Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: iPod Classic, R.I.P.

Wow! He plays vinyl at work. I'm in awe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Uploaded 5000 tracks onto my new Samsung S8 phone, still got room for 7500 on the SD card, may have a backup for my Classic ipod if it dies.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm still using my ipod classic

Does anyone have any experience with the retrofitted ipods that are on eBay that have much higher capacities (I see them up to 512GB)? Looks like they have a solid state drive in them along with a new battery. I have 3 160GB ipods, but would certainly consider getting one of these if I could verify that they are stable. I am in the midst of converting all of my CDs to lossless files (narrowly averting a catastrophic loss of all my music files, but that is another story), so 160GB isn't gonna cut it...

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptrick View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the retrofitted ipods that are on eBay that have much higher capacities (I see them up to 512GB)? Looks like they have a solid state drive in them along with a new battery. I have 3 160GB ipods, but would certainly consider getting one of these if I could verify that they are stable. I am in the midst of converting all of my CDs to lossless files (narrowly averting a catastrophic loss of all my music files, but that is another story), so 160GB isn't gonna cut it...
    I am squarely in your camp with both the quantity of Classics and my desire to consolidate to a higher storage version. Please keep us informed what you find out.

I'd be interested in hearing more about this too, though I confess that the Sony Walkman is lovely in it's way. If you don't mind swapping mini-SD cards, the sound quality of the thing is notably superior to the iPod.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Anyone have a preferred MP3 player that can support a 256 GB micro SD card? I'm looking at one on Amazon called the HIFI Walker H2, $139, and I see there's also one called AGPTEK Rocker V2 that's only $69.99.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I have a 256 GB SD card in my Samsung phone full of music.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I have pretty much music on my iPhone, and I have an iPod (somewhere) with 160GB, but I want to get the hell away from iTunes. Even though aith01 helped me with my iPhone and iPod this weekend, I just hate having to use iTunes, and the next phone I buy is going to be cheap because I'm sick of being rooked for expensive mobile phones.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I have pretty much music on my iPhone, and I have an iPod (somewhere) with 160GB, but I want to get the hell away from iTunes. Even though aith01 helped me with my iPhone and iPod this weekend, I just hate having to use iTunes, and the next phone I buy is going to be cheap because I'm sick of being rooked for expensive mobile phones.
    I agree iTunes sucks!!....... Cannot find a reasonable mp3 player at a good cost. Like all apple products, they make a good one and disband them all together. Just the crappy Nano available at ridiculous prices..

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I have a 256 GB SD card in my Samsung phone full of music.
    I have a 256 gig card in my Sony Walkman. And I carry around a couple others, all full of music. Call me crazy.

Anyone have a preferred MP3 player that can support a 256 GB micro SD card? I'm looking at one on Amazon called the HIFI Walker H2, $139, and I see there's also one called AGPTEK Rocker V2 that's only $69.99.
    I have two of these. They also make a great headphone amp style dock that has USB port and RCA inputs and outputs. It will play your PC output, also the player output, and handles most headphones as well.
    Here is the player.
    https://smile.amazon.com/Fiio-Resolu...70_&dpSrc=srch

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I have two of these. They also make a great headphone amp style dock that has USB port and RCA inputs and outputs. It will play your PC output, also the player output, and handles most headphones as well.
    Here is the player.
    Those look good! One question - the thing I liked about the HiFi Walker is that it has no onboard storage, so if you insert a 256 GB SD card, that's your whole block of storage. Does the Fiio work like that? I used to have a player where the storage was split across onboard storage and a card, and it was awkward. Just want to avoid that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Here is the player.
    Do you use these with a 256 GB SD card? If so, how's the performance?

Do you use these with a 256 GB SD card? If so, how's the performance?
    Couldn't be bothered to click the Amazon link and read the description and reviews??

"Massive 256 GB Micro SD storage capacity (Micro SD card not included)"

I upgraded my phone and I kept the old 4s. My old iPod is about shot so I stripped just about every app out of the 4s and loaded it with 1000 songs. So now when I walk I've got a wide selection of rocking tunes to choose from. This morning: UFO's classic Strangers in the Night. It's not like having my entire collection available but more than enough variety to power my daily walks.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I upgraded my phone and I kept the old 4s. My old iPod is about shot so I stripped just about every app out of the 4s and loaded it with 1000 songs. So now when I walk I've got a wide selection of rocking tunes to choose from. This morning: UFO's classic Strangers in the Night. It's not like having my entire collection available but more than enough variety to power my daily walks.
    Even though you have no active cell service on your 4s, you are able to dial and connect to 911 emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    This is what I usually do (except with Androids )
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Couldn't be bothered to click the Amazon link and read the description and reviews??

"Massive 256 GB Micro SD storage capacity (Micro SD card not included)"
    I read the Amazon description and several reviews. Some people said the Fiio player took some time to read the SD cards, so I was asking about Jubal's experience if in fact he used a 256 GB SD card. I wasn't asking if it accepted 256 GB SD cards

But thanks for chiming in, you were as helpful and courteous as always!

I read the Amazon description and several reviews. Some people said the Fiio player took some time to read the SD cards, so I was asking about Jubal's experience if in fact he used a 256 GB SD card. I wasn't asking if it accepted 256 GB SD cards

But thanks for chiming in, you were as helpful and courteous as always!

I find that my "favorites" or most-listened to stuff gets stored on the internal storage of the Sony, and I can swap Mini SD cards in and out depending on mood....so, one card is pretty much all jazz and fusion, one card is pretty much all classical, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyNeo View Post
    I'm still using my ipod classic
    Ditto, I'm dreading when my crashes. Thats all I want, something to put my music on... I don't need any feature I already have on my phone!!

I was wondering how Neil Young's Pono player was doing and it turns out it was given the bullet last year:

http://www.noise11.com/news/r-i-p-po...layer-20170423

My 192 gig Sony Walkman is still serving me very well. After a few years now, I can give a pretty good pros and cons list:

Pros:

- Very small and lightweight, slips in my pocket easily when walking, exercising, etc.
    - Excellent sound (obviously decent headphones are important here), all formats of hi-res audio files supported
    - Not many unnecessary bells and whistles, a reasonably dedicated music player - you can put photos on it or use the FM radio feature, but I doubt anybody does that.
    - Battery life is very strong, I tend to go several days between charges
    - SD slot capability of 128 gig, so those with huge music libraries can swap them out easily
    - Can use simple drag/drop functions from any kind of file manager, if so desired

Cons:

- Can't move things around directly on the device from MediaGo (unlike with iPod/iTunes), for example if editing a playlist, I have to delete the old one from the device and drag the new one on. Not a huge deal, but I still miss that ability.
    - Main storage (64 gig) and SD card are treated separately when using MediaGo, so you have to switch between them to see the different libraries. However, the device itself recognizes both as one big library, so this is only an issue when looking at the libraries on the computer (again, when making playlists, etc.)
    - After being off for a couple of days, takes about 30 seconds to boot up ("Creating Library" screen). A minor annoyance only.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    My 192 gig Sony Walkman is still serving me very well. After a few years now, I can give a pretty good pros and cons list:

Pros:

- Very small and lightweight, slips in my pocket easily when walking, exercising, etc.
    - Excellent sound (obviously decent headphones are important here), all formats of hi-res audio files supported
    - Not many unnecessary bells and whistles, a reasonably dedicated music player - you can put photos on it or use the FM radio feature, but I doubt anybody does that.
    - Battery life is very strong, I tend to go several days between charges
    - SD slot capability of 128 gig, so those with huge music libraries can swap them out easily
    - Can use simple drag/drop functions from any kind of file manager, if so desired

Cons:

- Can't move things around directly on the device from MediaGo (unlike with iPod/iTunes), for example if editing a playlist, I have to delete the old one from the device and drag the new one on. Not a huge deal, but I still miss that ability.
    - Main storage (64 gig) and SD card are treated separately when using MediaGo, so you have to switch between them to see the different libraries. However, the device itself recognizes both as one big library, so this is only an issue when looking at the libraries on the computer (again, when making playlists, etc.)
    - After being off for a couple of days, takes about 30 seconds to boot up ("Creating Library" screen). A minor annoyance only.
    I agree with both your pros and cons. My experience is similar. Sound is definitely better than any Apple player. BTW I have a 256G card in mine. No prob reading it, though it takes some time to "create library" if you are swapping cards or booting up after no use for a few days.