Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: iPod Classic, R.I.P.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm using iTunes as my collection was all already there. I'm mainly using 320 MP3's.

If you're interested I'd talk to him, nice guy.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    My wife still listens to her iPod Touch at work, and her co-workers tease her about having this 'ancient' device. Everyone else uses their phones. I still use my Sony player and it suits me just fine, especially since it plays hi-res audio files. I prefer a separate device to my phone, personally. It's also considerably smaller than a phone, so it's not like it's intrusive to have two devices.
    I tried a Touch and it seemed overly complicated and fragile to me, and oddly low in memory relative to the Classics (at least the one I had). I live somewhere with patchy Internet and wi-fi so I've just kept buying refurbished Classics off eBay when my current one dies and will likely continue to do so as long as someone out there is still refurbishing and selling them.

I still use an iPod touch when I'm at work so listening doesn't drain my phone battery. But I use it mainly to run Spotify. I rarely listen to the music loaded on iTunes anymore. Funny how that turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Here's the guy I got mine from, I'd heard reco's from people I trust and its been great.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PiratePTiP...g_id=650330046

I got mine for the memory, mine has 512GB and they go up to 1TB. I like having my full collection in one place.
    No spinning disc, eh? Solid state boards for all that memory? I see they actually go to 2 TB?

Man, that's nuts. I have a Sony Walkman and I've got a 200 GB mini SD loaded in there.....I think the sound quality is better....but I don't think I can do 2 TB on a min SD!
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

The 1TB & 2TB are slightly deeper my 512GB fits in the same case I had for my previous classic.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I implore everyone to look into Plex, or Plexamp.

It's software that you install on your computer that creates a server where you can store your digital music files. Yes, you can use FLAC. And yes, you can store the actual music on an external drive, and backup to wherever you want. But, install the software on your computer, install the app on your phone, and you're walking around with your entire music collection. The only catch is that you do need Internet access or WiFi, but that's just about everywhere these days.

The same software (Plex, not Plexamp) does the same for pictures, movies and TV shows. So, you can rip and convert your DVDs, as well. And external hard drives are relatively cheap these days.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I implore everyone to look into Plex, or Plexamp.

It's software that you install on your computer that creates a server where you can store your digital music files. Yes, you can use FLAC. And yes, you can store the actual music on an external drive, and backup to wherever you want. But, install the software on your computer, install the app on your phone, and you're walking around with your entire music collection. The only catch is that you do need Internet access or WiFi, but that's just about everywhere these days.

The same software (Plex, not Plexamp) does the same for pictures, movies and TV shows. So, you can rip and convert your DVDs, as well. And external hard drives are relatively cheap these days.
    Gonna try it! Thanks, and I will report back. (Assume it works for Mac and iPhone?)

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    No spinning disc, eh? Solid state boards for all that memory? I see they actually go to 2 TB?

Man, that's nuts. I have a Sony Walkman and I've got a 200 GB mini SD loaded in there.....I think the sound quality is better....but I don't think I can do 2 TB on a min SD!
    I had a mechanical drive based MP3 player. I dropped it and crashed the drive, turning the thing into an expensive brick. The only reason mechanical drives were necessary back in the day was flash memory was massively expensive. My first ever MP3 player was 32 Megabytes, expandable by a max size 32MB Smart Media card to 64MB total. About enough for 1 typical CD ripped in MP3 format.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Here's the guy I got mine from, I'd heard reco's from people I trust and its been great.
    I got my 384 gb from him
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I had a mechanical drive based MP3 player. I dropped it and crashed the drive, turning the thing into an expensive brick. The only reason mechanical drives were necessary back in the day was flash memory was massively expensive. My first ever MP3 player was 32 Megabytes, expandable by a max size 32MB Smart Media card to 64MB total. About enough for 1 typical CD ripped in MP3 format.
    I have a Colossal MP3 player.

It holds about a CD's worth of music, give or take depending on what bitrate you use to rip the files.

I was picking up something at Walgreens several years ago and they had them for about $15 or $20.
    It was so ridiculous, I had to have it.

Gonna try it! Thanks, and I will report back. (Assume it works for Mac and iPhone?)
    I'm not an Apple guy, but I believe it would work on both of those. As long as the app is available in the Apple store.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm not an Apple guy, but I believe it would work on both of those. As long as the app is available in the Apple store.
    It is available. So, I need to put Plex on my Hard Drive where I store my music, and then a Plex App on an iPhone or iPad so I can stream the music from my "server" to the mobile device?

I have a 4 TB hard drive about half full of music (mostly), and it is currently organized as an Apple Music library. Will that create a problem??

I see that to get the Plexamp, I need to sign up for Plex Pass. Nope, the last thing I need is yet another subscription.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

It is available. So, I need to put Plex on my Hard Drive where I store my music, and then a Plex App on an iPhone or iPad so I can stream the music from my "server" to the mobile device?

I have a 4 TB hard drive about half full of music (mostly), and it is currently organized as an Apple Music library. Will that create a problem??
    I'm not sure. But Plex wants you to organize your music in a very specific (and logical, IMO) way, so if it's not the same as your Apple library, you may have to clean some things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I see that to get the Plexamp, I need to sign up for Plex Pass. Nope, the last thing I need is yet another subscription.
    I didn't realize that. They do run deals from time to time, but you can also stream music from the Plex app (without Plexamp), I believe. Plexamp is just designed specifically for music, while the Plex app is catered more to video (but plays music and playlists fine).

Last year I went looking for another tool to store, manage and listen to my library ~40,000 songs. Google killed Google Play Music, which IMHO was THE best music system ever! (Yes I had tried most, even iTunes). Plex is one I tried, but at the moment can't recall why it didn't pass muster for me. Commonly poor organization or tagging, or slow transfer/upload were the culprits for many of these systems. G:/Drive is not ideal and plug-ins are needed to stream the music. I'll take another look at Plex and look forward to reading others' experience.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

So, I put Plex on my Mac, and it was easy to create the server...took some time to go through my external hard drive and organize, but I am using it now and it is quick, and well organized.

My main purpose in doing this, though, was to create a remote ability to play my library from mobile devices. Plexamp requires the PlexPass, at $4.99 a month, but you can just use the Plex App (not Plexamp), on a phone or tablet--and for $4.99 one time activation fee, that device can play from your "server." Mmy iPhone now has Plex App and I tested it briefly.....with wifi or cell data, you can access and play anything from your "server." Quite amazing and cool!

PlexAmp seems to have more bells and whistles--but I am just happy to be able to stream remotely from my library. Very cool, and thanks to Scott for hipping me to this!

This reminds me of Steven Wilson back in his i pod smashing days saying in a disdainful tone "I even saw someone listening to music on their phone the other day!"

At home, I want lossless whenever possible played on the best equipment I can afford. But if I am exercising or whatever, MP3s are fine to crank through my cheaper set of headphones.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    This reminds me of Steven Wilson back in his i pod smashing days saying in a disdainful tone "I even saw someone listening to music on their phone the other day!"
    The Sony Walkman has audio quality that can be HD, better than a CD. If you want to pay for those tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    At home, I want lossless whenever possible played on the best equipment I can afford. But if I am exercising or whatever, MP3s are fine to crank through my cheaper set of headphones.
    With flash memory so inexpensive these days, I can carry several micro SD cards worth of Hi-Res music in my wallet. When my Fiio player runs out, I simply swap out cards.

So, I put Plex on my Mac, and it was easy to create the server...took some time to go through my external hard drive and organize, but I am using it now and it is quick, and well organized.

My main purpose in doing this, though, was to create a remote ability to play my library from mobile devices. Plexamp requires the PlexPass, at $4.99 a month, but you can just use the Plex App (not Plexamp), on a phone or tablet--and for $4.99 one time activation fee, that device can play from your "server." Mmy iPhone now has Plex App and I tested it briefly.....with wifi or cell data, you can access and play anything from your "server." Quite amazing and cool!

PlexAmp seems to have more bells and whistles--but I am just happy to be able to stream remotely from my library. Very cool, and thanks to Scott for hipping me to this!
    Glad to hear that you've had success with it.

Keep your eyes open - they periodically have a deal for a lifetime PlexPass for $75. Definitely worth it, IMO, but also not necessary to enjoy the app.

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    With flash memory so inexpensive these days, I can carry several micro SD cards worth of Hi-Res music in my wallet. When my Fiio player runs out, I simply swap out cards.
    One of my players that I use is a Fiio X1, which I like a lot, though the scroll wheel has gotten jumpy on me. In the interim Fiio has come out with a lot of models since then, but many of those appear to have gone out of production as well, and the ones that are available are far pricier than the X1 was.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    One of my players that I use is a Fiio X1, which I like a lot, though the scroll wheel has gotten jumpy on me. In the interim Fiio has come out with a lot of models since then, but many of those appear to have gone out of production as well, and the ones that are available are far pricier than the X1 was.
    Same with my old X1. But the wheel on my X3 Mk III isn't mechanical, thus eliminating the issue.

Did the Plex thing today, but the library took so long I'm not going to play around with it until tomorrow!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

I'm thinking of giving it a go this week, does it screw up you library for iTunes?
    Ian