it. You could feel the whole mood of the crowd change afterwards.

Now here's a band I've never seen live but would love to have seen back in the day. I have all their albums up to The Long Run, on vinyl. Listened to them a lot in the 80s. What was their 90s comeback album like? I never heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Now here's a band I've never seen live but would love to have seen back in the day. I have all their albums up to The Long Run, on vinyl. Listened to them a lot in the 80s. What was their 90s comeback album like? I never heard it.
    The 90’s re-union album was “Hell Freezes Over” which was a live album with 4 studio tracks. I think it is great. The live stuff is really good and I like all 4 of the studio tracks as well.

The post-re-union studio album that they did was “Long Road Out Of Eden” which came out in 2007. It is a 2 disc set that is good, but not great. I think they could have taken the strongest songs, made it a single disc, and it would have been a better album. Henley has the best material on it IMO with the Walsh tracks being the weakest. If you are into the Eagles it is worth checking out. It does not rank up with their best, but there is a lot of good material on it.

Letterman did a segment the other night about how the Eagles wouldn't allow the show band to play any of their music:

http://www.spin.com/articles/late-sh...lawsuit-video/

Bernie Leadon lived in the next town down from me in Vermont for a while. I think Ronald Reagans's daughter was his girlfriend.

Letterman had a gag about The Eagles the other night. Apparently, there was a woman in the audience who was going to see them on Saturday, so Dave asked Paul if the band could play some Eagles music. This then turned in a lengthy debate about why they couldn't, legally, play any Eagles songs on the show, with Dave's producer frantically begging him to not egg Paul and the band into playing one of their songs. Then they end up playing a recording of something called Super Charger, which sounds like Life In The Fast Lane, but apparently significantly different enough that it doesn't violate any of the legal ramifications or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    SATURDAY NIGHT (Henley & Frey acoustic)
    TRAIN LEAVES HERE THIS MORNING (Louden, Henley, Frey acoustic)
    PEACEFULL EASY FEELING (Louden, Henley, Frey, Schmidt, acoustic)
    WITCHY WOMAN (Louden, Henley, Frey, Schmidt, Walsh semi-acoustic)
    TEQUILA SUNRISE (full band for the rest of the show)
    DOOLIN DALTON
    DESPERADO REPRISE
    ALREADY GONE
    BEST OF MY LOVE
    LYIN EYES
    ONE OF THESE NIGHTS
    TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT

(INTERMISSION)

PRETTY MAIDS ALL IN A ROW
    I CAN’T TELL YOU WHY
    NEW KID IN TOWN
    LOVE WILL KEEP US ALIVE
    HEARTACHE TONIGHT
    THOSE SHOES
    IN THE CITY
    LIFE’S BEEN GOOD
    THE LONG RUN
    FUNK 49
    LIFE IN THE FAST LANE

ENCORE 1:

HOTEL CALIFORNIA

ENCORE 2:

TAKE IT EASY
    ROCKY MOUNTAIN WAY
    DESPERADO
    Still no Journey Of The Sorcerer, though, huh?

I saw that big three hour documentary they made about the band a couple years ago. There's a point where they're talking about the end of the road of the band's original existence, how they were playing this political fundraiser, and Felder somehow managed to piss of Frey before the concert (by saying "You're welcome...I guess" when whichever politician they were playing for thanked the band for their support). So during the actual show, all night long, the two of them are trading insults between songs (there's a tape of it, they played parts of it in the documentary), with Frey basically threatening to kick Felder's ass as soon as the show was over, and they were back backstage. Apparently, as soon as the last encore ended, Felder threw his guitar to his roadie...er, I mean guitar tech, and ran off stage, jumped in a limo, and told the driver to floor it before Frey could catch up to him.

In the words of Frank Zappa, "Good God, we're so professional!". Oy!

But yeah, Frey and Henley both come off like total putzes in that documentary, in the way that they controlled the band and everything. And then eventually, they couldn't stand being around each other, either, which came to the point where certain songwriting partnerships broke up (I forget if it was Frey who was writing with one of Henley's buddies, or the other way around, but when Frey and Henley went bust, so did the songwriting partnership).

And then there's the whole thing where they're talking about how Randy Meisner hated singing Take It To The Limit, because he didn't have a lot of confidence in his ability to hit that high note at the end. Yeah, I guess it would have been too easy to simply not do the high note (paging, Freddie Mercury). But I guess he got kicked out of the band over his refusal to continue singing that one song.

There's some cool footage in that documentary that looks to be shot at the same show the Hotel California video came from. Would love to see that unedited.

OH yeah, and I never knew that was Frey singing vocal harmony on Bob Seger System's Ramblin' Gamblin' Man. After watching the documentary, I didn't even have to play the record again, I could hear it in my head, "Of course it's Glenn Frey, it obviously sounds like him, and that's why!".