Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast

Thread: iPod Classic, R.I.P.

I had to send my phone in for repair to Apple. Bastards have had it for a week and have yet to update me on anything. At least my old 4S still works so I have something to crank tunes when I do my morning walk.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Well, it's been almost a year and a half now since my beloved iPod Classic got knocked off my belt as I was stepping off a bus and took a trip to San Francisco without me. I ended up replacing it with a Sony. Now that I'm used to the differences I do really like it. It's better in some ways, just different in some ways, but the main drawback is the little fiddly transport buttons that I have to stop and look at when I want to use them. I could work the control wheel on the iPod while still walking (and looking where I was going).
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Any particularly good alternatives available at the moment? I'm looking for 250GB of hard drive and easy for a luddite to operate.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

My replacement I-Pod classic is still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I had to send my phone in for repair to Apple. Bastards have had it for a week and have yet to update me on anything.
    Gee, I can't imagine why. It's not like there's a pandemic going on or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Any particularly good alternatives available at the moment? I'm looking for 250GB of hard drive and easy for a luddite to operate.
    I got an Echobox Explorer 6 months ago and I'm liking it a lot so far.

It's Android based and handles all file types I've used so far including FLAC - and I'm finding the sound quality to be better.

Don't remember the hard drive size - it's not huge but it uses micro SD cards so I got a couple of 64GB cards and have all the space I've needed.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    This is like one of those memes - How old were you when you learned Apple still made iPods?
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

My wife still listens to her iPod Touch at work, and her co-workers tease her about having this 'ancient' device. Everyone else uses their phones. I still use my Sony player and it suits me just fine, especially since it plays hi-res audio files. I prefer a separate device to my phone, personally. It's also considerably smaller than a phone, so it's not like it's intrusive to have two devices.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    My wife still listens to her iPod Touch at work, and her co-workers tease her about having this 'ancient' device. Everyone else uses their phones. I still use my Sony player and it suits me just fine, especially since it plays hi-res audio files. I prefer a separate device to my phone, personally. It's also considerably smaller than a phone, so it's not like it's intrusive to have two devices.
    I was a long time hold-out using an MP3 player up to the pandemic. With so much "idle" time on my hands, I loaded my entire library to G:/Drive and now play through my phone using Cloud Player.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I was a long time hold-out using an MP3 player up to the pandemic. With so much "idle" time on my hands, I loaded my entire library to G:/Drive and now play through my phone using Cloud Player.
    Why the switch, just out of curiosity? Assuming the mp3 player isn't broken, that is.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Why the switch, just out of curiosity? Assuming the mp3 player isn't broken, that is.
    MP3 was on last legs and ease of using the phone everywhere in the world without carrying two devices. Plus the phones these days have awesome sound settings and controls. I still have all MP3's on external hard drive as well - super redundancy.

I also still use my Sony Walkman. Recently bought a new one. But well, I don't have a smartphone.

My wife still listens to her iPod Touch at work, and her co-workers tease her about having this 'ancient' device.
    I still use a Sony Discman at work, and often take a cassette Walkman with me when I go for short ("album-length") walks.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    A sad day to see them go for good now. But other mp3 players exist, so I suppose its not a real problem.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

You can still get custom built ipods on etsy
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Still use my I-Pod Classic.

I use my iPod classic and an Echobox Explorer - I don't like the sound quality from the phone's DAC so don't see myself going that way.

lol why

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    lol why
    So I can get 584GB on a hard drive in my pocket and not rely on a 'cloud'. Personal preference.
    Ian

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I have an iPod Nano that was a gift, and the buttons stopped working, so now it's basically a thumb drive for my car that needs annoying software to load.

Are these refurbished? is that what you mean by custom? I'm old school and still use my old click wheel iPod. I have a Ipod touch as well and hate it.... just want something for music. when my 160G iPod finally goes I'm not sure what I will do...

So I can get 584GB on a hard drive in my pocket and not rely on a 'cloud'. Personal preference.
    I also don't cloud, but I would just buy a different mp3 player. I like the ipod but I'm not going to have some random person make one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Are these refurbished? is that what you mean by custom? I'm old school and still use my old click wheel iPod. I have a Ipod touch as well and hate it.... just want something for music. when my 160G iPod finally goes I'm not sure what I will do...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I also don't cloud, but I would just buy a different mp3 player. I like the ipod but I'm not going to have some random person make one for me.
    Here's the guy I got mine from, I'd heard reco's from people I trust and its been great.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PiratePTiP...g_id=650330046

I got mine for the memory, mine has 512GB and they go up to 1TB. I like having my full collection in one place.
    Ian

The eons are closing
    Did you get yours with Rockbox installed or are you using itunes/Mac

And only mp3s or FLAC option too?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit