Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: iPod Classic, R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I always feel a bit embarrassed when I take my portable CD player out on the train.
    And me with my Walkman.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I always feel a bit embarrassed when I take my portable CD player out on the train.
    Not me. I'm happily and defiantly "old school". I just hate having to change batteries all the time.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    B
    Again, why is this an issue? "Oh no! Apple knows what music I listen to!" Yeah....and...?
    Some part of me thinks it's none of their f***ing business, quite frankly. That the move from the cash economy to the information economy has been one of increasing opaqueness, wherein one is left not sure exactly what one is trading, and how far it afield it will go. Sure my money, once traded becomes anothers money, and goes on to be traded again. But that my information becomes the property of another, to be traded to yet another, is a different matter entirely. It isn't just Apple, but anyone Apple chooses to trade with.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Apple has all their customers by the balls.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    Not me. I'm happily and defiantly "old school". I just hate having to change batteries all the time.
    OMG - the worst is when I get into bed, put on my headphones, press PLAY, and after a few seconds of music the batteries die. If I don't have fresh batteries in the night table, what a letdown...

Ken Golden knows what you listen to. He uses that information to "suggest" other albums you might like, when you're browsing at a festival. Invasive bastard!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    And me with my Walkman.
    I still have my walkman...what I don't have is any cassettes.

Count me among the "old school." I play CDs in my car, one at a time. I'm probably taking a bit of a risk changing CDs while I'm driving too, but I've gotten it down to a science. I probably have close to a hundred CDrs and albums in my car at any given time. I don't feel the need to have my entire CD collection residing on a little box. I don't get it either, but to each his own.

To answer Scott's "why?"

This:

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Some part of me thinks it's none of their f***ing business, quite frankly.
    Well, it's part of it anyway. Like everyone these days I use the "cloud" every time I send an email, or do a monetary transaction on line. I'd prefer not to but it's too convenient not to, and it's getting to the point where we'll be forced to whether we like it or not. Like many have chimed in already, why do I need a damn cloud to hold my music, when I have it all there on my personal player any time I want? Why have to depend on being wifi-ed and blue toothed 24/7? And one that amazes me is how we cherish our privacy so much, yet have no reservation about putting our lives in "the cloud." Yeah, if we're living on the grid our lives are in the cloud, nothing we can do about that (unless you're roughing it in Alaska or the Yukon), but it just amazes me how we say our privacy is so important, and yet just throw our lives up there in a cloud somewhere and we think everything is hunky dory. I have this friend (older than me actually) who showed me the latest Iphone (at the time) and he was drooling all over it and telling me how awesome it was that all the pictures he took with the phone were being backed up directly to "the cloud." I wanted to scream.

And the other thing I don't get is people listening to music all day, everywhere they go, all the time. I swear, every person I see under 40 has "ear buds" either in their ears, or dangling off their heads. How do people live like that? Yeah, I love music too but I want to hear the ambient sounds around me when I'm working, sleeping, shitting, shaving, working out at the health club, etc. My god make it stop!

Seems to me that there is a fine line between old school / audiophile and just missing out, but to each his own

I was there about 10 years ago, first with toting around 50 or so cassettes and a walkman at the pool or while on the deck outside, or in my car, and later CD's with a Discman

No interest in MP-3's, when my lovely bride brought me a 60 gig pod photo for Father's Day I was sorry she spent the money but how the worm has turned since then with improvements to the pod and the advent of home networking - I'm a complete and total convert

The somewhat surreal situation of having your huge collection available on any of your systems or devices, with a remote as neat as a smartphone or tablet trumps any perceived sound quality differences for me, I fully understand the old school crowd will feel I'm the one missing out on better sound

The only "old school" I was interested in was rocking that 60 gig Ipod in my ride until last year when it was stolen, rather than the gapless playback of the classic

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    And the other thing I don't get is people listening to music all day, everywhere they go, all the time. I swear, every person I see under 40 has "ear buds" either in their ears, or dangling off their heads.
    I can't speak for the under 40's but I wear my Sport Sennheisers for dog walks, at the pool, doing things outside the house, etc

Pretty much anytime I'm outside without my bride

There's no better way of making it known that you aren't interested in any idle conversation IMO : )

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

There's no better way of making it known that you aren't interested in any idle conversation IMO : )

BG
    Is that so? That is exactley why I get so sick of seeing people in public with ear buds in their ears. Look I have no fucking desire to talk to a goddamned stranger on the street, but this "I'm isolating myself from the world. Don't bother me, leave me alone" business is one reason why our culture is so fucked up. Besides, don't you WANT to hear sounds around you while you're outside? Anyone can sneak up on you. God I just don't get you people.

BTW, Brian:

That post is nothing personal against you, I'm just ranting about the whole mentallity of it. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine, seeing drones walking around wearing their technology on their heads, cutting themselves off from everything around them. I think it's kind of dangerous.

Easy there Vic. I'm sure you were waving your finger at all the kids with Walkmen headphones glued to their ears in the 80s, right? Did you give all those crazy kids a piece of your mind while they were walking around with huge radio over their shoulders pressed against their heads? Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Easy there Vic. I'm sure you were waving your finger at all the kids with Walkmen headphones glued to their ears in the 80s, right? Did you give all those crazy kids a piece of your mind while they were walking around with huge radio over their shoulders pressed against their heads? Sheesh.
    It all started with the Walkman actually. I had one too but I stopped using it while I was out and about because I didn't like the idea of cutting off the sounds around me. I got tired of being tapped on the shoulder while I was sitting in my cubicle. I couldn't workout at the gym with them on either, with all that sweat getting all over the headphones. It just became more of a hassle than it was worth for me (for me, not for you). The boomboxes carried on shoulders didn't bother me as much. At least you were still aware of what was going on around you. The problem was that a lot of those kids with boomboxes were blasting their music and being rude.

Is that so? That is exactley why I get so sick of seeing people in public with ear buds in their ears. Look I have no fucking desire to talk to a goddamned stranger on the street, but this "I'm isolating myself from the world. Don't bother me, leave me alone" business is one reason why our culture is so fucked up. Besides, don't you WANT to hear sounds around you while you're outside? Anyone can sneak up on you. God I just don't get you people.

That post is nothing personal against you, I'm just ranting about the whole mentallity of it. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine, seeing drones walking around wearing their technology on their heads, cutting themselves off from everything around them. I think it's kind of dangerous.
    I don't even know where to begin with some of that, but anyway, I have very high paying but also a very high pressure job

I'm forced to talk to people all work week that I normally wouldn't, the last I need is to have forced conversation on my free time

I'll provide a recent example

I'm hanging at my neighborhood pool on a lazy Saturday, deep in left field listening to some Yes

I'm kind of off to the side, under a tree, sunglasses and headphones - it frankly couldn't be more obvious I'm doing a Garbo

So I'm in the middle of "The Remembering" studio run-through when I hear someone talking to me, I Yes "Open my eyes", and it's some 300lb older dumbass who apparently felt he need to make a comment on all the St Louis Cardinals shit I had with me.

So I remove my phones and the gem he couldn't wait to lay on me is.....

"I don't know if I want to sit next to a Cardinals fan, I'm from Philadelphia"

To which I responded, "Well then don't!", returning to the Affirmatives

As to safety concerns, yes, need to look both ways before crossing

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post

The somewhat surreal situation of having your huge collection available on any of your systems or devices, with a remote as neat as a smartphone or tablet trumps any perceived sound quality differences for me, I fully understand the old school crowd will feel I'm the one missing out on better sound
    Why are you missing out on sound? Did you not rip your collection to lossless?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Why are you missing out on sound? Did you not rip your collection to lossless?
    No, I have not

320kps MP-3 for the most part

Storage is cheap and plentiful, but even 3 TB drives get filled up at some point

At 320 kps or even a little lower, I find the difference negligible

BG

No, I have not

320kps MP-3 for the most part

Storage is cheap and plentiful, but even 3 TB drives get filled up at some point
    You have 3TB worth of MP3 files???? Wow.

At 320 kps or even a little lower, I find the difference negligible

BG
    Then you're NOT sacrificing any sound

And the other thing I don't get is people listening to music all day, everywhere they go, all the time. I swear, every person I see under 40 has "ear buds" either in their ears, or dangling off their heads. How do people live like that? Yeah, I love music too but I want to hear the ambient sounds around me when I'm working, sleeping, shitting, shaving, working out at the health club, etc. My god make it stop!
    LOL! Grocery shopping would be completely unbearable for me if I didn't do it with my iPod. It's the only thing that keeps me from punching someone in the head.

I agree with the ambient sounds when I'm on the street. I see people wearing iPods while they bike ride all the time. I prefer to hear the cars coming up behind me to know that they are there.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Don't own one Apple product here.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Some part of me thinks it's none of their f***ing business, quite frankly. That the move from the cash economy to the information economy has been one of increasing opaqueness, wherein one is left not sure exactly what one is trading, and how far it afield it will go. Sure my money, once traded becomes anothers money, and goes on to be traded again. But that my information becomes the property of another, to be traded to yet another, is a different matter entirely. It isn't just Apple, but anyone Apple chooses to trade with.
    Ken Golden knows what you listen to. He uses that information to "suggest" other albums you might like, when you're browsing at a festival. Invasive bastard!

Exactly. And so does Amazon, and just about every other major Internet retailer. You're not shielding yourself by just avoiding having music in the cloud, and I'd argue that your music may be one of the most innocuous things to use in the cloud.

I'm hanging at my neighborhood pool on a lazy Saturday, deep in left field listening to some Yes

I'm kind of off to the side, under a tree, sunglasses and headphones - it frankly couldn't be more obvious I'm doing a Garbo

So I'm in the middle of "The Remembering" studio run-through when I hear someone talking to me, I Yes "Open my eyes", and it's some 300lb older dumbass who apparently felt he need to make a comment on all the St Louis Cardinals shit I had with me.

So I remove my phones and the gem he couldn't wait to lay on me is.....

"I don't know if I want to sit next to a Cardinals fan, I'm from Philadelphia"

To which I responded, "Well then don't!", returning to the Affirmatives
    For the record, I'm nowhere near 300 lbs., but I approve of this dumbass's approach.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

…uh, ok.

LOL ^

But I'm forgetting the most important part

This behavior buys me an extra couple of hours of listening time that I wouldn't have otherwise every week

Sparking up then taking the pups out for some fresh air / times square is some good stuff,

28540_1460071544564_321414_n.jpg

as is a few hours made in the shade at the pool

243118_2104149566112_6650402_o.jpg

For the record, I'm nowhere near 300 lbs., but I approve of this dumbass's approach.
    Well, the fat fuck sat down nearby anyway!

BG

Where in Florida do you live? I work in midtown Manhattan, and sometimes just to survive the congestion and noise of Grand Central Station and Times Square some people need a protective bubble around them.

Banned

Exactly. And so does Amazon, and just about every other major Internet retailer. You're not shielding yourself by just avoiding having music in the cloud, and I'd argue that your music may be one of the most innocuous things to use in the cloud.

If you don't have an Apple product, then the avoidance of the cloud is perfectly logical. The Android OS is open to anybody.

I don't need to have my whole library on my 80g IPod, so I go for CD quality. My CD purchases from Amazon are auto ripped to the cloud. However, the playing of these uses much of my data plan. iTunes Radio sounds pretty good and the stations I've created from artists come up with some pretty deep tracks. With CD quality on my iPod or iPhone, I can USB into my receiver on my good living room system and get full quality.

While some may consider quality from a portable as not as critical, Apple has been obsessive about the quality of the D/A convertor in theses devices. In particular, the 3rd gen IPod was so good as a playback device, some audiophiles modified the drive from the D/A (Wolfson device) for high quality headphones. The weak link is the headphone amp in portables. The 30 pin connector on the IPod delivered analog line level. The iPhones with the all digital output required an adapter with a D/A, an adapter which seems expensive but it has a Wolfson D/A to produce the analog signal for the 30 pin connector interface. Steve Jobs was a fanatic for audio quality, and in his last years he was considering higher fidelity delivery options for ITunes. Now the only people supporting high def audio download purchases are B and W, with Peter Gabriel.

Greetings all. I have a iPod Touch 4th Generation that I had to compress the songs to the crappy 128kps just to fit my nearly 9200+ songs on. Now I personally don't "cloud" a damn thing especially my music. My frustration with Apple is that they assume that everyone wants to cloud what they do not often listen to on a frequent basis and that music fans often want to compress their files just to fit them on such a limited media. Not only am I a stickler for the sound of my music, but my albums must have the album art as well. The bad thing about the iPad and their ilk is that Apple for legal reasons have taken away the ability to sync lyrics with songs absolutely buzz killing the enjoyment of the "Music" app. I never use the "music" app on my iPad. I went so far as to tell Apple that they should give to user the ability to remove the app. The iPod Classic at 160GBs was perfect yet I only have 30 percent of my music library on iTunes. Apple will most likely not listen to their customers but someday someone will listen to the user but allowing them to store as much music on their device, give them the opportunity to listen to their music at a highest bitrate and enjoy having the cover art and lyric without having to limit themselves. Google is also a major fuck up if you use their app. Music that I personally uploaded via CDS I own and want to listen to are clouded on certain albums.
    Last edited by Chuck AzEee!; 09-14-2014 at 04:44 PM.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    While some may consider quality from a portable as not as critical, Apple has been obsessive about the quality of the D/A convertor in theses devices. In particular, the 3rd gen IPod was so good as a playback device, some audiophiles modified the drive from the D/A (Wolfson device) for high quality headphones. The weak link is the headphone amp in portables. The 30 pin connector on the IPod delivered analog line level. The iPhones with the all digital output required an adapter with a D/A, an adapter which seems expensive but it has a Wolfson D/A to produce the analog signal for the 30 pin connector interface.
    My 60 gig photo had the Wolfson chip, but it's playback was not gapless, so a trade off

I don't use the headphone jack in the car, it's always the pin connector and IMO the Classic doesn't sound as good as the Photo did

I hope the fucker who stole it found the collection "interesting"

BG
    Last edited by Brian Griffin; 09-14-2014 at 12:24 PM.